News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:50:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wheel Spacing  (Read 645 times)

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Wheel Spacing
« on: January 22, 2023, 12:09:57 PM »
When converting a model that calls for a fuselage mounted landing gear to a wing mounted gear, is there any rule of thumb to how far apart the wheels should be? Does the wingspan play a part in the spacing?

Thank you
Mike

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Wheel Spacing
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 03:13:26 PM »
When converting a model that calls for a fuselage mounted landing gear to a wing mounted gear, is there any rule of thumb to how far apart the wheels should be? Does the wingspan play a part in the spacing?

Thank you
Mike
I think that is really personal preference, but I use 1/3 of the span +- about an inch.  I make my outboard strut 1/8" shorter to make the takeoff and landing 2 wheels touching.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 04:56:26 PM »

Thank you
Mike

If wingspan played no part in the spacing, then Piper Cubs would have wheels spaced 4" apart, or 1/2-A planes would have wheels spaced six feet apart.  I won't even get into suppositions about B-36 landing gear in this context.

I'm thinking that if I were really concerned with this I'd make a test wing with several different landing gear mounts, and try everything from wingtip mount to bicycle gear.  I suspect I'd find out that a too-narrow gear is susceptible to the plane rocking on landing, or dragging the outer wingtip, while too-wide gear (A) looks odd, and (B) is susceptible to untoward yaw as one wheel or the other gets too much grip on the tarmac or grass.  Ultimately it would boil down to personal preference, a dose of what you tend to fly off of, and whatever works for folks around you.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 05:14:43 PM »
Wider is good, but depends on how strong the structure and how rough the field. IMO having the OB wheel touch first improves the landing significantly. Why? The rebound is only 50%.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 05:33:08 PM »
   Wing mounted gear that is too wide adds to the bar bell affect in the roll axis, so don't over due it there. Too narrow and it will rock a lot on rougher fields. I just rely on the designer or my eyeball and the age old LARs method of what "Looks About Right" . Having them positioned correctly for and aft is more important, I think.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here