News:

• April 18, 2024, 02:07:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: KYO B-36 Peacemaker info and plans needed  (Read 2024 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
KYO B-36 Peacemaker info and plans needed
« on: October 03, 2019, 07:46:10 PM »
 I recently acquired an old KYO (Kyosho) kit of the B-36 Peacemaker. If I recall correctly this kit was produced in two sizes, one with something like an 80" span and the other at somewhere around 100". I'd like to accurately confirm those dimensions if possible? I'm thinking the kit I have is the larger of the two versions and appears to be complete and unmolested except for the plans. Does anyone have any leads on where I might find a nice set?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 08:46:39 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
Re: KYO B-36 Peacemaker info and plans needed
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 08:03:33 PM »
Can't wait to see the build thread on this one.  Wayne, you'll do it proud!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 08:14:01 PM »
 I do have six NIB FP.15's, but I don't have four Jetexes.  ;D

Wayne Willey

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 10:34:54 PM »
I do have six NIB FP.15's, but I don't have four Jetexes.  ;D

That's a good one!
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
Like this?

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 09:37:06 AM »
I recently acquired an old KYO (Kyosho) kit of the B-36 Peacemaker. If I recall correctly this kit was produced in two sizes, one with something like an 80" span and the other at somewhere around 100". I'd like to accurately confirm those dimensions if possible? I'm thinking the kit I have is the larger of the two versions and appears to be complete and unmolested except for the plans. Does anyone have any leads on where I might find a nice set?
Greetings!  You have a real gem in your possession, that's for sure!  As to your question, although they're not the KYO plans, I found the following sale for a cd with both 80" and 118" wingspan plans for $10: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-Airplane-Plans-RC-B-36-Peacemaker-115-80-Ws-Elec-Pwred-on-CD/173861846999?hash=item287af93fd7:g:ohEAAOSwPg9cVf6Q

A few years ago, 17 February 2014, I borrowed a kit for a KYO B-29 from a friend of mine so I could replicate the kit.  He graciously trusted me with the kit and few days later I was able to return the kit to him.  I copied the plans, made the templates and began cutting the wood.  A few months later, 8 June, 2016, we witnessed it's first flight!!  On 14 May 2016, another fellow trusted me with his Eureka SA-16 Albatross; again I copied the plans made the templates and began cutting wood.  On 16 December 2017,  we witnessed the first flight.  The build log of both of these models was shared on this forum on Aviojet's section and on RCGroups.

Now to a proposal, I'd like to put forth.  Would you be willing to entrust your kit to me for the purpose of allowing me to replicate the kit?  It is my promise to return the kit to you in as good a condition as you send it, as quickly as possible and in return, I will provide you with a copy of the build log, notes, and photos going forward or upon completion of the build, whichever you prefer.  Please realize I will be creating a set of working drawings but I'm not a draftsman and I don't use CAD so this may be the showstopper for you but, God Willing, I can guarantee you will receive a copy of everything I come up with for the purpose of completing the model.  If this is acceptable, I will reimburse you the postage for shipping.

Jim Carter
Titusville, FL. 32796

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 12:04:02 PM »
This could be an awesome build!  Just FYI, I mentioned this kit to a long time serious modeler I know. He cautioned that the Kyosho kits were prone to very heavy, hard, wood and his big concern was the landing gear. He said he had seen more than one of these kits shed their landing gear after a couple good bounces.   As you go forward you might consider reenginerring the gear mounting some.

I am very anxious to see how this turns out. It should be a most impressive model!!

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 05:47:56 PM by Gordon Van Tighem »
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 01:14:25 PM »
This could be an awesome build!  Just FYI, I mentioned this kit to a long time serious modeler I know. He cautioned that the Kyosho kits were prone to very heavy, hard, wood and his big concern was the landing gear. He said he had seen more than one of these kits shed their landing gear after a couple good bounces.   As you go forward you might consider reenginerring the gear mounting some.

I am very anxious to see how this turns out. It should be a most impressive model!!

Gary
Hi Gary!  Yeah, it's not necessarily the best wood in the kits but I was able to use current balsa and ply with my replicas.  Nevertheless, I built both of them according to the plans with only very slight modifications.  As for the landing gear, I can't say what happened to others, but I fly off a grass field that's definitely NOT "putting green quality and I've not had any problems with my landing gear to date.  The B-29 came in at 9lb 4oz dry and the Albatross came in at 4.3lb dry.  Don't think I could have built them much lighter and enjoyed the same degree of success.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2019, 03:34:35 PM »
Hi Gary!  Yeah, it's not necessarily the best wood in the kits but I was able to use current balsa and ply with my replicas.  Nevertheless, I built both of them according to the plans with only very slight modifications.  As for the landing gear, I can't say what happened to others, but I fly off a grass field that's definitely NOT "putting green quality and I've not had any problems with my landing gear to date.  The B-29 came in at 9lb 4oz dry and the Albatross came in at 4.3lb dry.  Don't think I could have built them much lighter and enjoyed the same degree of success.
Jim, good to hear. Yes, sometimes the experiences of others do not jive with our own, that's for sure.   

Gary

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 07:44:48 PM »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 07:47:19 PM »

Now to a proposal, I'd like to put forth.  Would you be willing to entrust your kit to me for the purpose of allowing me to replicate the kit?  It is my promise to return the kit to you in as good a condition as you send it, as quickly as possible and in return, I will provide you with a copy of the build log, notes, and photos going forward or upon completion of the build, whichever you prefer.  Please realize I will be creating a set of working drawings but I'm not a draftsman and I don't use CAD so this may be the showstopper for you but, God Willing, I can guarantee you will receive a copy of everything I come up with for the purpose of completing the model.  If this is acceptable, I will reimburse you the postage for shipping.

No offense Jim but I'm gonna pass on that one, sorry.

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 07:50:39 PM »

If I recall correctly this kit was produced in two sizes, one with something like an 80" span and the other at somewhere around 100". I'd like to accurately confirm those dimensions if possible?

Does anyone have the answer for the above question?

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 08:06:37 PM »

Gary

Thanks for the info Gary but yeah, it's pretty obvious this thing would be akin to a lead brick if built straight-out-of-the-box. The construction and provided wood is typical of all the old KYO/Kyosho kits, they're very well done but do use heavy materials. I also have NIB kits of the Corsair, Zero, Bearcat and Skyraider.
 I've always wanted a kit of the KYO B-36 and would honestly LOVE to build and fly one but very highly doubt I'll ever tackle the project. Heck, a guy could probably build an easy dozen or so planes in the time it would take to do this '36.  y1

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2019, 07:27:50 PM »

Still looking to fill in the blanks here... ???

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 09:36:53 PM »
 Halfway there, I've gotten ahold of a nice original copy of the sheet showing the fuselage, sheet #2.

Still searching for the sheet for the wing, sheet #1 I'm assuming.  D>K

Wayne Willey

Offline skyshark58

• skyshark58
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 10:19:40 PM »
I still have my Eureka B-29 kit. Never been out of the box! $600 or make me an offer.   Mike
mike potter

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 05:39:02 PM »
I still have my Eureka B-29 kit. Never been out of the box! $600 or make me an offer.   Mike

Um, not really sure how that relates to a search for B-36 plans.  D>K

Wayne Willey

Offline Russ Main

• 2016 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 04:59:22 AM »
I'm your Huckleberry, sent you a PM let me know if you still need the wing plan.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 06:40:19 PM »
I'm your Huckleberry, sent you a PM let me know if you still need the wing plan.

Thanks Russ, I was busy last night but I shot you a reply via Email just a little bit ago.

Wayne Willey

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2019, 05:09:50 PM »
Remember 7lbs 10oz is the max for precision aerobatics. Yee haw!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 06:16:59 PM »

Ha!  :)

Wayne Willey

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2019, 08:20:59 PM »
I built one and the wing span was 112 inches. My brother sent me a kit from Taiwan(Formosa) as it was called then. Cost was $13.95. So if I would have kept the kit I'  would have had an asset that appreciated.
On the other hand the kit leaves a lot to be desired. The wood has been described but there isn't enough of it to complete the model and you definitely will have to engineer a really sturdy bell crank and mounting system to take the really unbelievable pull when flying.
I would electrify the model and have cool functions like having each motor start in sequence opening bomb bays. You get the idea.
Above all if your not the really muscular or a young vital individual I'd get someone who is to fly it. after all they can take the pain of monumental pull on the lines for 14 laps.
Oh, and for the most part the landing gear shock struts and all will eventually fail. The pins break.
Have fun. it is after all toy airplanes

Offline Gordon Van Tighem

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Gord VT
MAAC 3738L, Life Member
AMA C3738L

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2019, 10:13:29 PM »
Don't put it past Paul to be able to build one and stunt it!!  LOL!!!!

Gary

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2019, 10:45:42 PM »
I built one and the wing span was 112 inches. My brother sent me a kit from Taiwan(Formosa) as it was called then. Cost was $13.95. So if I would have kept the kit I'  would have had an asset that appreciated.
On the other hand the kit leaves a lot to be desired. The wood has been described but there isn't enough of it to complete the model and you definitely will have to engineer a really sturdy bell crank and mounting system to take the really unbelievable pull when flying.
I would electrify the model and have cool functions like having each motor start in sequence opening bomb bays. You get the idea.
Above all if your not the really muscular or a young vital individual I'd get someone who is to fly it. after all they can take the pain of monumental pull on the lines for 14 laps.
Oh, and for the most part the landing gear shock struts and all will eventually fail. The pins break.
Have fun. it is after all toy airplanes

Thanks for the info Dennis, and yeah, there would certainly be some details to change if a guy was going to build and actually fly one. I'd love to see one ripping around the circle in person, it's got to be pretty impressive. Not gonna happen here though, once I find the replacement plan sheet I'm looking for this one's going up for sale.  y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2019, 03:22:22 PM »
Thanks for the info Dennis, and yeah, there would certainly be some details to change if a guy was going to build and actually fly one. I'd love to see one ripping around the circle in person, it's got to be pretty impressive. Not gonna happen here though, once I find the replacement plan sheet I'm looking for this one's going up for sale.  y1
Man %^@!  Here I asked to "borrow" the kit so I could replicate it and even create the patterns, templates and plan, as needed, and return everything to you and you passed  :-\.  I would have even built one for you too, if you wanted  :-\!!  Okay, since you're planning to sell it, what's your asking price, as is ?

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2019, 10:34:09 PM »
  I would have even built one for you too, if you wanted  :-\!! 

That's crazy, building this model would be a major project.

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2019, 10:35:22 PM »
  Okay, since you're planning to sell it, what's your asking price, as is ?

Not sure yet, but not cheap.

Wayne Willey

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2019, 10:34:04 AM »
I don't want to cause any controversy on the forum. I'm always amused at people paying enormous amounts of cash for old kits in all of the modelling venues. This is not a practical long term investment as we all know that we are a shrinking number of participants in all of the modelling venues that require some skill and dedication to achieve these remarkable exceptional models.
Granted the urge to own is in all of us and I'm as guilty as anyone else for buying overpriced models but usually they are current production models. In most instances when you sell them online it is at a loss. Occasionally you get lucky and recoup your original price or make a small profit. But someone is eventually going to be at the end of the chain and eat the thing . Then it just might go to the dumpster in the sky because we are a continually shrinking group with no sizable amount of replacements entering and clamoring for products.
As has been stated here in a response I always try and acquire plans for the vintage or other models that I like. Of course today I keep hoping that there will be wood to build them.
But to sum it up if you have the money and you want it, well it is your cash and you can buy anything you want.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »
That's crazy, building this model would be a major project.
Howdy!  Yes, you are correct, but building is what I like to do!  No, I don't have a laser, CnC or any such … I'm just a jigsaw, Dremel, X-acto blade and sandpaper kind of guy but it's what the Good Lord has allowed me to use, enjoy and do for all these years.  It took me from inception, 17 Feb 2014, until maiden flight, 8 June 2016 to scratch build my replica KYO B-29 Superfortress and I have over $1,154 invested as it sat on the ground for the first flight.  Like many of us, I don't have a lot of money stashed or in the bank or that my wife will let me spend, either.  From month to month, I do my best to just break even with building and repairing models for others and as the customer base around me gets older and less interested, the work and projects are/is getting fewer and further between.  Heck, at nearly 71 years of age, I can't guarantee I'll even live long enough to complete such a project but I have always believed that if I don't "take the first step" I'll never learn to walk, so to speak, thus my offer to take on the challenge.  But based upon your reticence and thoughts for great profit and the wisdom thinking of Mr. Dennis, maybe I should just back off and focus on some other project challenges!  I have to believe the Good Lord will place another challenge before me without me going through a lot of asking, begging or discord.  The other day, I shipped a highly modified radio controlled model yacht to a customer in California, a project that took me nearly 9 months from inception to "sea trials".  It truly was one of my "bucket list" projects and I was very pleased with how it turned out, now I'm praying he will be as pleased with what he sees and how it handles as I was.  Oh well, n'uff said!!  Take care! 

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2019, 01:24:29 PM »
I don't want to cause any controversy on the forum. I'm always amused at people paying enormous amounts of cash for old kits in all of the modelling venues. This is not a practical long term investment as we all know that we are a shrinking number of participants in all of the modelling venues that require some skill and dedication to achieve these remarkable exceptional models.
Granted the urge to own is in all of us and I'm as guilty as anyone else for buying overpriced models but usually they are current production models. In most instances when you sell them online it is at a loss. Occasionally you get lucky and recoup your original price or make a small profit. But someone is eventually going to be at the end of the chain and eat the thing . Then it just might go to the dumpster in the sky because we are a continually shrinking group with no sizable amount of replacements entering and clamoring for products.
As has been stated here in a response I always try and acquire plans for the vintage or other models that I like. Of course today I keep hoping that there will be wood to build them.
But to sum it up if you have the money and you want it, well it is your cash and you can buy anything you want.
Mr. Dennis, I have taken your thoughts into consideration and I have to honor and respect your thinking.  You are correct and I admit there is that same kind of "human" weakness in me but you are right … and though after 43 years of marriage so is my wife!!  I can't afford to let my "dreams" be bigger than my wallet!!  Thank you sir for your wisdom and thoughts!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2019, 06:00:52 PM »
 Jeez, all I had to do was make one comment about selling this thing and it starts the fire. I had passed on Jim's request early on in this thread and at the same time I even clarified that I meant no offense (Reply #14). I passed on Jim's offer simply because I don't want to be shipping this thing back and forth across the country and risk damage or loss. No offense Jim, really.

As comes up here often though, there's an endless varying of opinions and points of view on the desirability and "value" of our toy airplanes and related stuff. That's fine, everyone is entitled to their own viewpoints about them. The "value" or "worth" of them is a perceived thing though, based primarily on how much any individual "desires" a particular item. This hobby is an excellent example of that. It can be looked at like wandering around any swap meet where I've been guilty many times of paying more than something might probably be "worth", a simple result of my "desire" to have it. The other side of that is getting what I've perceived to be great deals too, paying less than what I thought the item might be "worth". No one here is going to get rich trading items related to this hobby, and most here realize that. A good thing is that most here also realize that it's not what our hobby is all about.

My case with this KYO B-36 kit is that it's one that I've always thought was very cool and have always been really interested in and curious about. Enough so that I've kind of always wanted one even though the chance of me building it is extremely unlikely. To me it's just cool old stuff, the kind of stuff MANY of us here have our own "collections" of. The kit also comes from the time period in our hobby that I'm most fond of, adding to the "desire" in my particular case. 

However, I've seen what a nice example of this kit sells for at times. Only because of that I will probably offer it up for sale at some point before too long. When that time comes it'll be a fair price IMO but it won't be a giveaway. If someone then comes along that "desires" it more than I do I'll be fine with letting it go. I'd rather not put it on Ebay for them to take their 10% chunk right off the top though, I'd rather look at it like passing that 10% off to the proud new owner. Whichever way it all pans out I'd have no problem at all just hanging on to this kit for my own admiration either, to me I guess there's a certain amount of "value" (or addiction?) in that.  :)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:33:32 PM by wwwarbird »

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2019, 07:23:12 PM »
I built one and the wing span was 112 inches.

Do you have any old photos of yours Dennis? Anyone else have photos of a finished one?

This 88" version hangs on a wall in the lobby of the FBO at the Fairmont, MN airport, about 60 miles west of here...

(I just noticed now that the builder put the star-and-bar on the wing upside down, arrgh, that one always gets me)

Wayne Willey

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
No offense Jim, really.
Good sir, there was no offense taken neither was there any offense intended by me.  We are good!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2019, 08:31:37 PM »
Good sir, there was no offense taken neither was there any offense intended by me.  We are good!

Roger that, carry on!  :)

Wayne Willey

Advertise Here
Tags: b24 

Advertise Here