News:

• March 28, 2024, 03:50:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: latex dope  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
latex dope
« on: April 03, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
Was at Toledo Friday and Ontario Adhesives had a new product from Deluxe Materials a latex dope. It was stuck in customs so you could not get it. They said it worked great and they been using it in england. They did have Easy Coat that you put down fiber glass with that did a great job. It filled fast and was light. Has any one used these products.

Steve

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: latex dope
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 07:07:06 PM »
It sounds like they do have some interesting products. Thanks for the tip. Here's the link to their site, FWIW. Maybe we'll be able to get their stuff down here eventually.  ??? Steve     http://www.ontarioadhesives.ca/
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 02:15:47 PM »
Horizon carries a product from Deluxe materials"  Eze Kote". It is a water based finishing for balsa and foam. Is this what you are talking about? Sounds like a solution to using dope,I might be able to finish a plane and NOT use ' cote.

Steve
Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline Scott Hartford

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
Any different than Polycrylic?

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 10:41:14 PM »
easy cote was for putting down fiber glass, I want to try it on carbon tissue. The dope is for silk and silk span. They said if you put in a order and tell them you were at Teledo they will give you the show disscount. They said that you can use any paint over it, and that would be nice. I will call this week and order some and give it a try. They only had one bottle of the dope and said they whated to try it before they sold it.

Steve

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 07:05:57 PM »
My son runs his own piano restoration business.  I have seen him spray clear or black lacquer which is water-based!  It makes an outstanding finish!  I haven't had the guts to try it on a plane, but I'm thinking of borrowing a pint and trying it as a top coat for a 20 point shine!!  *(and I can spray the stuff indoors).

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 08:39:56 PM »
I couldn't find anything like dope on that site, what am I supposed to be looking for?
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:09:04 AM »
Randy they only had one bottle of the dope at the show. Chris said they wanted to try it before they sold it. there number is 519-733-0416 and the name on the card is Chris Rebidoux. I could not find it on the english web sit, chirs said they have been using it there. I was hoping someone from england might have use it and would let us now how it worked.

Steve

Offline Chucky

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 02:26:10 AM »
Could this be the latex "dope" product from Deluxe Materials?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DLMBD42

Do you know what kind of aircraft it's being used on in the UK?
Chuck Winget

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 06:00:02 AM »
Could this be the latex "dope" product from Deluxe Materials?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DLMBD42

Do you know what kind of aircraft it's being used on in the UK?

WHOA!!!! Won't be going there $10.79 for 8.5 Oz!!!!! And that's the discounted price!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Steven Kientz

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 03:00:36 PM »
  And I thought Minwax Polycrilic was expensive at $14 per Qt.

Steve

Steve Kientz
AMA 855912

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 04:57:01 PM »
Well I paid $18.00 a quart for Brodak Clear at VSC.  I have used Min-Wax clear to put fiber glas and silk span down.   Went to link that was posted.   States be the first to give a review.  How can you give a review if it is out of stock? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 08:35:23 PM »
Yes that is the dope, They said that it filled faster did not need so many coats. The price is a little high but just like kas coat you do not need as much. They said it is lighter than reg dope. I think I will get some and do a test on how light and how many coats it takes.

Steve

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 08:46:03 PM »

WHOA!!!! Won't be going there $10.79 for 8.5 Oz!!!!! And that's the discounted price!!

Some competition, better strength of the dollar, and it might get much better. You did notice that the model plane was a stick and tissue free flight, right?

This stuff would look really cool on your next plane, Randy:  http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DLMBD27   LL~  Ooops, a little late for April 1.   ;) Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Randy Ryan

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 09:27:03 PM »
Some competition, better strength of the dollar, and it might get much better. You did notice that the model plane was a stick and tissue free flight, right?

This stuff would look really cool on your next plane, Randy:  http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DLMBD27   LL~  Ooops, a little late for April 1.   ;) Steve

Yeah Steve, I noticed the S&T model. But I'm thinking about some large OT gas jobs, and man, it'd have to be something REALLY special for me to buy enough to do even say and A gas job.

The rusted Iron Falcon!!
Randy Ryan <><
AMA 8500
SAM 36 BO all my own M's

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 10:47:23 PM »
Randy, What got me thinking was when you showed me your free flight that was cleared with what I think was a nelson product.  It looked so good. could you go from start to finish with out any thinner. I work in a chemical foctory and had cancer about 11 years ago. I try to stay away for fumes as muck as possible. I still use dope, but this might be a little safer with this new stuff.

Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here