News:

• May 10, 2024, 09:08:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lew's Akromaster  (Read 2465 times)

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Lew's Akromaster
« on: March 30, 2018, 10:00:19 PM »
   I have been searching the AMA plan service for the plan for Lew's Ackromaster, published in American Aircraft Modeler, November 1974, and can not find it in their listsings. I can find other American Modeler plans, like Lew's Shark.45 and Dolphin and I know they should have the AAM catalog. I have an email into them but have not heard back. Hard for me to get the time to call during the day. I want to make sure I have an accurate copy of the plan. I have the file from Outerzone, and I have some uncertainty about how it printed out. I have Tom Dixon's plan also, but would prefer the original. One thing that I find curious is that the title block gives wing spans for the two versions, and the measurements I take from the plan I have don't quite jive. Has anybody got a known good copy of the original AAM plan. I'm thinking if someone could take a good, accurate measurement of something on their plan, I can check it against mine. There is no scale on the plan to check with. Or, if someone can tell me where in the AMA catalog I can find the plan, I'll order it.
   Thanks in advance,
   Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
Re: Lew's Akromaster
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 10:03:54 PM »
AMA Plans Service.   American Aircraft Modeler  11-74  AMA #32973  Pond #57G5    $17.00

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 10:24:31 PM »
   Well, thanks Dane! After I made the post I thought I would give it one more try. I had been looking under 'Spinks Akromaster" as the home page said that in the alphabetical listing, the manufacturer of the full size would be listed first. It wasn't listed that way. I tried looking under "Lew's Akromaster" like the title of the article states but not there that way. I tried misspellings also! Then tonight I tried just "Akromaster" and it came up that way, but was in a different list that what your screen shot looks like. Anyhow, now I have the proper number! I have an original set of Lews cores being cored and sheeted by Mr. Hunt and hope to have some fuse parts cut by the time I get the wings back.
   Thanks a lot!
    Dan (terrible at doing computer searches) McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline kenny stevens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 05:48:59 AM »
HI  DAN  I HAVE LEW'S PLANES AND PLANS AT HOME. I AM AT WORK NOW BUT YOU CAN CALL MONDAY AFTER 6 AND WE CAN TALK.

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 07:41:42 AM »
Cool Dan. I have the list saved as a PDF, and I just search with Adobe Reader for AMA plans.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 08:56:34 AM »
HI  DAN  I HAVE LEW'S PLANES AND PLANS AT HOME. I AM AT WORK NOW BUT YOU CAN CALL MONDAY AFTER 6 AND WE CAN TALK.

Hi Kenny;
   Thanks a lot and have sent you a PM.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 09:03:35 AM »
It's on Outerzone: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7771.  The build article is there, too.  They spell it Acromaster.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 09:11:12 AM »
  Hi Steve;
   I have the Outerzone file and have several copies of the magazine. The issue is that there is no scale on the drawing to check for size and accuracy, and when i measure the wings flat out on a table, it doesn't jive with what the stated wing span is, so before I start cutting wood, I want to be sure what I have is correct. I have a set of Dixon plans and those differ from the Outerzone file.
  Thanks a lot,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »
Lew also had a beautiful very realistic Chipmunk. I don't know if it was ever published.
AMA 7544

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 10:14:36 AM »
Dan, sorry about that -- I should have read your paragraph more carefully.  I do have a copy of an annotated plan dated 1973 -- I don't know the source of the notes -- with some additional dimensional information.  I assumed because the plan was for both C/L and R/C that the wing planform was equal, right and left.  I have seen wingspans for the C/L version as 57-1/2, 58 and 59 inches; with multiple planes constructed, these differences are easy to understand.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »
  Thanks for posting that Steve. Interesting, and kind of explains what my concerns are. Can you tell me what the first part at the top of the plans means? I can read "Nose 10 1/4") and I assume thatmeans nose moment, but the next parts I don't understand, "W 10 1/4 flaps 3" and I see tail moment at 18.5". I'll have to compare that to my print out of the Outerzone file. I'  still going to get the AAM plan from the AMA.
  Thanks a bunch,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 10:48:02 AM »
Lew also had a beautiful very realistic Chipmunk. I don't know if it was ever published.

Now THAT I would love to see! I don't ever remember seeing that one so probably wasn't. Another oneof his that I think I have the plan for was a model similar to the Vega trainer? Am I remembering that one correctly?
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 01:21:32 PM »
Dan, I assumed that the "W 10-3/4 flaps 3" refers to the wing chord at the fuselage was 10-3/4" and the flap had a chord of 3" also at the fuselage.  Also note at the bottom, the fuselage width of 3-1/4" which should accommodate a generous fuel tank and allow some adjustment space.  I think the fuselage width is more for the R/C version as it could use a larger tank than necessary for the C/L version.  Getting back to the wingspan, some of the pictures show a built-up wing, others a foam wing, which allows for a lot of variations.

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 02:02:21 PM »
  Now THAT I would love to see! I don't ever remember seeing that one so probably wasn't. Another oneof his that I think I have the plan for was a model similar to the Vega trainer? Am I remembering that one correctly?
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
Right you are Dan!
Lew designed the VEGA for stunt with two open cockpits that 'resembles' a Chipmunk.
His original VEGA resides at my house as well as one of his Akromasters and a Sharkbat.
FWIW: I worked with Lew during my College dazes at X-CELL Models and Mid-Am distributors.
During which I cut the Akro kits for customers based on their needs and purpose of the model.
Both R/C & C/L were available. In fact in one of the rags is a pic of one of his Sons barely holding an Akro that could fly BOTH R/C and C/L.
Have  a great weekend, HAPPY EASTER & "Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes

P.S.: Missing from both of the plans contained in this post, is the small 1/4 page plan showing the removable wing option.
        The Akromaster at my house HAS this option.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:40:11 PM by afml »
Wes Eakin

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2018, 06:21:33 PM »
  Hey Wes!!!
    Glad you jumped in! If you get the chance, can you measure the flap hinge to elevator hinge (tail moment) and nose moment? That will tell a lot. Using the info written in on the scan by Steve Pollock, the plan I have from Outerzone has a tail moment of 17 1/8". The engine bearers (3/8"X1/2") and wheel size (2") both measure out. The Dixon plan shows an 18 1/4" tail moment. The wing chord at the fuselage is only 10" on both plan. I don't have the cores to measure them. I guess this may be another example of things that got changed, for whatever reason, in the process of documenting the airplane and preparing it for publication, and errors were probably made. It's not like that has never happened before! I'll get this thing built one way or the other!
  Thanks a lot,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 09:01:33 PM »
Hey Dan!
Glad to help!
Remember that this was a 'custom' kit', so variations were common place based on the purpose of the plane.
Based on the customers request and intended purpose, I would make the formers the width that fit the intended engine and the intended purpose. R/C, C/L, fixed wing, removable wing, pattern, semi-scale, stunt, foam wing, built-up wing, traditional engine bearers or R/C mount.
My Akromaster was formerly owned & built by the late Randy Hancock. It had a fixed, foam wing, Rabe rudder, and an R/C engine mount. Powered by a ST 46. Still have the ST 46. In fact, it's the same motor that powered my plane to win the Beginner's event at the NATS when I got back into C/L flying.
Sorry for the run-on...... n~ HB~>
But sometimes the 'memories' avalanche! ;D
Back to your inquire:
Spinner backplate to leading edge is 10 1/4"
Wing chord: 10"
Flap hinge to elevator hinge: 18 1/4"
Lew's Acro here has a built-up wing and I also have an original unfinished foam wing by Truflite. Both measure 10" chord.
Hope this answers your question. If not, give me another 'shout'!
"Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes
P.S.: Yea.....I know......
     As previously mentioned in another older post, Lew would practice for an upcoming contest with the Akromaster, but usually took the Shark instead.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:41:01 PM by afml »
Wes Eakin

Offline afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 09:24:02 PM »
OK.....One more..... LL~ LL~ LL~
While assisting Lew with yet another Akromaster being built in his basement, we took the tail post and mis-aligned the fuse by pulling one side slightly to give the fuse a little offset instead of just relying on the rudder. This was before the wing & stab were installed. The model utilized the Truflite foam wing. We glued the sections together with the top of the top of the wing laying flat on the table. Thus giving the wing a bit of dihedreal. He liked the looks and performance of this one, but said he would like to try another with the dihedreal, but with a straight fuselage.
With several X-Cell Hobby Shops and the Mid-Am Distributors running, I don't know if he got around to building another one.
"Tight Lines!" H^^
Wes
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 09:41:36 PM by afml »
Wes Eakin

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2018, 09:27:25 PM »
Dan, there is a response in the forum listing below that Bob Hunt cut foam cores for the Acromaster in 1973.  Bob might be the most definitive authority if you're going with a foam wing:

https://stunthanger.com/smf/nostalgia-30/lew-mcfarland-akromaster/msg204059/#msg204059

After all -- that was only 45 years ago.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2018, 10:00:11 PM »
  Hi Steve;
   I have already talked with Mr. Hunt, in preparation for having him do the work on my cores, and he filled me in on his history. I kind of get into the history of things. I was already in love with the design, but finding out some of the history of it has been interesting, and the responses to this thread have been enjoyable and revealing.  I can't wait  to see what Kenny Stevens has to add. With the measurements that Wes got off the models in his possession, (Thanks a lot Wes!!!) and the notes on the plan that Steve Pollock has, I'm getting a good picture in my mind on how to proceed. I can use the plan that I have for most of the parts that I need for the fuselage, just make allowances for the tail moment to be 18 1/4". That measurement notes on Steve's drawing jives with the model Wes has, and also the dimension on the Dixon plan. I'm going to have to decide to build it with a R/C mount of wood engine mounts. I will probably slim the fuse down a bit, as Lew mentions that that was done on several models in the construction article, and Wes cut the kits that way on demend also. Engine will be a ST.51 or a LA.46, have to decide that yet. The rest is pretty much straight forward. The most difficult part of the airplane is the nose in my estimation. Not much structure, and make access foe engine and tank service will be a bit challenging. I intend to use this model for PAMPA and for Super 70's/Nostalgia30 competition, so that was the driving force behind making sure what plan was correct. The biggest thing I like about the project is not having to come up with a paint scheme! One thing I was thinking of doing was using the scheme that Charlie Hilliard had on his version of the full size airplane, designing a hidden receiver, throttle servo mount in the nose, and arrange a throttle set up on a LA.46 to allow flying it in sport scale competition also. Leaving the fuselage at 3.5" wide would help that situation. Lots to decide, but at least I think I can start cutting parts now! I found out a heck of a lot more that I thought I would in one day!
  Thanks a lot to all, and HAPPY EASTER!
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 06:59:51 PM »
Dan ole boy,  this sounds like a good article for Stunt News.   You can probably get advice from Bobby on writing with lots of pictures.   The trials and tribulation of getting the history of a model plus a little biography of the designer.  I would look forward to it. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 04:01:47 PM »
I talked to Charlie Reeves today. He was Lew's flying companion  since the '60's. He does not recall seeing a scale like stunt Chipmunk, so I was wrong.  I wish I could remember where I had seen it. I hope some one can recall the airplane.
AMA 7544

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 06:29:35 PM »
The plane "like the Chipmunk" was probably McFarland's Vega 35.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2018, 07:13:57 PM »
Steve,
No it was not the Vega. I saw Hutch's Vega when he built it
AMA 7544

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here