News:

• April 18, 2024, 08:11:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dremel shopping  (Read 695 times)

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Dremel shopping
« on: March 16, 2024, 09:00:16 AM »
Time to replace older dremel. What is a suitable replacement? Cordless or cord?  Which  model is best for lower cost ( not cheapo Harbor Fright imitation)
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Dremel shopping
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 09:29:59 AM »
I understand your problem.  For me, the time between "Dremel" replacements is so long that products come and go without most of us using them.

The last time I needed such a tool I went to "Production Tool" an industrial supplier with professional grade stuff.  The unit I bought lasted long enough to satisfy me, but not doubt, it has been replaced by newer models.  I trust 110 volt AC for this sort of thing.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2024, 11:13:21 AM »
Wal-Mart and other hardware stores have Dremel equipment and sets.  The one I have was purchased at a swap meet years ago.  Should have bought two of the sets as they were rechargable and the guy was only asking 25.00 dollars for each of them.  Still have my original Dremel set that has a cord for power from house current.  Had an off brand tool that worked great until one day it started smoking..  It went out side until smoke stopped.   I thought it was balsa dust but when I hit it with air gun nothing came out.  It is now buried deep in local trash dump. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 01:00:42 PM »
I’ve been really happy with my Millwaukie 12 volt cordless.
I bought tool only since I already had batteries and chargers.
I also have three corded tools but rarely use them now since the cordless is so much more convenient.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2024, 01:36:18 PM »
Do NOT get the off brand Harbor Freight model. Stick with Dremel.  I got the 12v model and I could not be happier with it.  Thats my suggestion.

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2024, 07:23:40 PM »
I have had a cordless Dremel for about 20 years that has a NIMH battery.  One battery has lasted the whole time and holds a charge for many months.  I have never had it go dead in storage.  It is nice and light weight but nowhere near the power of a corded Dremel.  It you load it too much, it stops due, I suppose, to current draw limiting circuitry.  Wait a few seconds and it will run again.

For heavy work, I start with the corded Dremel tool every time. 

I would stick with Dremel.

Only problem I have ever had with the corded Dremel was the clear plastic flexible drive shaft dried up and split (after close to 30 years of use) during a heavy grinding session.  I found replacement drive shafts on Amazon for fairly cheap.

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2024, 07:27:01 PM »
Variable speed is very nice! 

I consider it required.

Online Arlan McKee

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2024, 08:19:10 AM »
I have had a cordless Dremel for about 20 years that has a NIMH battery.  One battery has lasted the whole time and holds a charge for many months.  I have never had it go dead in storage.  It is nice and light weight but nowhere near the power of a corded Dremel.  It you load it too much, it stops due, I suppose, to current draw limiting circuitry.  Wait a few seconds and it will run again.

For heavy work, I start with the corded Dremel tool every time. 

I would stick with Dremel.

Only problem I have ever had with the corded Dremel was the clear plastic flexible drive shaft dried up and split (after close to 30 years of use) during a heavy grinding session.  I found replacement drive shafts on Amazon for fairly cheap.
I have a cordless Dremel with the Lithium ion battery and it stops under a load also except you have to turn it off to reset it each time which will drive you crazy. The small barrel corded DC Dremel does the same thing.

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2024, 08:38:33 AM »
With the kind of work I do in my shop I have several different Dremels including one cordless and the others 110ac plus one Fordham.  ($40.00 at a garage sale!)  They are all great and worth the expense. My only problems have also been the flex shafts, but hey, mine are many years old with much abusive use!  For me, it can only be Dremel, well worth the money.
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2024, 03:34:17 PM »
Look at the Milwaukee one.  Standard batteries.  cheap knock-off batteries work fine. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2024, 04:03:33 PM »
I went through several Dremel rotary tools that were what I consider delicate.  The plastic coupler that links the motor to the chuck would fail often.   About 15 years ago I bought a Black and Decker rotary tool and put the Dremel adjustable chuck I had on the Dremel tool. The B&D has not failed me yet!!! Amazing.  I use the thing nearly every week.   It has adjustable speed too.

You might consider that one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-DECKER-6-Piece-3-Speed-Rotary-Multipurpose-Rotary-Tool-Kit-with-Soft-Case/50201389
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 12:37:20 AM by Rusty »

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2024, 08:29:11 PM »
I'm only on my 2nd Dremel. The first one was a deluxe ball bearing model, but the bearings went Tango Utah before I thought they'd oughta. The second one has sleeve bearings and I'm happy with it. Both are 120v AC. I use "danger discs" a lot with it. I also have Dremel's accessory speed control unit, and I really like that option a lot. It did work for a foam cutter, but some are not enthusiasts of that useage...it is still 120v. after all.  VD~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2024, 08:42:49 AM »

You might consider that one.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-DECKER-6-Piece-3-Speed-Rotary-Multipurpose-Rotary-Tool-Kit-with-Soft-Case/50201389
[/quote]

Rusty, That site says it is no longer available.

Oh well......

Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here