News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:04:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Les McDonald's Amazing CARE PACKAGE JUST ARRIVED FROM MIAMI FL.  (Read 18133 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
A HUGE THANK YOU to Les McDonald....for sending me a very nice collection of slides that he took, shot and gleaned from his years of flying CLPA competition.

Les would like to share these slides with all of us here on Stunt Hanger.

Most of the shots were from the years 1972 through 1978 that range from the nations and ending with a few taken at the World Championships.

Many of the shots are people shots and will bring back many memories for those that were so fortunate to attend contests during the 70's.
Les!
I will try and post these with medium resolutions...but if any one interested in more detail...feel free to request a personal  higher resolution.
 Unfortunately my PC  has so little memory (me too) and my Epson V 300 scanner can not compare to Leo Mehl, our avid professional photographer's high quality expensive NIKON scanner from Portland Ore....
but I will do my best to take care in handling this great collection of photos from our past.

LES!
Thanks for taking the time and $$$ for shipping these out here to me here in the Pacific NW from all the way across the nation for us to enjoy the look back in the good ol' days of the 70's

Les made one request that we try and name the owners of these outstanding examples of CLPA models that are shown here.
Even though Les..has done an amazing job of remembering at naming these slides...a few are missing names to the faces and places.
With that in mind...it would be great to hear stories about any of the flyers or the models shown on these slides.
Jump in here and lets share some history and memories from these daze days gone bye ever so quickly.

I will start off with one scan taken at the FAI 75 Dayton fly off and another scan of one the models that Les made such amazing history with.
AGAIN LES! THANKS FOR SHARING THESE WITH US.

Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
Re: Les McDonald's Amazing CARE PACKAGE JUST ARRIVED FROM MIAMI FL.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 08:41:18 PM »
Perhaps this might be the right size test which perhaps will keep the resolution in check and still be detailed enough to post a larger grouping of shots?
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:07:37 PM »
Schultzie...That pebbled asphalt (or other complex backgrounds like grass, heavily grained wood like oak, or coarse fabric) make for huge file sizes due to all the detail. It is possible to blurr this sort of background to make it less of a problem, but it still doesn't look good. Maybe somebody has a solution, but I don't, except to crop as small as possible.  n~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 09:23:13 PM »
crop just the faces
AMA 12366

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 04:00:44 AM »
Thanks for the pictures shown here. I cannot ID all the fliers but the models they have helps. I enjoy seeing pictures like this, Thank you Les for sharing them. 

Robert;  Perhaps you should make a section that is just for history it should be both written and photos.

cfeldman
stuart, fl
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 10:13:10 AM »
crop just the faces
Thanks for the input... I too agree with Chuck that an Archive history section would be A GOOD THING?
Also having someone with far and away better puter'skills knowledge and better  equipment to not only repo these priceless old negs-slides-photos...but also equally important that they have a safe storage area to keep these old items from going to pieces and being exposed to high huminity, dirt n' dust n' all that crap...so that they can be achived for generations to come...

What a crazy concept to believe that they also might wonder just what the  VD~ VD~ VD~ made these guys from the good ol' daze so darned crazy and addicted to flying toy airplanes on strings in the first place? LL~ H^^ n~

A couple of weeks ago...our  Retired WindTunnel Engineering & Model building bunch got together at our Bi-monthly luncheon place where the Manager of the Boeing Archives was the guest speaker.
 His message was LOUD AND CLEAR...THAT MOST HUMAN BEINGS (EVEN LARGE COMPANIES)OFTEN UNDER ESTIMATE just how important it can be to future generations, that some one take time to KEEP THE LIGHT ON! about our past and that one fact remains clear.

HISTORY DOES REPEAT ITSELF...and that is why ARCHIVES today are still a very important source that continues to reap huge benefits and saves both time and money in R&D.
Sadly, it would seem...that it is truly  HUMAN NATURE...that each generations keeps re-inventing over and over that mighty "WHEEL or in our case....The WING in the WIND!  ::)

One last question? Does the AMA HAVE A WORTHY AND VIABLE ARCHIVE available to the membership?  H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 10:27:37 AM »
Test scan of Les McDonald's slide from Dayton 75
Don Shultz

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 10:42:21 AM »
Very cool, Shultzie. I think the pics look great (on my 21" flat panel -   ;D  )
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 11:03:34 AM »
Test scan of Les McDonald's slide from Dayton 75

Is that the Nats or Team trials?
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 11:03:58 AM »
Very cool, Shultzie. I think the pics look great (on my 21" flat panel -   ;D  )

let's try another scan of Les's first group shot from Dayton 75  FAI team trials
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:32:01 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 11:17:02 AM »
last scan retry at low resolution...Opps~! not much of an improvement huh....I tried to enhance color with AOL's crappola thingee? daaa? See what I mean about having little or nill puter'skills? LL~
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:27:21 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 11:21:14 AM »
Bob...
I will remove the test scan photos later on today? I will post more lower resolution shots from Les's beautiful collection of photos as soon as I can CLEAN UP PC for more disc space?
Don Shultz

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 11:28:05 AM »
  Tiger Direct lists a very capable 35MM and Negative scanner that converts photos to 5meg JPG.  I imagine there are a lot of old stunt related photos out there that a lot of us would be interested in viewing.  See the following link which also shows video a demonstration

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4425255&CatId=297

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 12:21:46 PM »
I will start off with one scan taken at the FAI 75 Dayton fly off and another scan of one the models that Les made such amazing history with.

I have flown one of the models in the first picture. It was frightening in several aspects.

Brett

Offline steve pagano

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 12:34:23 PM »

Not to be a pain in the you know what but any chance some one can name a couple of the guys in the first pic?
I can make out 1 or 2 but i havent been in the hobby that long b1
Success isn't a destination.It's a journey!!!!!
A.M.A. 820-823

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »

Not to be a pain in the you know what but any chance some one can name a couple of the guys in the first pic?
I can make out 1 or 2 but i havent been in the hobby that long b1

I don't know them all, either, but:
  Les McDonald
  Al Rabe
  Bob Hunt
  Bill Werwage
  Bob Gieseke
  Gene Shaeffer
  Dave Hemstrought
  Wynn Paul

Brett

Offline Matt Colan

• N-756355
  • AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 02:42:20 PM »
  I don't know them all, either, but:
  Les McDonald
  Al Rabe
  Bob Hunt
  Bill Werwage
  Bob Gieseke
  Gene Shaeffer
  Dave Hemstrought
  Wynn Paul

Brett

I can only get to about as much as Brett can.  I'm only 14 but I read a bunch of old magazines and can recognize some of them.  Could the guy to Bill Werwage's left (our right) be Jim Kostecky???

Matt Colan

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2009, 03:11:52 PM »
Back Row: Jim Deyoung of Roadrunner fame, Les McDonald, Al Rabe, Don't know, ..... Schaffer, Bob Hunt, Bill Werwage, and Mike Dietrich.

Front Row: Dont know, Gieseke, Dan Schaffer, Jerrry Pilgrim, Dave Hemstraught, MuScini??, and Wynn Paul... Forgive me for some of the spelling.
Keith Bryant

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 03:25:32 PM »
Back Row: Jim Deyoung of Roadrunner fame, Les McDonald, Al Rabe, Don't know, ..... Schaffer, Bob Hunt, Bill Werwage, and Mike Dietrich.

Front Row: Dont know, Gieseke, Dan Schaffer, Jerrry Pilgrim, Dave Hemstraught, MuScini??, and Wynn Paul... Forgive me for some of the spelling.

I think thats Gene Schaeffer in the front row. Might be Dan Schaeffer in the back.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 04:38:37 PM »
Yea, I'm pretty sure that's Gene Schaeffer third for the left kneeling.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009, 06:26:11 PM »
Freddy Miles  New Yorkto Rabes left. I'm only missing the green plane next to freddy miles and the camoflage plane first row.
Who made the team
Mcdonald,Hunt,werwage and the surprise?

Offline PatRobinson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 07:36:55 PM »
Hi Guys,
I happened to be at this event so I will take a stab at the names and planes.

Standing left to right:

Jim Young - Roadrunner/ Les McDonald-Stiletto 700/ Al Rabe-Seafury/Fred Miles-StarShine/ Dan Schaeffer-?original/
Bob Hunt-Genesis 46 / Bill Werwage-USA-1/ Mike Ditrich-(Kosteckey inspired original) Talon+S

Kneeling Left to right:

Kent Rogers-Dewotine/ Bob Gieseke-Nobler/ Gene Schaffer-Statesman/ Jerry Pilgrim-Shark 45/
Dave Hemstrought-PT-19 "46"/ Joe Musumeci,Jr-Nobler ( a Gieseke student)/ Wynn Paul-Pampawagon
also present but not in this picture were Dennis Duvall-Miss Dara / Bob McDonald-Taurus

Pat Robinson
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 08:36:03 PM by PatRobinson »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 11:03:11 AM »
A couple more shots from Les McDonald's care package.

Here is a photo of Al Rabe....standing Guard over Bob Hunt and Les McDonald's 1978 England models while Les and Bob "dispose of last night empty bottles of Englands most coveted brew...the breakfast of CLPA CHAMPIONS."
Don Shultz

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 11:20:56 AM »
Yeah, We probably drank some of that stuff also. I think that's the one that came in a quart size juice can at about 74 degrees. No joke, we ground off the lid and dumped in some kind of German Vodka. I still blame Uwe K. for that night. Hunt was in way over his head.

Les
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 11:31:35 AM »
Yeah, We probably drank some of that stuff also. I think that's the one that came in a quart size juice can at about 74 degrees. No joke, we ground off the lid and dumped in some kind of German Vodka. I still blame Uwe K. for that night. Hunt was in way over his head.

Les

Les!
I hope that you didn't let Hunt with his guitar and Rabe's vocals....do their infamously famous vocal duets that only would ever become famous...if played in the blue light district in Milwalkie' Wisc. where Bob Gialdini help make that town famous with their beloved Schlitz pottie bowl beer? VD~  (My grandpappy named me Schlitzeebaby after he got got adding this brew to my twin sister and my baby forumla....as a sleep aid when we were little Arkansas larvi'.) 

Speaking of Bob Gialdini...(I TRULY CHARISH those beautiful 1974 FAI slides of yours...showing my mentor Bob Gialdini  in his sail boating garb showing off his amazingly beauiful sky art..which I just gotta post as soon as possible.

Hey... :! Let's make today BOB GIALDINI DAY...here on our Stunt Grunt of the day!"
Les and the rest' of you lurkin folks..
 who have stories or photos of Bob Gialdini...jump in on STUNT GRUNT OF THE DAY and lift his infamously famous SCHILTZ BREWSKI in his honor. H^^ BW@ DK^
Don Shultz

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 02:29:24 PM »
Good deal as Bob Gialdini is one of my most favorite people on the planet Earth.
A more gracious person cannot be found.

Les
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 05:30:18 PM »
That Dayton 74 Team Trials was the first PAMPA run Team Trials.  I was the ED and was going to give the names in that photo.  Pat Robinson nailed the names so I will not repeat here.

Keith

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 06:05:43 PM »
I really want to know where i can get me a pair of them nifty plad pants Wynn has on..  LL~
AMA 12366

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »
I really want to know where i can get me a pair of them nifty plad pants Wynn has on..  LL~
If you think those are fancy pants...Look what Wynnie did to his stunt machine?
 Hummm? Do you think this paint job of Wynn's FAI 73 stunter goes with his nifty GladPlad Pants? LL~ H^^
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:11:14 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2009, 07:48:55 PM »
If you think those are fancy pants...Look what Wynnie did to his stunt machine?
 Hummm? Do you think this paint job of Wynn's FAI 73 stunter goes with his nifty GladPlad Pants? LL~ H^^

Don,

Come on now, let's show some respect.  The editors of American Aircraft Model certainly showed their respect for Wynn's Miss Lexington U.S.A.  They predicted that Wynn's "design is destined to be a classic in its own time".  (Oct, 74)

Now, was that prophetic or not? y1

Keith

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »
Don,

Come on now, let's show some respect.  The editors of American Aircraft Model certainly showed their respect for Wynn's Miss Lexington U.S.A.  They predicted that Wynn's "design is destined to be a classic in its own time".  (Oct, 74)

Now, was that prophetic or not? y1

Keith
Kinda like a whole bunch of us old CLPAeeer's "CLASSICS IN OUR OUR TIMES N' MINDS!" LL~ H^^
Check out the FANCY PANTS ON THIS CLASSY YOUNG MAN! "IT 1974 PAMPA MAN!"
Hummm? KEITH...GADS! THAT CAN'T BE YOU??? LL~ HH%%
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:00:49 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 09:43:17 PM »
Check out the FANCY PANTS ON THIS CLASSY YOUNG MAN! "IT 1974 PAMPA MAN!"
Hummm? KEITH...GADS! THAT CAN'T BE YOU??? LL~ HH%%

Indeed, it can!

Interesting to note that 70's stunt pilots shopped for their wardrobe at golf pro shops. Do you get a bowl of soup with those pants? Looks good on you though....

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 10:44:17 PM »
I think the photo above that one is Elvis.  I recognize the glasses.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 03:48:12 PM »
Those were the days.  I am glad they are behind us.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Kent Rogers

• New Pilot
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 10:20:59 AM »
  Indeed, it can!

Interesting to note that 70's stunt pilots shopped for their wardrobe at golf pro shops. Do you get a bowl of soup with those pants? Looks good on you though....

Brett

The reason Wynn was holding his hands together in front of his fly was to hide the fact it wasn't a button fly, like mine..........  

There is a story behind my pants.  I actually bought them after seeing Wynn's outfit in Lexington a year or so before the Dayton contest.  I think that was the year he had a purple and green plane and an outfit that matched.   Left side of the shirt matched the right side of the pants and right side of shirt matched left side of pants, and the plane was squared off like that.    

So I figured to find something completely outrageous.  I think those pants cost me $1.50.   For that money, the didn't put in a zipper.   Trust me, my white/red/etc checkered pants did NOT come from a golf shop.   I only ever wore them at contests.  Last time might have been when Pat and I ran stunt at U.S. Control Line Championships in Winston Salem.    I got some pictures from those if I can find 'em.     Les, Keith, Dave, Gene, Stan, Dixon, Randy? and a few are in some years of those. 

BTW, Keith showed up at the US Champs a year later wearing white/etc checkered pants.   A lot brighter than those Scottish plaid ones.   

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2014, 03:59:22 PM »
(Never mind. I should have read more carefully before posting! Moderator please feel free to delete)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 04:18:57 PM by bill bischoff »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2014, 08:19:17 PM »
Hi Guys,
I happened to be at this event so I will take a stab at the names and planes.

Standing left to right:

Jim Young - Roadrunner/ Les McDonald-Stiletto 700/ Al Rabe-Seafury/Fred Miles-StarShine/ Dan Schaeffer-?original/
Bob Hunt-Genesis 46 / Bill Werwage-USA-1/ Mike Ditrich-(Kosteckey inspired original) Talon+S

Kneeling Left to right:

Kent Rogers-Dewotine/ Bob Gieseke-Nobler/ Gene Schaffer-Statesman/ Jerry Pilgrim-Shark 45/
Dave Hemstrought-PT-19 "46"/ Joe Musumeci,Jr-Nobler ( a Gieseke student)/ Wynn Paul-Pampawagon
also present but not in this picture were Dennis Duvall-Miss Dara / Bob McDonald-Taurus

Pat Robinson

LOL  I was wondering  who would see Kent  and  His  Dewotine...  Brings back many memories

Randy

Offline Jared Hays

• 2020 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2014, 07:45:13 AM »
Wow that Hawker Sea Fury looks cool!  Great pics

Offline Kent Rogers

• New Pilot
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 08:35:44 AM »
Any more pictures?

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here