News:

• May 06, 2024, 11:23:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LinkedIn Invites  (Read 1094 times)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
LinkedIn Invites
« on: October 13, 2014, 08:14:13 PM »
  For a while now I have been on the hunt for a new job so I can get off this second shift-80-mile-a-day- merry-go-round, and in pursuit of that, I thought it might be wise to get signed up on LinkedIn. I completed that process the other day, and it seems like they get into your personal email and send out an invitation to anyone you may have contacted by email! I have gotten messages from several people thanking me for the invite but declining and such and I just have to apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing any of you. If I had known that this would happen I wouldn't have signed up for it. So far the only results it has resulted in is  annoying people! On the upside, I guess, is the fact that all the people in Nigeria and other foreign countries that are holding money for me in off shore accounts have been notified also!
   Again, sorry for any inconvenience, and if you get a strange email from me, just disregard and delete it.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline George Grossardt

• Commander
Re: LinkedIn Invites
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 08:42:27 PM »
This has not been my experience at all with LinkedIn.  They do not send out messages to connect.  Something else is going on.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:44:49 PM »
When you signed up, did you set your preferences for email, or did you just say yes to all the prompts? I'm a LinkedIn member and that hasn't happend to me.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »
I don't respond to any of those requests.  But then, since I'm retired, I'd be of little value to anyone anyway.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 01:16:39 AM »
They push you to let them know what your email is, so that they can use your email list for just that.

Which is pretty dumb.  It's supposed to be a professional network, not an "all your buddies and their wives and mistresses, too" network.

Good luck in your search!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 03:56:45 AM »
Yep, I had the same issue a while ago and it for sure was annoying. But I understand it had something to do with some hackers stealing a few million or billion passwords.
L

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 05:51:14 AM »
I joined Linkedin at the invitation of another modeler.  Now I realize the invite was automatic, not personal.

Pretty soon I was getting e mails from people in my address book asking why I invited them to join Linkedin.

On the same subject, I didn't add them to my address book.  AOL did it automatically when they e mailed me long ago.
Paul Smith

Mike Griffin

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 07:42:28 AM »
Dan,

I had the same thing happen to me. 

Mike

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 08:56:58 AM »
I kept wondering why you guys wanted  me to join that garbage, even got one from a well noted administrator.   I have not responded to any of them.   Also if you expected a response to a message and didn't get it, it probably came up on my spam mail.   If it is really important, use the PM on this forum even tho I'm still getting sites  of naked women.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brian Massey

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • California Car Clubs
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 10:21:52 AM »
I kept wondering why you guys wanted  me to join that garbage, even got one from a well noted administrator.   I have not responded to any of them.   Also if you expected a response to a message and didn't get it, it probably came up on my spam mail.   If it is really important, use the PM on this forum even tho I'm still getting sites  of naked women.
I guess that's why I get mulitple "requests" a month to join; most of them from people I have no clue about.

Did someone say it's a "professional" organization?

Oh well. And good luck in your search. I haven't had to work for the man since 2000; and don't miss it. But I am busier now than then; go figure.

Brian
While flying the pattern, my incompetence always exceeds my expectations.

AMA 55421
Madera, CA

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 02:59:45 PM »
yes  I made the schoolboy error of joining and started getting a lot of unwanted stuff so I went into my linked in profile and changed everything so that the user didn't have a valid email address or any other info and that seems to have stopped the nuisance
Regards
Mike Nelson

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 04:20:13 PM »
   When i did it, I was in a hurry and trying to make sure I stayed in contact with a guy I had been trying to find for a while. He was a friend of my late little brother, and I wanted to contact him regarding some kart racing stuff of my brothers that I need to find a home for. I had a little excitement and a little emotion going so I'm sure I clicked on something I shouldn't have. I'll have to do like pipemakermike did and make some changes, maybe just delete the whole thing.
   I wasn't too worried about a virus or anything because all the responses I got were for the invite and from people I knew.
   Thanks a lot for the feedback,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Sean McEntee

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 05:05:33 PM »
Did that Nigerian deal pay out?  LL~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here