News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:28:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Paul Allen  (Read 1821 times)

Offline mike londke

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Paul Allen
« on: October 15, 2018, 04:26:54 PM »
Just read that Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen has passed. I wonder what will become of his extensive collection of full sized aircraft.
AMA 48913  USPA D-19580  NRA Life Member  MI State Record Holder 50 way Freefall Formation Skydive  "Don't let the planet sneak up on you"

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
Re: Paul Allen
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 09:14:29 AM »

Pretty much the same thing that will happen to all our accumulated "stuff" upon our exit: It will get passed on to the next person. (Or, in our case, much of it will likely hit the trash dumpster.)

Andre
Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 01:18:56 PM »
He also has one heck of a Guitar collection.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 01:50:06 PM »
Would have to think that his various foundations would be setup to preserve the aviation museum, music museum and computer museum. His pro sports teams might be sold off...anybody want the Seahawks for their city? Maybe OKC?  VD~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 07:11:29 PM »
It will be interesting to see what happens with the Strato Launch project. Hopefully it will still be continued. I am very curious to see that monster fly. His aviation museum has several flyable planes that no other U S museum has like the Stormovik and an original FW-190 with a BMW engine. I think another museum has a FW-190 project in the works but it's a ways from being done. I also heard he was having the original engines that powered the ME-262 rebuilt  but using modern metal alloys that would have decent longevity.  (Yes, his museum has an original ME-262 being restored to flying condition).

Edit: I just read that they have received one engine and have it installed and plan to start taxi tests soon after they receive the second engine. The airframe has been restored and painted and they have been doing retraction tests with the landing gear.

Offline Paul Allen

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 02:21:05 AM »
IT'S strange, seeing one's name in this post.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 04:54:18 AM »
I'm sure that Paul Allen made provisions long before his demise to take care of his various projects . Successful people always cover all the basis.

Dennis

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 08:38:34 AM »
I believe he also had a collection of Ferraris.

Bob Z.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 10:34:07 AM »
My brother is an engineer StatoLaunch.  I texted him and he said "no change"
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 01:45:38 PM »
I'm told his ownership of the Seahawks and the Trail Blazers and who with acquire them will be quite contentious.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 05:33:26 AM »
My brother is an engineer StatoLaunch.  I texted him and he said "no change"

Just saw an article on line where they did some successful taxi testing yesterday. Sounds like first flight isn't far away. I'm sure Mr. Allen left his estate in very capable hands and his heirs and friends will follow through on his wishes, projects and dreams.
    Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 06:21:42 AM »
Will get an update, the project is over a year late, and each time they test, there are a lot of changes. 

I guess they had a lot of issues to work out with the widely separated gear and braking/ steering issues. 

if they are up to 80 knots, it cant be long till it flies. 

When we talk we don't talk about work.  talk about his recovery and if Aeromagic is going to be rebuilt. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 09:49:22 AM »
IT'S strange, seeing one's name in this post.

May seem that way, you're name is probably more common than mine. Yet I found about a dozen with my name worldwide, here in US and in UK. Some time back, there was a well known George Hostler in UK that owned a knitting clothing / equipment company, wrote books on all sorts of knitting to include clothing, animals, etc.
(I don't knit.  LL~ But I sew motorcycle patches on leather vests and jackets.  D>K H^^ )

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here