News:

• April 23, 2024, 09:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tri gear stooge  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Roger Altizer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Tri gear stooge
« on: March 21, 2018, 07:14:12 PM »
Folks,
I completed my first tri gear airplane (Pathfinder) last fall and was wondering what you guys are doing by way of using a stooge with tri gear?  I tried several different things without a lot of success: hooked the stooge to the inside wheel, model turned way in; hooked it to the outside wheel and it turned way out.  I didn't try the nose wheel as I would have to deal with the inside wheel running over the "trip" string.  I came up with a tall stooge to attach it to an eye hook that I installed near the tail of the fuselage.  It worked, but is quite a heavy and "gaudy" rig.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Go Mountaineers!
Roger Altizer
Frankford, WV
AMA 17351

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tri gear stooge
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 07:55:50 PM »
  You need something that looks like football field goal uprights that pick up both sides of the stab, and pivots at the base plate. I rigged something up from 1/2" PVC pipe and one hole J-straps that works pretty well but don't have pictures. Do a search of the forum for tricycle gear stooges and I'll bet something comes up. If it works for tricycle gear it will work for a tail dragger also. Any of the other methods you described tend to be hazardous to the model if not to yourself. I've tried them! You just need two padded uprights, and secure way to latch and release them. There is a YouTube video for everything, I would look there also!
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 09:08:01 PM »
The nicest one I know of was done by my flying buddy.  It was originally some cover for something, but you could use a large cutting board.  Cut a big square "U" out of one end, then a "U" inside of that (to make the "goalposts" that Dan talks about).  Then hinge it along the line to the inside of the board, and rig up the release mechanism.  The nice thing about it is that if you're careful with the hinge, a plane with a tailwheel will just roll right over the hinge without noticing.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 09:26:16 PM »
Don Ogren has designed a real good trike gear stooge.  He's on this Forum.  SH Stunter is his handle.  Shoot him a PM.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 04:51:38 AM »
Yup
Don's stooges are available from Brodak, tooo!
MUCH better than a tailwheel type....
http://brodak.com/stooge.html

Have fun!

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »
I used to fly with a stooge, but he moved to Reno

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »
All my planes regular or trike gear use a lead out wire launch cable attached securely in the tail, long enough to reach down to the stooge.  Make a small loop in the free end to engage the stooge.  It also is how I hang the planes on the wall at home from a screw or nail.
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 11:49:43 AM »
I have that Brodak stooge and it is worth every dollar I spent for it.   Was too lazy to build one when Don wrote the article years before.  I still use my regular stooge once in a while. H^^ 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Roger Altizer

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
Thanks, folks, for all of the good suggestions.  I knew I would get some good info here.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here