News:

• May 12, 2024, 08:42:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AKROMASTER HELP NEEDED  (Read 2737 times)

Offline raby fink

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
AKROMASTER HELP NEEDED
« on: April 08, 2009, 08:20:04 PM »
I have a Akromaster that I have about 3/4 finished. I am wondering if some of you that has one can tell me the prop size, tank size and line cable width. I have a 52 x .015, but I think it might be to large of a diameter. It is powered by an OS15. All answers are welcome.
Thanks for the help
Raby

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: AKROMASTER HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:42:37 PM »
I would ask what OS .15 you've got. A typical baffled piston .15 like the OS and Fox like an 8-4 real well. The FP and LA will churn ok with a 9-4, but something between will probably work better. The Top Flite Power Point props are easily the best wood props I've used, BTW. APC's are losing favor to Thunder Tiger Cyclone props, but both work very well. LOTS of performance comes from using the right prop.

A 2 oz tank will be plenty big enough...general practise is to fill the tank and then suck out a specific amount known to meet the 8 minute flight time (if you were to fly in a contest). A 1.5 oz tank will be big enough to make you happy, however. The new line rules allow up to 24 oz planes to fly on .008" braided lines, but I wouldn't do it. I'd suggest .012" braided lines...and a TED HANDLE from Carl Shoup.  y1 Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:40:54 PM »
RABY...the akromaster will be a fun plane with the OS-15 be it an LA or and of the older maxs engines. 2oz tank is a good start. Make sure that you mount the tank just alittle above the center of the engine. Lets say 3/16th of an inch. The props I would go with 9x5 or 9.5x5. Master airscrew makes a good starting prop you can get them at any hobby store. Zinger wood props would be also good. Make sure that they are balanced, this is a must. The lines .012x52 braded is your bet here also. .015 will work however it's a little over kill. Do not go down to .008. Find someone that can help you if you need it. OH were always here too.  #^ #^
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline John Harold

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 03:32:57 AM »
The SIG Akromaster is a superb Stunt trainer and fantastic value for money IMO. I'm now onto my second one in three years. Built both as per the kit, no changes made, using an OS.15FP and home made uniflow tank. Needed to add a little weight to the tail for C.G. correction. I've found the MA 8x5 to be good on my setup. Using 0.012"x 50' Brodak lines. Good luck with your Akro....John

Offline raby fink

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 03:40:46 AM »
Thanks guys for the help. I did forget to mention that this plane will be for someone who has never flown before. So about the prop, which size will give me LOW speed and still maintain power to keep it in the air? This plane is not going to be used for stunts. Instead, she will be just learning to fly. Stunts will come later after she learns to keep it in the air. Thanks again for the help
Raby

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 09:27:39 AM »
Hi Raby,

AFTER getting the plane trimmed out the way you like & the engine run down pat,
put the prop on backwards.
Instant SLOW SPEED!   #^

"Tight lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 10:38:37 PM »
DO NOT PUT THE PROP ON BACKWARDS.. n1 n1 n1

IF SOMEONE HASN'T FLOWN BEFORE YOU NEED THE LINE TENSION. USE the set up that works. I've never seen anyone put a prop on backasswards and fly. Really bad advice. Sorry to be so blunt.  mw~

Just get the plane to fly and is controlable and have fun. IT'S easy. y1
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Geoff Goodworth

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 02:37:28 AM »
Steve H

You said, 'The new line rules allow up to 24 oz planes to fly on .008" braided lines, but I wouldn't do it. I'd suggest .012" braided lines...'

It's a light and fairly small model, why not use .008" lines?

Cheers, Geoff

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 04:03:01 AM »
"I've never seen anyone put a prop on backasswards and fly. Really bad advice."
Sorry Scott....
Even if you haven't seen it done before, here are a couple of quotes from another previous post:

1. "My good friend and I were at the Brodak's contest and flying Foxberg racing for the first time.
I noticed the plane he was flying was a GREAT deal slower than the 3-up competition.
His pit man/builder/owner of the airplane did his best to coax the Fox 35 into a more competitive run.
But to no avail!   
Seams in his haste to prepare for the race, the owner put the prop on BACKWARDS!"     

2. "There is NO problem in putting the prop on backwards. It is much less efficient in flight, so all you see is reduced speed. This technique is often used in freeflight, when trimming out a plane, it prevents any nasties from making a real mess of the plane if it is drastically out of trim! It may be a good idea for the first flight of a new stunt plane. You can operate the engine at its optimum revs, you just get reduced thrust, anything that is drastically out of trim will be easier to handle!"

"Tight lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 03:51:01 PM »
Thanks WES.....Guess I'm to poop to prop....LOL  H^^
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 05:57:40 AM »
Prop on backwards was also a common recommendation when I first flew CL.  ANd it was needed as we were running Ringmasters with .35s and 10-6 props.  And not knowing any better, 15% nitro. :)
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 10:55:19 AM »
Just keep in mind that any airplane will have a minimum acceptable speed due to design and weight below which you induce a stall. Too slow is extremely hard to handle, especially for a beginner.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline Michael Duffy

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 04:20:26 PM »
i too would like to know the specs for this plane because i am building my little brother one of these planes to help him start to fly. He is learning how to build and fly, he is not doing to bad, and loves to fly any chance he can get (kinda like me).

Thanks

Michael Duffy
520-403-0927

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 11:17:38 PM »
i too would like to know the specs for this plane because i am building my little brother one of these planes to help him start to fly. He is learning how to build and fly, he is not doing to bad, and loves to fly any chance he can get (kinda like me).

Thanks

Michael Duffy
520-403-0927

This should work. Select Aircraft, Aircraft - Control Line, Control Line - kits, and Akromaster for the specs:

http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/MainMenuFV4.html?E+Sig

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here