News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:14:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: KITS ON EBAY  (Read 9141 times)

Online doug coursey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
KITS ON EBAY
« on: January 28, 2023, 08:12:16 AM »
BRODAK RING MASTER FROM BRODAK $161   SAME KIT ON EBAY $198?????
AMA 21449

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: KITS ON EBAY
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 08:33:12 AM »
And THAT happens more than you'd think.

Stan Fronenberg (Vintage Performance "something") sells reproductions of kits popular back in the day. His kits are reasonably priced laser-cut kits from fresh wood. Now go look at the 'Bay for an original...and the guy may be asking 3-4x as much.
The way to counter this is to enlighten the 'Bay seller on current pricing on current production. Occasionally the seller will remark his price.
I'm a sucker for nostalgia...but once a new kit is in the air, nobody will know it is a new kit unless I tell them. I can (and do) buy a lot of reproductions and parts with the money saved.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 10:14:25 AM »
I have tried watching kits and engines on the Ebay since before I retired.  There are some people that more money than they do brain cells.  If Brodak, Sig and RSM could get the prices some of these kits are going for they ould not be cutting back.  The same with some engines.  I still wonder how many engines are out there laying in a drawer or stuffed in a box .  I seen an engine go for ridiculous price and within a week the bay was loaded with the same type engine. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 11:58:50 AM »
YOU CAN BUY 2 SUPER COMBAT FLIGHTSTREAK KITS AND HAVE $20 LEFT OVER FROM VINTAGE FOR THE PRICE OF 1 KIT ON EBAY
AMA 21449

Online kevin king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 06:21:56 PM »
Seems both Amazon and Ebay practice price gouging.

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 08:22:11 PM »
A Merco 61 Black Streak NIB sold this week for close to $400! The "must have" mentality hard at work.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 08:13:48 AM »
I have an old Ringmaster kit.  It has a plastic canapé  which should date it.  complete except for the silk span.  Wonder what it is worth on eBay?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 10:25:22 AM »
Seems both Amazon and Ebay practice price gouging.

eBay doesn't practice price gouging. It is all by what people are willing to pay.
Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 12:48:15 PM »

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 01:32:14 PM »
eBay doesn't practice price gouging. It is all by what people are willing to pay.

And it really only boils down to one to three buyers sometimes, It only takes two!! My strategy is to watch auctions, and if a kit or engine brings an inflated price, it will bring some others out of the wood work,  and then the rest of us can have a chance. Some sellers just have a good reputation for their items and service. The two that Steve Lotz posted is a guy that goes by "gatafish." I have bought from him before, and had several phone conversations with him over a potential deal here in my area. He buys estates and is very picky about what he buys and gets the best used or new stuff he can find, he packs well, ships fast and is known for that, so people will push their bids on his stuff more than if I was selling stuff!! Add that to a couple of bidders that really want something and that's how prices get inflated. One transaction doesn't necessarily dictate what something is worth, and that is what I tell people. Crazy money is on eBay sometimes but also so is the extra fees and such. I don't generally set a price of something I'm selling by eBay trends.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2023, 01:58:29 PM »

Online Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2023, 03:22:11 PM »
Is this high?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334625160596

It is, but more importantly the person selling it and the person who would buy it must be.W.W.

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 03:46:15 PM »
> eBay doesn't practice price gouging. It is all by what people are willing to pay.

Thanks for bringing that comment.  That seller, gatafish, provides an excellent service.  He has over 80 items offered at auction at the moment.  That's a lot of work to photograph, list and ship that many items in a week's time.

And regarding eBay, yes, they do charge for their website and payment handling service.  But the site pretty much works, so some sellers are willing to pay the price to get the service.

A recent listing for some selected balsa wood sparked some anger from an observer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325413700445

Again, I don't think it's fair to blame either eBay or the seller for the bids, as those come from willing buyers.

Peter

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2023, 07:24:53 PM »
Again, I don't think it's fair to blame either eBay or the seller for the bids, as those come from willing buyers.

Peter

Truth in a nutshell.   y1 y1 y1
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Kafin Noe’man

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2023, 08:21:49 PM »
Well, sometimes, if you're lucky enough, you'll get stuff with very good price.
Especially after the recent Brodak price hike on their website.

Earlier this month, I got a Brodak warbird series Kit (40 size) for only US$ 75, meanwhile it's now US$ 206 at the Brodak's website.

You won't have that much choice though, but still a good place to source your need for C/L parts.

And I also got a Prowler ARF Kit for only US$ 120 from eBay just recently. I think that was a good deal for me who lives outside the States, considering that I also need to spend more on the shipping cost.

So far, so good for me.
INA 1630
I fly: Vector, Cardinal, XEBEC, and Banshee

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2023, 05:46:39 AM »
You just have to be a smart buyer on Flea Bay.  Flea Bay takes huge fees from sellers.  I won't sell there.  Back in the day in the beginning of eBay I wanted to see how dumb people were so I posted a used pair of running shoes.  I figured nobody would buy USED shoes.  I was wrong.
Just glad to be here

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2023, 10:05:22 AM »
I as well as others on here have noted that if  you post "looking for a---" on here, it WILL appear on ebay in less than 24 hours, Every time, Check for yourself. D>K
Ty Marcucci

Offline Marty Hammersmith

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2023, 03:23:20 PM »
I as well as others on here have noted that if  you post "looking for a---" on here, it WILL appear on ebay in less than 24 hours, Every time, Check for yourself. D>K

I have not found that to be the case. I was looking for a number of things on here. I never saw a correlation of listings on ebay with anything I've mentioned here. Why would anyone do that? Sell it here direct and save the 15% fee.
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2023, 04:18:50 PM »
I too the old DOC Holliday have noticed that also.  Some one will ask about a kit, an engine or parts and it is already on the bay.  Are the computer nerds for getting to do a search. S?P

Yes I;m grumpy, just got woke up from nap. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2023, 08:28:29 PM »

I have also TY.  Several times. 

Mike

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2023, 01:06:23 PM »
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2023, 01:29:12 PM »
Links are bad.

If those two links are for what I think they were for. There were 2 Speedee biit kits for sale. A F-86 and a F-84. They had a hefty buy it how price on them with a make an offer option. They both were in the multi color last issue boxes. V.G. condition. They both sold for well over a hundred plus dollars.

Online Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2023, 01:50:15 PM »
There is nothing wrong w/ any Ebay sale.

Something is worth what a purchaser is willing to pay. If someone is not happy with the offered price, don't buy it.

I can't think of a more simple concept.

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2023, 03:20:16 PM »
There are a lot of kits selling now for what seem like crazy prices to me.  I guess it is all relative.  I have bought $25 Carl Goldberg 1/2a kits that sold for 12 bucks when I was younger that have a $2 price on the box.  Now they go for about $80 and up.

I was shocked to see a SIG Senior sell for $500 last week.  It was nice and in a sealed box.  If someone wanted a nice one for their collection, that was it.  But it sure doesn't seem like there would be $500 in ribs and stick in there.  What else is in the box?  Associated memories?

For me, it has always been a wonderful experience to open a new kit.  All the possibilities.  I really like SIG kits, my favorite.  But sealed means it loses its "value" if you open it.  Then again, I bought a Golden Bee off ebay that was still in its 1960s bubble pack and immediately opened it up and put it on a plane.  I paid a little extra to get one that was still new and then I got the joy of being the one to open it.  Like I didn't get to do when I was a kid.  The package was cool, I saved it.  With NOS or NIB, you are paying for someone to store it for you all those years.  Emotion is a big factor too.

I probably have an armload of "collector" kits.  They arrive and I live the dream and then they go when I know I won't build them, or interests change.  I also have a couple armloads that I definitely want to build.  I hope I live long enough... 

I had not sold anything on ebay for 3 or 4 years and tried again this spring.  Now they require you to link them to your bank account for deposits and payment.  I was concerned about that.  They made huge changes for selling and I could not navigate the convoluted and crazy shipping system.  Used to be able to just put in a price for shipping based on knowledge/guess.  If I charged too much, I always refunded the difference.  Usually, I paid a little extra.  Not anymore.  It was quite frustrating.  I only sell to lower 48 states and have to do a bunch of clicks each time to get that.  When they automatically signed me up for international shipping, that was the end of selling for me.  I still buy on there and have recently had two big problems with the seller not able to get the shipping computer to work for them.  I am understanding and offer my sympathies and patience. 

So, ebay is broken in my opinion and takes a cut that I think approaches 14% for sale and shipping charges.  USPS put a big surcharge on long packages and the price to ship a kit is high now.  SIG isn't making new kits, so old ones become "rare".  Combine that with a popular kit that is sealed, and you get a $500 SIG Senior. 

I would rather give them away than suffer the new ebay.  My relative's son is in 4th grade and very building inclined.  I see a lot of potential in him.  If I can get him interested in flying models, we are both set.  For Christmas, balsa kits are headed his way.

Pitts off.

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2023, 03:30:31 PM »
Is that “Pitts off” like Earl Pitts the great American?
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2023, 04:03:11 PM »
The price of kits and many engines have gotten pretty serious in the last year or two.   I think it has finally dawned on people that this stuff isn't made any more and they better grab anything of interest while they can-darned the price.   This is especially true of those who aren't into building from plans or scratch and most engine manufacturers are closed.  There is enough stuff out there to keep those left in the hobby going for a long time,  seeing many estates of modelers also going up on the bay'.  You will just have to pay the going rate.  I'm sure if you were to set up and make these item for sale today the prices would have to be similar in order for the business to survive.   When nobody wants to pay it,  the business goes away.

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2023, 07:03:25 PM »
Marty, you got it!  After a big rant, it seems to fit.  I like that you chose the word "great".   Hah

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2023, 09:13:52 AM »
FYI on Sig Banshee

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225904304461?hash=item3498f2214d:g:LkYAAOSwDfdlblRe&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAAsG2NlYVI%2F5XX9bb7aiVHxSMczBVHfEnJ5dqD93xJTZTMiQxutMMD8qkAMuiKEM2T91grDlOXl%2BGDc28QsvmetDuWxFM7gr4UmdJQCCgxC7dqWbb0TBWGQCtH3wfDlI5Ox1MIR0nH%2BHQGlx%2FAA4sYJImFs7vqzS2YDxcv7Ykpr%2FkC3TAlw0Cnwh4ayLFz%2BZp5G%2FsWqIsoCPhggKzcbBuldGxxA45Pdw7afCRnKzHJfS0M%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR5j5veWHYw

I'll be watching this to see where it goes. The seller has put up other SIG kits recently, including just balsa parts collections, and they have finished off pretty high. people were bidding more for Banshees that they were listed for even when they they were still available from SIG!! I firmly believe that there are a few people with deep pockets that just watch eBay and are addicted to it. Some will bid high just to prevent someone else from getting it. I still don't think eBay is a barometer of any kind of value for any item. It's an auction and people get carried away. I have seen kits listed at "Buy It Now" listings for less than what some go in an auction because people get carried away!!
 Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2023, 09:30:14 PM »
David and Dan look at the shipping. S?P
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2023, 10:31:28 PM »
David and Dan look at the shipping. S?P

Actually Doc, for a kit box that long 17 dollar range isn't too bad in this day and age. Most of these eBay seller start at 25$ or more. I'm beginning to think anything under 20 bucks is acceptable unless i can supply my own shipping label through Pirateship.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2023, 07:06:57 AM »
Yeah something went sideways with shipping in general this last year or so-  somehow length became a big deal.  You can ship heavy things cheaper than long things.  I paid more to ship in a roll of carbon that didn't weigh much ( box about 6 x 6 x about 42) than a square box of dope (about 15 lbs.) from Aircraft Spruce.  Kit boxes are long things....I shipped in two sheets of 1/32" aircraft ply and one 1/16"   36 x 48.   That shipping was as much as the wood.....

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2023, 08:09:06 AM »
Yeah something went sideways with shipping in general this last year or so-  somehow length became a big deal.  You can ship heavy things cheaper than long things.  I paid more to ship in a roll of carbon that didn't weigh much ( box about 6 x 6 x about 42) than a square box of dope (about 15 lbs.) from Aircraft Spruce.  Kit boxes are long things....I shipped in two sheets of 1/32" aircraft ply and one 1/16"   36 x 48.   That shipping was as much as the wood.....

Dave

The USPS has that surcharge for packages over 36". I'm not sure if UPS does or not. I would hazard a guess that may be one of many reasons Brodak discontinued ARFs. Sales may have really dropped off on those.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Peter in Fairfax, VA

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2023, 08:20:47 AM »
You're right, Dan.  UPS is better for kits than USPS for the reason you stated.  To our good fortune, Pirateship is the way to go, as it offers both for an easy comparison.

Some more USPS detail will follow.  There are two cutoffs at USPS.  Btw, for very long items, such as certain ARFs, or certain destinations, like AK and HI, USPS gets back in the picture.

USPS length fee details attached.

Peter

Online Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2023, 08:29:40 AM »
   The USPS has that surcharge for packages over 36". I'm not sure if UPS does or not. I would hazard a guess that may be one of many reasons Brodak discontinued ARFs. Sales may have really dropped off on those.

Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

It's not just shipping costs for Brodak.

I talked to Brodak some time ago and they said the costs to put ARF's but together in China was going to go up significantly. To be profitable, they would have to sell a larger ARF (say a Vector 40 for instance) for $400-$500. And no one would buy one at that price.

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2023, 08:35:23 AM »
It's not just shipping costs for Brodak.

I talked to Brodak some time ago and they said the costs to put ARF's but together in China was going to go up significantly. To be profitable, they would have to sell a larger ARF (say a Vector 40 for instance) for $400-$500. And no one would buy one at that price.
I REALIZE BALSA ANDOTHER PARTS HAVE GONE UP BUT I CANT SEE MANY KITS BEING SOLD FOR ALMOST $300,I LIKE THEIR KITS AND HAVE QUITE A FEW OF THEM I BOUGHT WHEN PRICES WERE MUCH LOWER.
AMA 21449

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2023, 03:10:47 AM »
Crazy prices for everything:

In just the last three years, after forced covid shutdown and supply chain problems, it seems everyone just raised their prices because they could, because everyone else did.  I understand a manufacturer could be forced to if their costs went up.  But prices went up by leaps and bounds - based on what, fuel costs?  There is a big problem...  Wages did not go up much at all.  Housing is nuts, where house payments are up so much and a much larger part of monthly expense now.  Folks are having a hard time.  If they quit spending, are big price cuts coming soon?

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2023, 10:26:04 AM »

In just the last three years, after forced covid shutdown and supply chain problems, it seems everyone just raised their prices because they could, because everyone else did.  I understand a manufacturer could be forced to if their costs went up.  But prices went up by leaps and bounds - based on what, fuel costs?  There is a big problem...  Wages did not go up much at all.  Housing is nuts, where house payments are up so much and a much larger part of monthly expense now.  Folks are having a hard time.  If they quit spending, are big price cuts coming soon?

Steve; What part of the country are you in? Here in Californication (yeah we're all getting screwed) houses in my neighborhood are selling for !.2-1.6K .............Thats over $1000.00 a month TAXES! I don't have the slightest idea how in the 'L they are doing it.

Glad we bought our house 53 years ago and are under Prop 13. If that ever goes away, I'll have to go away too.

Cheers, Jerry

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2023, 07:37:52 PM »
Well I just won a Kenhi Panther. Original kit.
Just glad to be here

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2023, 11:29:49 PM »

In just the last three years, after forced covid shutdown and supply chain problems, it seems everyone just raised their prices because they could, because everyone else did.  I understand a manufacturer could be forced to if their costs went up.  But prices went up by leaps and bounds - based on what, fuel costs?  …

I’ve worked in product distribution for decades. In the past few years “supply chain issues” has become a catch phrase that is largely mythical. Yes there were some hiccups like micro chips but that was more of a manufacturing delay. The company I work for experienced almost zero supply chain problems. Keep in mind that in the last year several trucking companies have experienced lay offs and some have closed due to lack of volume associated with inflation caused by the fed intentionality trying to slow the economy. Fuel costs? Most major carriers bill for freight and add a fuel surcharge based on current fuel prices, so fuel cost is more of a straight pass through than an increase in rates.  Major carriers bill differently than parcel delivery companies.

Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline David_Ruff

• David Ruff
  • Commander
  • Retired Army
Just glad to be here

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2024, 02:48:37 PM »
Back in the day there were two, three, or even four middlemen between the manufacturer and the end user and we never saw a shipping fee.

Now all the middemen have been exterminated and the buyer gets hit with a shipping charge.  If they sell 100% customer-direct the shipping should be in the base price, unless there is an option to pick it up. 
Paul Smith

Online doug coursey

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2024, 02:51:50 PM »
AMA 21449

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2024, 02:52:46 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/145529805105?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bpzucdO2Qse&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=NgsIQk5OQIO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That's a nice model. I don't think the price is out of line in this environment. If I can open a box and build an airplane without having to scour the Internet looking for wood and pieces, time is worth SOMETHING. I have a ridiculous amount of time invested in my current scratch built Akromaster. I had to make the leading and trailing edges from balsa on hand. I wasted 2 trips to a hobby store that's 45 minutes from my house. It'd be a nice change to put in a movie, grab a drink and open a box knowing I can just build for once.
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2024, 08:26:20 PM »
If I am reading this correctly, that is the reserve and bidding starts at no less than $150.00 with 8 days left to go on bidding.  Also, look at the shipping cost, almost $42.00.  Lets see 8 days from now what this kit sells for.

Mike

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2024, 11:28:09 PM »
You are reading that correctly. About $200 for a 52" wingspan classic kit. Im sort of keeping an eye on that one though I already have the plans.
Marty Hammersmith
AMA 6568

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2024, 08:09:02 AM »
Considering most of this stuff isn't made any more,  and you don't have a local hobby shop with 50 kits or engines sitting on the shelf for 1965 prices,  I guess paying whatever someone is willing to pay for something is fair.   It may be buy it now or forget it ever existed.   I know I've paid too much for some of the stuff I have but also got bargains on other things.  Some things  I paid (x) for two years ago I could sell back now for (xxx) and may just do some of that.   A better investment than the savings account.

Dave
AMA 20934

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2024, 09:26:42 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/166522898406?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3D

and this is down from $342.99

This is the kind that really kill me!! It's one of those "super sellers" that has over 19,000 items listed!! He has this Nobler kit listed, and in the description tells you to check all the photos, but he only shows one photo and it's of the end panel of the lid!! The box could be empty or full of empty die cut sheets. And as it has been pointed out that they have it "marked down" to $270 from $342 and change!! And it still has the original $14.95 price hand written on it!. I'm watching this one just to see where he goes with the price and if anyone bites on it. If it's an undisturbed kit, some one with deep pockets that has to have it could pay $250 for it to add to a collection. I see some of these on eBay that have shrink wrap on them and the seller mentions that in the add. I don't think I have EVER seen a kit of that vintage and size that was shrunk wrapped from the factory, I the kits wee too big and the wrap and equipment deemed to expensive, a quick piece of box tape to hold it shut is all they needed! ) so you have to be wary of that kind of scam. You really have to be careful these days!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2024, 09:48:10 AM »
   This is the kind that really kill me!! It's one of those "super sellers" that has over 19,000 items listed!! He has this Nobler kit listed, and in the description tells you to check all the photos, but he only shows one photo and it's of the end panel of the lid!! The box could be empty or full of empty die cut sheets. And as it has been pointed out that they have it "marked down" to $270 from $342 and change!! And it still has the original $14.95 price hand written on it!. I'm watching this one just to see where he goes with the price and if anyone bites on it. If it's an undisturbed kit, some one with deep pockets that has to have it could pay $250 for it to add to a collection. I see some of these on eBay that have shrink wrap on them and the seller mentions that in the add. I don't think I have EVER seen a kit of that vintage and size that was shrunk wrapped from the factory, I the kits wee too big and the wrap and equipment deemed to expensive, a quick piece of box tape to hold it shut is all they needed! ) so you have to be wary of that kind of scam. You really have to be careful these days!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
In 'those days' everybody wanted to open the box in the hobby shop to check it out before they coughed up the hard won $14.95!  Shrink wrap would have been shunned.  The first shrink wrapped kits I remember were the last of the Scientific 1/2A kits and Guillows rubber jobs sold at Woolco...when 'big' box stores sold a few kits.  That had to be early 70s.....I'm not too sure Woolco didn't wrap them.  While I worked at CMI models Johnny Carr bought a machine to start shrink wrapping the kits.  He said that was the only way he was going to be able to sell the kits through the big chain outlets.  That was 1970-71......

Dave
AMA 20934

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2024, 09:59:48 AM »
Then there is a recent post on RCG.
The guy bought a "believed to be complete kit (vendor's words)". The buyer gets the kit and starts picking through the punched-out sheets and parts only to discover this appears to be a "vintage box with larger scraps" from a collection." I keep my larger scraps in much the same kind of kit box.

I seem to remember he paid a premium for a long-desired kit. Either the seller doesn't know what he is selling, or mis-represented the lot.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here