News:

• April 24, 2024, 05:13:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Longest Running Control Line Contest  (Read 866 times)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Longest Running Control Line Contest
« on: September 18, 2022, 11:10:21 PM »
Yes it is late.  Had a late nap and when I got up decided to read the digital Model Aviation.  In the district report is the mention of the longest consectative control line contest known as the F M Skylarks Contest fo Fargo, North Dakota.  With the help of Melvin and Brenda Schutte I was able to attend one the contests many years ago.  Been wanting to go back ever since as it such a beautiful site.  That is where I learned there is w Red River in the northern part of this great country.  Almost every body has heard of the Red River down Texas way.  There is also links in the district report about the Fargo club.  While looking at the links a lot of faces was seen that I have met through the years that I also knew from NATS competitions.  The last contest was the 65th according to Aimee Olson.  May they have many more. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Longest Running Control Line Contest
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 06:48:04 AM »
  From what I hear Doc, this years contest is probably their last. I used to get contest flier emails from Aimee for it and asked her to keep me on her list, hoping, like you, to be able to make it there some day. I met a lot of those guys at the first SIG contest I attended in the late 80's. They are suffering from the same factors that a lot of other clubs are dealing with, ageing and declining membership.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 12:52:56 AM »
Unfortunately it sounded like this year was probably their last official contest, and the last two years it has primarily been combat… only my dad, Pete Plunkett, and myself flew stunt this year, last year my dad, Scott Molck, and myself were the only stunt fliers. 

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2022, 07:36:28 AM »
Although I'm not sure of the complete history...

I believe that the KING ORANGE INTERNATIONAL has been around and continiusly sanctioned since control line was a novelty. It began as Free Flight and morphed into control line at many different sites.

Wayne Smith is the CD of this year's event.

Offline doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2022, 09:07:27 AM »
Although I'm not sure of the complete history...

I believe that the KING ORANGE INTERNATIONAL has been around and continiusly sanctioned since control line was a novelty. It began as Free Flight and morphed into control line at many different sites.

Wayne Smith is the CD of this year's event.
I lived in Miami when it first started and flew in a lot of them as a junior and then a senior....Don Suttor was the director then ,he was also an airline pilot...
AMA 21449

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 11:39:22 AM »
the first KOI was in 1954 at Main SIDE Marine Base in OPA LOCA  which was part of Miami Dade Co .

it has run continually since than in one way or another,\.
 this year was the
 KOI FF contest in Palm Bay and the Stunt KOI in McAlpin in north east Fla
rad racer

Offline doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2022, 12:51:01 PM »
the first KOI was in 1954 at Main SIDE Marine Base in OPA LOCA  which was part of Miami Dade Co .

it has run continually since than in one way or another,\.
 this year was the
 KOI FF contest in Palm Bay and the Stunt KOI in McAlpin in north east Fla
We use to go out there practice also,we also flew at the 3 rings but that was grass and dirt....
AMA 21449

Offline Mike Hazel

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 04:47:43 PM »
Would like to hear about more long running contests.  Up here in the Northwest, we just completed our 35th "Fall Follies" meet.  Next year will be our number 50 for the Northwest CL Regionals.   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 01:22:32 PM by Mike Hazel »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2022, 05:06:21 PM »
  We just had our 36th Broken Arrow Stunt and Scale contest, which started in 1986. There has been some sort of contest here at Buder Park every year since 1960, and while not a contest,  we have a club member who says he remembers flying on the sight before it became a county park. As early as 1958, I think he said.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline John McFayden

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2022, 05:52:38 PM »
The Toronto Balsa Beavers held the 60th running of the Toronto and District Control Line Championships (T&D) this year.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here