News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:26:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Louis Rakin's New Ride!!!  (Read 2873 times)

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Louis Rakin's New Ride!!!
« on: September 26, 2009, 03:46:57 PM »
OK so it's not a plane but still very kewl.
I ran into Louis at our local car show. Lots of nice shinny stuff.

Not sure how Lou did, we had to leave early.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Online Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: Louis Rakin's New Ride!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 03:47:43 PM »
Second photo
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 06:44:43 PM »
Ended up third in the 1955-1977 Ford Class.  It is a 64 Fairlane 4Dr Granny car with 39K original miles.  It is an unrestored car but still does very well at the local car shows.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 10:32:58 PM »
Ty,

Wow, I don't remember all that.  But, yes it is one of the Fairlanes you have seen in the garage.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 10:57:31 PM »
Well, it's not a Thunderbolt, but still pretty cool.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 06:15:40 AM »
I have three or four photos of the Chrysler Thunderboldt my father took back in the late 30's or early 40's at the local volunteer firedept. The Fire Chief was also a  Chrysler dealer. I'll post them later. But I realize you were refering to the Thunderbird. H^^

Ford Thunderbolt:

http://www.angelfire.com/hi/427fairlane/history.html
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Online Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 06:22:24 AM »
Nice.  Grandpa has a 62 Falcon that does very well at regional car shows.  I say regional because the big car show we go to attracts people from all over the Northeast.  Two years in a row, the Falcon has taken 2nd place two years in a row, and now the guy next to us was saying that he now needs to enter the car in the senior class because it has placed twice.  That guy next to us also took best in show with an INCREDIBLE 55 Mercury, it was beautiful.

Matt Colan

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 08:02:12 AM »
Boy that Fairlane brings back memories.  My first new car.  64 Fairlane 2DR hardtop with 2 barrel 289 v-8 and 4 speed transmission.  Couldn't get the 4 barrel on the engine at the time I bought it.  120+ thousand miles when I got rid of it.  It was on it's second engine.   Color was Salmon or pink as I called it.  At the same time only two other Ford cars with the same color. A Galaxie and Continental.  I have wished many times I could have kept it to restore.  Went to many contests with it as well many trips down the drag strip in G stock.  Having fun, DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 10:50:19 AM »
Ty,

Nope. As Dick noted, I was referring to the 63-65 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt. Dick's link is pretty good. I recently watched a Wrecks to Riches that outlined taking an old wreck of a 65 Fairlane Thunderbolt found under a tree in an orchard and turning it into a show stopper. Coolest moly orange paint I've ever seen. The original had a 427 and owned the drag strip for quite a few years (comes from growing up next door to guys that built mopar super stockers in the late 60s and 70s. They were always whining about the Thunderbolt). The WtoR guys put in a custom built Bradley 525ci. in the one they built. Yikes.

Here's a before and after pictures. You too can have one -- for about $60,000
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
Hi Louis,

Very nice original car. I like cars as they are, especially the ones that are as clean as yours.  In my neighborhood there is an original model T sedan. It is remarkable. The engine is very interesting if I recall the fan belt is leather. LOL the car is roomy and very open. Have fun.  Chuck
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
Ty,

Nope. As Dick noted, I was referring to the 63-65 Ford Fairlane Thunderbolt. Dick's link is pretty good. I recently watched a Wrecks to Riches that outlined taking an old wreck of a 65 Fairlane Thunderbolt found under a tree in an orchard and turning it into a show stopper. Coolest moly orange paint I've ever seen. The original had a 427 and owned the drag strip for quite a few years (comes from growing up next door to guys that built mopar super stockers in the late 60s and 70s. They were always whining about the Thunderbolt). The WtoR guys put in a custom built Bradley 525ci. in the one they built. Yikes.

Here's a before and after pictures. You too can have one -- for about $60,000

Hi randy,

Nice catch on the '64 Thunderbolt.  A friend of mine from Milton FL bought Gas Rhonda's T-Bolt (National Champ) and was still running it in 1/8th mile drags a few years ago.  When I was a member of the Super Ford club I had a '63 1/2 Factory 427 Sportsroof 4 spd. Galaxie.  Through research, Ford had Dearborn Steel specially modify 53 of the 1964 Fairlanes into the Thunderbolt chassis configuration strictly for selected Drag Racing buyers.  The big FE 427 wouldn't fit between the shock towers of the '64 Fairlane so work had to be done.  There were only 53 T-Bolts documented from Fomoco.  50 4 spd cars and 3 automatics.  The actual factory project was only for the '64 cars.  In fact, when the 427 engine was debuted in the 63 1/2 Galaxie (for NASCAR purposes actually, drag racing was a nice spinoff), there was a build sheet that offered no options as to drive train/suspension, etc., except for the option of 1 or 2 4bbl. carbs.  That was the only way they could be originally ordered.  I saw the original inter company memo as to how the cars were to be sold, etc..  Mine came off the Norfolk assembly line where Holman/Moody received there cars and it was a single carb engine with transistorized ignition.  I attended a Racer's Reunion at Darlington Speedway yesterday where I got to talk with several of the H/M guys, and many of the old NASCAR drivers, some of whom I had not spoken to in 30-40 years, we talked a lot about the old cars.  Wish I still had my old '63!

Nice car, Louis. ;D

Mongo
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 08:25:12 PM »
Bill,

The Kirby's (my next door neighbors growing up) ran a 69 (I think) Plymouth Satellite as a Super Stock. Trick push button automatic. I was a 'Cuda guy myself. Had a 67 Fastback (383 Formula S package) that I really wish I'd kept then later a 70 E-body with 440 hemi (along with the suspension upgrades). Very cool car in the original "In-Violet" color. Alas, this one was sold when I went through my VW phase (built hot rod V-dubs for awhile) then cool cars were abandoned entirely when I got married.

Sure miss that 67. It was a very slick car that could carry planes.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 11:04:51 PM »
Ever see one of these?? #^

Or how about this one?? y1

"Tight Lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 12:07:42 AM »
Bill,

The Kirby's (my next door neighbors growing up) ran a 69 (I think) Plymouth Satellite as a Super Stock. Trick push button automatic.
1964  was the last year for the push button automatic.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 12:09:24 AM »
Ever see one of these?? #^

"Tight Lines!"

Wes

The first, I believe, is a futuristic Imperial.  The second was the Chrysler Turbine Car.
AMA 62221

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 07:45:15 AM »
Got the second one!  y1
The first car was designed by Andy DiDia, a clothing designer.
His ONE car design is this DiDia 150 and was owned by Bobby Darin.

Check this out! One of my favorites! Movie was very informative too!

http://www.laubly.com/1948tucker.htm

"Tight Lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here