News:

• May 26, 2024, 03:15:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: L. Da Vince's words still "RING SOOOO TRUE EVEN TODAY!"  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
L. Da Vince's words still "RING SOOOO TRUE EVEN TODAY!"
« on: April 28, 2012, 11:18:23 AM »
Just received an E mail from a friend...who always uses this amazing L. Da Vinci's  famous quote at the end of his E mails....
That truly RING SO TRULY....even today!

"When once you have tasted flight you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.....
for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

L.Da Vinci
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 01:04:23 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Online qaz049

• Commander
Re: L. Da Vince's words still "RING SOOOO TRUE EVEN TODAY!"
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »
Just received an E mail from a friend...who always uses this amazing L. Da Vinci's  famous quote at the end of his E mails....
That truly RING SO TRULY....even today!

"When once you have tasted flight you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.....
for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

L.Da Vinci

Regrettably it's not a quote that anyone has been able to find in his writings. Best guess from Wiki is that it comes from a French TV dramatization of the life of Da Vinci made in the 1970's.  In other words it's completely made up!

Fake quotations like this are rife on the internet, it's part of the great dumbing down that the human race is undergoing.

Sorry, Ray
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 07:01:12 PM by Ray Fairall »

Offline David M Johnson

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:04:43 PM »
I like it anyway, he could have said it.
"Even the worst of us can be used as Bad examples."
Bill Clinton
David Johnson
We're havin some fun now!!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 07:08:36 PM »
I hear quotes from the founding fathers all the time. They are usually incorrect.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 09:39:40 PM »
Uh....Perhaps the quote I should be using is?????????????????????????????????????????????"NEVA-UP! NEVA IN?" LL~ H^^
Don Shultz

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 08:07:11 AM »
I am not going to ask you to explain that quote, as I know where you made it originally. LL~ LL~
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »
I am not going to ask you to explain that quote, as I know where you made it originally. LL~ LL~

ALSO  VD~ **)LIKE PUTTIN' AS IN GOLF? n~ LL~ LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
  I've heard this quote before, but I can't place it with a name. I don't think Da Vince said it because he had not "tasted flight" in his time period. All of his designs were theoretical, correct?  My guess is that it was one of the early European pioneer aviators, Bleriot, perhaps.
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 07:40:17 AM »
credit to http://www.etni.org.il/quotes/flying.htm

"Man must rise above the Earth -- to the top of the atmosphere and beyond -- for only thus will he fully understand the world in which he lives." -- Socrates

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." -- Leonardo da Vinci

"My soul is in the sky." -- William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream,' Act V. Scene I.

"The most beautiful dream that has haunted the heart of man since Icarus is today reality." -- Louis Bleriot

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky." -- Amelia Earhart

"More than anything else the sensation is one of perfect peace mingled with an excitement that strains every nerve to the utmost, if you can conceive of such a combination." -- Wilbur Wright

"Lovers of air travel find it exhilarating to hang poised between the illusion of immortality and the fact of death." -- Alexander Chase, 'Perspectives,' 1966

"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . ." -- Antoine de St-Exupery

"To put your life in danger from time to time... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities." -- Nevil Shute, 'Slide Rule'.

"What can you conceive more silly and extravagant than to suppose a man racking his brains, and studying night and day how to fly?" -- — William Law, 'A Serious Call to a Devout and Holly Life XI,' 1728.

"Flying. Whatever any other organism has been able to do man should surely be able to do also, though he may go a different way about it." -- Samuel Butler

"The airplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth." -- Antoine de St-Exup?ry, 'Wind, Sand, and Stars,' 1939.

"The modern airplane creates a new geographical dimension. A navigable ocean of air blankets the whole surface of the globe. There are no distant places any longer: the world is small and the world is one." -- Wendell Willkie

"We want the air to unite the peoples, and not to divide them." -- Lord Swinton

"Unlike the boundaries of the sea by the shorelines, the "ocean of air" laps at the border of every state, city, town and home throughout the world." -- Welch Pogue

"Aeronautics was neither an industry nor a science. It was a miracle." -- Igor Sikorsky

"The reason birds can fly and we can't is simply that they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings." -- Sir James Matthew Barrie

"Our passionate preoccupation with the sky, the stars, and a God somewhere in outer space is a homing impulse. We are drawn back to where we came from." -- Eric Hoffer, 'New York Times,' 21 July 1969, regards the first moon-landing.

"No bird ever flew nonstop from New York to Tokyo, or raced 15 miles high at triple the speed of sound. But birds do something else. They do not conquer the air; they romance it." -- Peter Garrison

"Travelers are always discoverers, especially those who travel by air. There are no signposts in the air to show a man has passed that way before. There are no channels marked. The flier breaks each second into new uncharted seas." -- Anne Morrow Lindbergh, 'North to the Orient,' 1935

"Every flyer who ventures across oceans to distant lands is a potential explorer; in his or her breast burns the same fire that urged adventurers of old to set forth in their sailing-ships for foreign lands." -- Jean Batten, 'Alone in the Sky' 1979.

"It will free man from the remaining chains, the chains of gravity which still tie him to this planet. It will open to him the gates of heaven." -- Wernher von Braun, on the importance of space travel, 10 February 1958.

"Whether outwardly or inwardly, whether in space or time, the farther we penetrate the unknown, the vaster and more marvelous it becomes." -- Charles A. Lindbergh, 'Autobiography of Values.'
AMA 12366

Online qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »
Here's what Wiki said about the quote  at: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Leonardo_da_Vinci

Once you have tasted flight

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

Regrettably, this appears not to be a genuine da Vinci quote. According to Dave English at Great Aviation Quotes,

This must be the most famous aviation quote that is not a verifiable quote. It is attributed everywhere (including some Smithsonian publications and the Washington Post) to Leonardo da Vinci, but I've never found definitive source information. Neither did some nice folks I talked with at 'National Geographic Magazine,' who contacted one of the world's leading Leonardo authorities in Italy as part of a long research process and were told that Leonardo da Vinci did not write it.

According to Google Book Search, the earliest appearance is 1975 in Analog Magazine (the story "The Storms of Windhaven", by Lisa Tuttle and George R.R. Martin), followed by the 1982 book "Windhaven". According to Lisa Tuttle, it was Ben Bova, the editor of Analog, who suggested it. I emailed Ben Bova, who said that he heard it in a documentary on Leonardo da Vinci. It was probably The Life of Leonardo Da Vinci (1971), which aired on CBS in English in 1972. It's available on Netflix in case anybody wants to follow up on this.

KHirsch 02:11, 27 March 2009 (UTC)

After a little further research, it was more likely *I, Leonardo da Vinci*, written by John H. Secondari (1919-1975) for the series Saga of Western Man. —KHirsch 02:58, 6 July 2010 (UTC)

But no one has followed up on this since 2010? Does anyone have the means to do so? I'd sure like to see it actually cleaned up or nailed down. Ed8r 15:08, 21 August 2011 (UTC)

Dave English did watch The Life of Leonardo Da Vinci, and the quote wasn't in it. I checked back with Ben Bova, who remembered that Fredric March was in the one he remembered, which led me to I, Leonardo da Vinci. Unfortunately, that hasn't been issued on DVD, so it's difficult to find. If my library did interlibrary loan for videos, I could get a VHS copy, but they don't, so I can't. I presume Ben Bova is correct since his memory is precise, but I can't verify it. It would also be nice to check if the film has any source/bibliographical notes.

Regardless of whether the quote is actually in that movie, I'm pretty comfortable with concluding that it's a misattribution. It doesn't appear in print until 1975 and nowhere is any specific source given. His writings are not so extensive, I think, that something like this would be hard to find. Also, to judge by the sourced quotes here, da Vinci had many fantastic talents, but turning a memorable phrase just wasn't among them.

—KHirsch 02:01, 24 August 2011 (UTC)

This quote is worded from the point of view of a person who has experienced flight, but was that the case for da Vinci? I don't know when ballooning, or gliding, were invented... --94.195.19.132 16:12, 27 December 2011 (UTC)

So to summarize what we know, based largely on the research of KHirsch above, the quote was first used in print (and misattributed to Leonardo da Vinci) in a science fiction story published in 1975, The Storms of Windhaven. One of the authors, Lisa Tuttle, remembers that the quote was suggested by science fiction writer Ben Bova, who says he believes he got the quote from a TV documentary narrated by Fredric March, presumably I, Leonardo da Vinci, written by John H. Secondari for the series Saga of Western Man, which aired on 23 February 1965. If this is correct, then the quote may have been written by Secondari for the TV documentary, and Ben Bova incorrectly assumed that he was quoting da Vinci. Accordingly, the probable author is John Hermes Secondari (1919-1975), American author and television producer. - Embram 15:17, 28 January 2012 (UTC)

However, I should mention that a 1976 edition of Contact Quarterly, a biannual journal of contemporary dance, improvisation and performance, cites Leonardo da Vinci's Codex on the Flight of Birds as the source of the quotation. I don't know where to get a translation of that Codex, but I imagine one must be available somewhere, so it can be checked. - Embram 16:15, 28 January 2012 (UTC)

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 10:01:22 AM »
Sparky!
Thanks for taking the time to share these beautifully written words pertaining to "The mere love of flight!" NO MATTER...WHO, WHERE, OR WHEN THEY WERE WRITTEN!

Ray...Truth or consequences? Actually I just love the quote.  The mere fact of being human perhaps just might PROVE THAT NOTHING THOUGHT OR WRITTEN BY HUMAN KIND CAN REALLY BE CONSIDERED TRULY------ "ORIGINAL?" S?P H^^
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 10:17:14 AM »
Dad had a picture of a B-17 at Wright Field in the '40's. On it was inscribed: "Thanks for the ride, Orville."  Yup ol' Dad piloted Orville Wright around Ohio on a nice Spring day. Several times, actually. Unfortunately, he apparently gave the picture to his 2nd wife's son. That picture really should be in the Museum of Flight. Anyway, you could add that to your list of quotes of famous aviators. :(  Steve

PS: We can only imagine the final quotes of many, like Wiley Post/Will Rogers and Amelia Earhart  SH^
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here