News:

• May 05, 2024, 01:55:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Foam Wing Help  (Read 836 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Foam Wing Help
« on: February 17, 2018, 10:06:25 PM »
   Is there anyone within a decent driving distance of St. Louis that does hot wire work on foam wings? I have plans to build Lew McFarland's Akromaster stunt model, and have a couple of sets of his "Excell" foam wing cores. These are not cored out. I think the standard procedure is to sheet the wings first and then core them out? I do not have the stuff to do this with and would like it done correctly without  (maybe) shipping them off somewhere to have it done. I still have to do the sheeting work and want to get that part of it done as soon as possible and start cutting a "kit" of the rest of the model. The plans I have shows a built up wing, but one of Lew's prototypes had foam wings and there is an add for them in the same issue of American Aircraft Modeler, and for the sake of history would like to use the foam wings, and they do tend to last a bit longer than open bays. Drop me a line if there is someone out there in my area that can help me out.
   Thanks a lot in advance,
   Dan McEntee
   Florissant, MO
  (St. Louis County)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:35:27 AM by Dan McEntee »
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Dave Harmon

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • Tulsa Glue Dobbers C/L and R/C Clubs
Re: Foam Wing Help
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 12:43:15 AM »
Hi Dan....
Contact Leo Steck.
https://www.rcmissouri.com/

He does outstanding work and he is local to you.
He mfgs incredible Pattern planes.

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 07:47:40 AM »
Dan,

I always go to the Vendor's Corner first for my CL needs, but that's me. Including Graphics. ;D

Just so happens we have JD's Foam Wings and John Duncan on the hot wire!  LL~

I designed the wing for Pushy Galore and sent John the drawing. Not your normal CL drawing.

PERFECT! He also placed a 1/8" spar EXACTLY where I had it drawn on the plan.

As you said Dan, John sent the wing back and I sheeted it. After the sheeting I sent it

back for removal of the inside core. Again John removed the core EXACTLY per my drawing.

John responds to emails quickly and will talk about your project over the phone.

And his pricing, for the quality product like my custom wing, is more than reasonable.

JD's Foam Wings. In the Vendor's Corner.

Good luck with your project.

Charles

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 09:17:02 AM »
Hi Dan:

I was the guy who was cutting all those kit wings for Lew's Akromaster back in the day. The RC cores were not cored out, but the CL version of the model came with cored out wings. I also sheeted a bunch of them for Lew for some of his upper-end kits. I can do the coring, but you'd have to send the wing to me here in PA. I'd be happy to do the coring at no charge other than postage.

Later - Bob Hunt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here