News:

• April 25, 2024, 04:21:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Line Connectors  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Line Connectors
« on: January 21, 2023, 02:46:50 PM »
I am totally frustrated trying to find a source for line connectors.  I need 12-16 of the "Test" medium (1") size to make up a series of "Spectra" lines.  EBay is either out of the size or grossly overpriced.  Amazon has none, Horizon and Tower don't carry them, Okie is "on backorder", Brodak has the wrong type and RSM does not have the quantity I need.  Not sure I like the "New Normal".  I am pretty sure someone has them.  I suppose I could use rings (where so I get the small ones) and just the clips I have but that is a last resort. Any suggestions? 
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Line Connectors
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 03:27:58 PM »
I buy these connectors from a fishing supply source. Get size 5 unless you are flying 1/2a models.

https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Mc-Rosco-Snaps

Fishing supply sources that good stuff, just don't them you are buying it for a model airplane, they won't understand. I use to buy insulated fishing leader from these sources. But now I can use uncoated flying lines now that we fly CL scale with 2.4 Ghz for the wireless throttle control.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 03:36:30 PM »
If you don't wrap your lines these are also handy, get the smaller sizes for our lines

https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Double-Sleeves?quantity=1&custcol11=153&custcol17=5
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2023, 03:37:57 PM »
These are the single crimp tubes for building lines without wrapping the ends

https://www.lurepartsonline.com/Leader-Sleeves?quantity=1&custcol11=129&custcol17=5
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2023, 03:49:25 PM »
I buy these connectors from a fishing supply source. Get size 5 unless you are flying 1/2a models.

Fishing supply sources that good stuff, just don't them you are buying it for a model airplane, they won't understand. I use to buy insulated fishing leader from these sources. But now I can use uncoated flying lines now that we fly CL scale with 2.4 Ghz for the wireless throttle control.

Fred
Thanks Fred, those look like they will work.  I was hoping to find the simple elipse type but those look like they are round and smooth enough to take a braded line knot and not cut it up.
I will order some.

ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2023, 04:13:17 PM »
I have to use my fingernail to open up the clip, I have these in my kit for line making.  At least the price is better than the hobby shop sources.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 03:06:28 AM »
Lack of supply, correct size, busting fingernails , damaging line,etc has lead me to simply make my own. I use piano wire of suitable strength, bend in the shape of a staple - after its been stapled. Cut some plastic tubing to slide over to lock in lines and bingo. Cheap easy to make ( once you messed up a few getting it right) way stronger than you need , and you can vary the length if your lead outs are outa whack by a few mm for that particular model.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 06:16:00 AM »
Why not MBS supply.?  Melvin stocks these in two or three sizes.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2023, 06:50:06 AM »
Or Jim Lee at Lee Machine shop: sells line clip bender and the wire, instructions in Stunt News May/June 2006
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2023, 07:10:23 AM »
Or Jim Lee at Lee Machine shop: sells line clip bender and the wire, instructions in Stunt News May/June 2006
One is on the way!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2023, 09:40:00 AM »
Ken, add the Xuron 2193F wire cutters to your shopping list.  With the guides, these align the wire perpendicular to the jaws and make a perfect 90° cut which requires no filing or burr dressing afterward.  I've made around 500 clips using these cutters and wouldn't want to use anything else! 

https://www.amazon.com/Xuron-2193F-Music-Cutter-Retaining/dp/B000FOJLEC
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Ara Dedekian

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Ara Dedekian
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2023, 10:44:25 AM »

Thanks for the link Fred, I just ordered both sizes. I've been drifting back to a cable handle because it's difficult to get an exact adjustment on a hard point handle with the Lee clips. Not sure if I have his fine thread bender but I'll have to mill some in-between flats on the nut for finer increments on the clip lengths.

Ara

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2023, 11:35:15 AM »

This clip bender tool is one of the most important tools I have.
It works so slick and quick that I am never gonna use any other type of clip.

One time I destroyed a Bob Palmer 'MARS' because one of those stinking 'LUX' clips came open.
I also gave up on those clips that broke all my fingernails and/or required pliers to get open.
Anyway....a little practice with the Lee mfg bender and you can easily make any length.

I got tired of guessing at the length of the clip so I developed a formula to make the wire the correct length before bending.
This works really great and eliminates the guessing.

I use a hard point handle and OAKIEAIR lines that are always made equal length and then adjust the clip/s that stay on each airplane lead outs.
Also I use equal length clips that stay on the handle.
I like the feel of the same handle when I fly different airplanes.
This tool eliminates dedicated lines and handles to specific airplanes.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2023, 11:53:24 AM »
I stock the same style clips from Sullivan/Pylon https://sullivanproducts.com/product/80-pound-test-line-connectors/ as made by the Jim Lee produced - Derek Moran designed clip bender. My preference is to use two stock Sullivan clips on the airplane end, and one Sullivan and one custom (longer) clip on the hard point handle. Each airplane should have its own handle, because we need to adjust spacing to suit each. Full adjustability is a huge leap forward.  D>K Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2023, 11:59:22 AM »
      Thanks for the link Fred, I just ordered both sizes. I've been drifting back to a cable handle because it's difficult to get an exact adjustment on a hard point handle with the Lee clips. Not sure if I have his fine thread bender but I'll have to mill some in-between flats on the nut for finer increments on the clip lengths.

Ara

Howard had Jim Lee do that, so the clips could be made in 1/32" increments, instead of the standard 1/16" increments. Nobody around here thought it would prove to be better or needed. Maybe Howard will comment?  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here