News:

• March 29, 2024, 09:33:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Large Scale Additive Manufacturing & Control Line / RC Aviation  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Micheal Torrey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Hello - On October's end-of-month Live stream, I asked if I could showcase some things I've been working on... So here I am!
I guess the first question is yes I am an AMA Member - Yes, I've flown control line! - I started on Balsa and looked back -

I was introduced formally in Elementry by an inspiring teacher - and the bug grew  ~>
Then I met Eric Cooley - He introduced me to the big Leagues - Eagle Two Trainer, and a Piper Cub - 68" wing span! Balsa Wood!
Fast Foward I Graduated From Raise Beck Aviation High School in Seattle - Currently an engineer and still in college - Yet the bug never stopped...  ~>

Now id like to formally introduce my project to a community I know will only strengthen my team with critical feedback on how D3 Labs can change the world
one baby step at a time - Starting back at our roots - Control Line/RC -

3D printing is not new and currently has its fingers grasped tightly around the Aviation industry (small Scale). Yet it's not affordable and available to everyone - Until now
Over the next 48 hours - I plan on uploading photos and tons of information as well as answering questions about what we're exactly doing, in hopes to present formally via live stream to the world for the first time.

We've built a 10Ft x 8FT X 8FT Additive and subtractive machine that also houses a Laser Scanning and Machine Learning process to correct and guarantee the precision of every part. Our system reaches 500c and prints Thermoplastics and embedded alloys.
And we love aviation - starting with the original

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Large Scale Additive Manufacturing & Control Line / RC Aviation
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 12:58:44 PM »
I’d like to see your machine. I’m in Olympia.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Roy DeCamara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 04:56:21 PM »
Yeah, great looking models.  Like something from a 1946 Cheerios box. LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Micheal Torrey

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 07:16:59 PM »
I'm glad you had a laugh! We posted some of our foamy first to catch a few off Guard.

We collectively have Several Eagle 2 Trainers
Great Planes Piper Cub 76" Wing Span - ALL BALSA

Were Currently putting together some photos and videos to display more in detail.
It has to be a direct Link though so we don't have to alter the quality of our photos to post on here.

Feel free to message me directly as well!
LINK https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fJJAqpV9O2n3UlYf7l5yTiBetq_lJH1j?usp=sharing

We'd also like to Print a Large Model for Stunt Hanger! How big can we make a Control Line Aircraft before we upset the AMA!  #^
Or impress the AMA?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 07:41:01 PM by Micheal Torrey »

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 08:07:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Micheal Torrey. I see your various planes you've been involved with, looks like a mixture of different building techniques from balsa to foam board. Also see that you are giving 3D printing a shot.

Many of us having all sorts of model flying interests, but especially the CL side. I fairly recently re-discovered CL after a long hiatus.

Started out with a Walt Musciano Scientific 18" stand way off scale Grumman F6F Hellcat full built up fuselage and silkspan covered wing in 1965 as an 11 YO, plus built a half dozen rubber powered stick and tissue kits then, mostly Comet but a few others from Scientific (Cessna 180), Stinson sheet balsa (may be Top Flite), etc., largest the 33" Comet Sparky. Had my share of plastic CL RTF's that didn't end well. Since through high school grew to over a dozen, plus some half-A CL's hanging static in my bedroom ceiling.

Then discovered balsa flies better in 1973 with a 20" Sterling Beginner Fokker E-III Eindecker profile CL with .049 Babe Bee engine. Crashed in many times in learning, but it was very sturdy flown over grass.

Since we are mainly a control line forum, please do share your CL experiences, I'm sure the others here are all ears to hear about your experiences.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 09:10:00 PM »
[quote
We'd also like to Print a Large Model for Stunt Hanger! How big can we make a Control Line Aircraft before we upset the AMA!  #^
Or impress the AMA?
[/quote]

You haven't read this forum at all, or know much about C/L models in general. One of the scale guys in out club, that writes the C/L scale column for Model Aviation has a 8 or 9 foot span profile scale B-29. Another scale guy flies a 1/4scale Space Walker. How about six foot span Ringmasters and Flite Streaks? Those and others have been shown and discussed here on Stunthanger.

Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Advertise Here

Advertise Here