News:

• May 24, 2024, 05:31:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: KING ORANGE  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Louis Rankin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
KING ORANGE
« on: April 01, 2007, 07:16:21 PM »
Many, many, thanks to Bill Hodges and the X-47 team for putting on a great contest.  I had a very good time and enjoyed meeting new friends.  If you were not there, you missed a premier event.

There were many pictures taken; however, not by me.  So, I am sure someone will start posting pictures soon.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: KING ORANGE
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 07:23:03 AM »
Louis,
Glad you are back in town. I hope someone got a picture of your new ride. I have heard about it but not yet seen a picture.
Did Jim Lynch go with you?

We need to gather the gang real soon and burn some fuel. Maybe I can see it then.

Paul
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
Congrats on your Advanced victory are in order Louis!  Well done.

Congrats are in order to Derek Barry as well, he managed to win the KOI flyoff, and Tom Morris escaped from the confines of his store long enough to win Intermediate.

I couldn't go, as 1) the wife is 8 months pregnant, and 2), even if she wasn't, the new KOI date conflicts with the public schools spring break (at least here in central Virginia), and family vacations (as far away from stunt contests as possible when my wife has anything to do with it(!!). mw~  At any rate, it was difficult for me to get down there this time.  I tried to instigate some of the other VA guys to go, but the long winter layoff meant alot of guys felt too rusty to drive 12 hours to get creamed by the Florida guys that have been flying all winter.  Hopefully we'll have all our respective issues sorted out by Marietta.

Steve
Steve

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 09:03:27 AM »
What Louis said...great event Bill and the X47ers...had a great time..be there next year.

Hope to see many of you at the Lake Wales Fly-In when we get a date set.

Phil

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 09:58:34 AM »
Glad to hear the KOI was a success, wish I coulda been there!  It's always a good time when I do get to go.

Congrats on your win, Louis!   Hope to see you (and Jim) soon!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Zuriel Armstrong

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 04:39:40 PM »
Thanks to Louis I almost felt as though I was there.  He was "NICE ENOUGH" >:D to call me from the flight line to let me know how it was going.  Great to have good friends.

Congratulations Lou for winning advanced and winning the high point award.

Nice finish on the Oriental too!!!

Zuriel Armstrong
AMA 20932

Offline Richard Fleming

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 06:58:33 PM »
Thanks to Louis I almost felt as though I was there.  He was "NICE ENOUGH" >:D to call me from the flight line to let me know how it was going.  Great to have good friends.

Congratulations Lou for winning advanced and winning the high point award.

Nice finish on the Oriental too!!!

Louis, It was nice meeting you and you did a fantastic job moncoting the Oriental, I really thought it was silkspan and dope! Richard n~
AMA 83080
AHRMA 9827

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 08:53:57 PM »
Everyone, thanks for the love; however, there were much better fliers and much better looking planes at the KOI than me and mine.  Hopefully someone will start posting some pics.
Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 05:16:39 PM »
Hmmmmm,

Maybe I will be able to make the next KOI.  Had to work during this one unfortunately.  Everyone at the Nats needs to watch out for Derek.  He is flat good and getting better!  There is no doubt he'll be in the Top 5 no matter who is flying!

Jim Pollock   ;D

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 05:34:27 PM »
Hmmmmm,

Maybe I will be able to make the next KOI.  Had to work during this one unfortunately.  Everyone at the Nats needs to watch out for Derek.  He is flat good and getting better!  There is no doubt he'll be in the Top 5 no matter who is flying!

Jim Pollock   ;D

Well, Derek DID finish 14th overall in the World when he was the Junior Champion! ;D  He had to do like a lot of us and deal with life for a few years.  Now it looks like he is serious (as serious as Derek can get! LOL!!) again. 

Everyone had also better watch out when Robbie Gruber (in College now), and Todd Lee (being a new Daddy now) get back on track.  They are better than a lot of people think.... y1  Then Kevin Stewart is gonna make a come back sometime!  Several "younger" guys out there who are in "Open" now, or will be when they get back.  There are some Juniors and Seniors who are very talented also.   Gotta remember, the top guys now are not in their "30s" anymore!! (or '40s, or '50s in some cases)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Roger Vizioli

• CLiner
  • 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: KING ORANGE another pic
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 06:52:56 PM »
Lou Rankin's Oriental, Bud Weider's Cavalier at the 2007 KOI.
Roger
Roger Vizioli
AMA L-2408
Florida/Space Coast

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 09:18:03 PM »
KOI  2007  was  a  great time  good weather  and  all seemed  to  have  a  great time, here is picture of Josias Delgado  and
the  2007 winner Bill Rich
and the  2007  KOI perpetual cup winner  Derek Barry.

Pic below is Stan Powell with Gene Martine launching

below that is a shot of Bill Rich going into a square
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:57:32 PM by RandySmith »

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Re: KING ORANGE another pic
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 10:01:08 AM »
Lou Rankin's Oriental, Bud Weider's Cavalier at the 2007 KOI.
Roger

WOW Louis can really work that monokote!!! Great job Louis.

You need to put a video together on how you do such a great job. I would buy the first copy!

Paul
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 10:22:32 AM »
GREAT PHOTOS OF THE BIG ORANGE...AND ROOTBUD! WHAT A FUN U-TUBER!!!!

(bye the way....love that musical background Where can I find that piece of music?)
What a fun relaxing little movie...only thing that scared me a bit was that danglin' run-away strap! One day while flying I saw one of our old flyin' bud Jimbo Parsons had forgotten to slip on that run-a-way strap...On his reverse wing over...that strap flapped his hat off...and a few moments later....that strap flapped his sunglasses off...and before that flight fright was over..that silly little strap had wound itself around his hand and flying lines, reducing the line spacing considerably.
We were all laughin and hootin from outside the circle as James flew out the rest of his tank with level laps...and even in all that high wind that we were flying in that afternoon...He managed a perfectly smoooooooooooooooth greased landing.

Don Shultz

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 12:10:20 PM »
GREAT PHOTOS OF THE BIG ORANGE...AND ROOTBUD! WHAT A FUN U-TUBER!!!!

(bye the way....love that musical background Where can I find that piece of music?)
What a fun relaxing little movie...only thing that scared me a bit was that danglin' run-away strap! One day while flying I saw one of our old flyin' bud Jimbo Parsons had forgotten to slip on that run-a-way strap...On his reverse wing over...that strap flapped his hat off...and a few moments later....that strap flapped his sunglasses off...and before that flight fright was over..that silly little strap had wound itself around his hand and flying lines, reducing the line spacing considerably.
We were all laughin and hootin from outside the circle as James flew out the rest of his tank with level laps...and even in all that high wind that we were flying in that afternoon...He managed a perfectly smoooooooooooooooth greased landing.

Don, Glad you like the slide show. That was last year with my Cheezehead buddies out on the in-laws farm. Can wait until we get together this summer. It started with just 3 flyers and has grown one or two each year for the past 3 years. Not sure what the name of the song is, but we found the CD in a little shop in Hot Springs Ar. As for the hanging strap(aka thong) n1. We were teaching one of the kids to fly. It was a hand off of the handle. My son Ryan was at his side and took the handle when he got dizzy. As you can tell by the grin on his face he had a blast. Even if he did let go, we were out in the middle of a farm. The plane would have ran out of fuel before it hit anything. Cow, tractor, or barn.
We always use a thong.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 12:23:37 PM »
Gads...My son is also named Ryan! WOW! NO WONDER I LIKE THE SONG SO MUCH! I WAS BORN IN THE OZARKS!
If you recall the CD....send me the info.  What a great song to fly kite choro with! Wow!
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 12:36:51 PM »
  Derek looks much too well rested and alert in that photo.  That happens when you don't go bar hopping Saturday night! n~  Its a dangerous precedent and must be stopped! y1

It's all another side effect of the date change.  Without playoff football on the TV in the bar, like it was on the usual January date,  its probably dead and not worth hanging out there, causing people to actually go back to their room and rest.....
  Thats a cool picture of Bill Rich's SV pitching into the vertical!

Steve
Steve

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 03:36:05 PM »
Here are some pics from the KOI. No text, you figure them out.
Blessings
Allen

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2007, 03:59:52 PM »
WEll, the red and blue Noblers belong to Bob Dixon and his Lady friend (sorry I only met her briefly and can't remember her name!

Bill Rich looks like he's doing great!  (didn't know he had a "new" SV-11??)

Is that "Genie Martini's" Excel??

Boy, Stan's startng to look OLD with that Impact!  LL~ (love ya, Stan)

Others I can't really ID.....

Bill <><.

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 05:51:47 PM »
And the green circles....

Phil

Offline Phil Coopy

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 06:00:39 PM »
More green circles

Phil

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 09:03:54 AM »
Dale Berry sent me a few pictures to post.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here