News:

• March 28, 2024, 09:59:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Loop sleeve size for crimping CD size leadout lines from wing tip  (Read 1110 times)

Online Guy Markham

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Need source and ID size to crimp the heavy CD lead out lines from the wing  ???
You only have to floss the teeth you want to keep!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Loop sleeve size for crimping CD size leadout lines from wing tip
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 04:18:48 PM »
"CD" size?

Whachuu building?  For stunt most people use 0.027" leadouts, and wrap them using the method for wrapping lines that's called out in the AMA rules.  You can also use the crimp sleeves that MBS supplies for terminating lines, if you're lazy.  If you go that way, I recommend you use the swaging tool that MBS sells -- it's not what the rules say you can do for lines, but I suspect it makes a better termination than squeezing the sleeve with pliers.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Guy Markham

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 07:16:34 PM »
Thanks , Tim for your help. I am building a modified Blue Max and will name it " Foo Bird". I have a crimping tool by Sava but will probably take your advise and line wrap the lead outs with copper. What gauge do you use? Best, Guy
You only have to floss the teeth you want to keep!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 07:33:39 PM »
Thanks , Tim for your help. I am building a modified Blue Max and will name it " Foo Bird". I have a crimping tool by Sava but will probably take your advise and line wrap the lead outs with copper. What gauge do you use? Best, Guy

Oh, I'm the wrong guy to ask that question.  I use 36 or 34 gauge magnet wire, but that's because I have some honkin' big rolls that I inherited from an uncle who hand-built RC equipment back in the 1950's (I have it down to 44 gauge, but 36 gauge is already a bit crazy).  I'm not sure if you could easily find it today.  Hopefully someone else will chime in with a more normal source.  The stuff that Sig sells (used to sell?) is OK.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 05:00:00 AM »
My initial reaction to CD wire was the old engine classes. 1/2A, A,B,C, etc. Some of the pre packaged leadout wire sets still have that on the tag. Or maybe I have old packages.  If I'm wrong what is CD wire exactly.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 01:20:10 PM »
MBS Model Supply also has wrapping wire.  Coated and uncoated.  Chec his list you may see other stuff you can't do with out. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here