News:

• April 23, 2024, 11:29:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for a modeling material...  (Read 647 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Looking for a modeling material...
« on: August 15, 2018, 05:11:45 PM »
Ok, I have been looking but o far I am unable to find 1" fiberglass tape. Anybody able to tell me where I can buy some I have searched the net and it seems to be hard to find unless I am building a real boat. Looking for enough to wrap around a smallish glider wing. Yeah Its not control line but I aam trying to stay busy...

Offline Bill Ervin

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
Re: Looking for a modeling material...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 05:38:57 PM »
Jim, if you have fiberglass cloth, wax paper and spray adhesive you can make your own tape in whatever width you need.

1).  Lightly mist adhesive onto a sheet of wax paper.

2).  Stick your fiberglass cloth onto the now tacky wax paper.

3).  Cut into strips, orient the fibers 45/45 so that they will now all be spanwise.

4).  Now lightly spray the cloth side of the strip and attach to your center joint.

5).  Peel away the wax paper and apply epoxy through the cloth, blot excess etc.

The residual spray glue will not affect the strength of your epoxy/glass joint.

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 06:38:21 PM »
SonicTronics sells 1 1/2" x 60" glass tape, and Sig sells 2" wide glass tape.

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:58:44 PM »
I stopped using tapes a long time ago - for the simple reason that they're impossible to fair into the rest of the wing nicely, and they don't do much anyway. A lot of wings break just outside the tape, because you've created a stress riser, or worse, you've sanded through the sheeting just outside of the tape to try and fair it in!

Better to cut a curved odd shaped diamond of 2oz cloth, and align  the points to the centreline of the wing, and the main spar (you can now see why it'll be 'odd shaped, the trailing edge point will be further away that the leading edge point). i usually just fold a peice of cloth, mark the leading and trailing edges, and draw nice curved lines with my circular cutter out to the main spar point (usually about 3" from centreline), so I end up with a playing card style diamond (concave curve) as oppsoed to a baseball (staight edged) one.

This is far stronger, and easier to fair and conceal under covering that a 1" tape.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline George Truett

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 07:10:05 PM »
You can get it from Thayercraft:  https://www.thayercraft.com/8.75-oz-t64.html
Let me know if a roll is too much, I may have a partial.  George

Offline Bob Heywood