News:

• March 28, 2024, 01:33:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: K&B PLUGS  (Read 2136 times)

Offline bob whitney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
K&B PLUGS
« on: February 21, 2022, 02:16:07 PM »
what is the best K&B glo plug for stunt
rad racer

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: K&B PLUGS
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 03:26:36 PM »
  I have used the Long Reach w/Idle Bar before I switched to Glow Devils, mainly because they were easier to get at the time. I think the GDs were bit cheaper then also.  If you have access then, it would be worth trying a Standard Long, given the situation with glow plugs these days.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 05:05:34 PM »
Yeah; Randy at Mecoa has lost it and wants $20 a plug so no K&B plugs for me. I get all my plugs (Except Nelson type) from "Mike Goes Flying" Best price, best service. He sells all the Thunderbolt plugs and others. In my stunt planes I use the standard Thunderbolt long reach or the idle bar long reach. Many use the Sonic Tronics plugs, and Sig still has both std and idle bar long reach.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 05:32:05 PM »
               Mike at Mike Goes Flying will not be providing plugs any time soon. As of Friday the e-mail I received from him was that he wasn't going to put out 100K for the needed wire to make them. He stated that Randy at Mecoa provides a good explanation on his website. He also said the other raw materials to make the plugs have become harder to get and more money. He didn't sound positive in getting back into the plug making business unfortunately.

As for Sonic Tronics, he stated on the website that no plugs are going to be made . They were out of stock but I see some plugs that show in stock

Offline Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 05:33:06 PM »
 Sig RC long P003 and Thunder Bolt RC long are the best plus I found for stunt that will run a 4-2-4 break with out loading up.
Al

Online Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2022, 10:31:05 AM »
You shouldn't be surprised that someone who wants $30 for a Fox 35 nva would want $20 for a K&B plug. Especially considering that he probably got the nva's for next to nothing.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 09:43:24 PM »
Man, you guys are scaring me. Are we seeing the end of glow power coming at a freight train pace? And I picked up adapters for my Cox and Norvel engines just so I could use K&B/Mecoa 1Ls. Looks like that was wasted $$!

Offline George Grossardt

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 06:36:03 AM »
So can we discuss we we CAN get plugs? 

Online Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 08:31:49 AM »
This topic reminded me of a box of plugs I found at a swap meet many years ago.
They were made by Allyn which was somehow connected with K&B.
Called the "Wonder Element Glow Plug", it is long reach and has a recessed element in the shape of a squared off "W", as seen on the box.
Anyone know about these?

Bob Z.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 08:59:25 AM »
This topic reminded me of a box of plugs I found at a swap meet many years ago.
They were made by Allyn which was somehow connected with K&B.
Called the "Wonder Element Glow Plug", it is long reach and has a recessed element in the shape of a squared off "W", as seen on the box.
Anyone know about these?

Bob Z.

I don't know about those, but Cox also put out .049 plugs for a short while in the shape of a W also. Odd coincidence??

Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2022, 09:11:09 AM »
the W plug came stock in the K&B Allyn Sky Fury .049 and  .074 as a complete glo head and worked very good .never seemed to catch on as a standard plug. K&B bought Allyn about that time ,they had a complete line of 1/2 A outboard and airplane motors
rad racer

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2022, 09:45:36 AM »
check classified
rad racer

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2022, 11:42:18 AM »
check classified   

I checked, nothing there.  Is there someplace else I should be looking?

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2022, 01:26:11 PM »
I sold them to early. I had a stash of k b idle bar long and glo devil. I sold them too cheap. $6.00 each. oh well.

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 01:54:09 AM »
The February price for one ounce of Rhodium was $16,850.00.  That is for ONE ounce!  Platinum was $1,078.83 per ounce. So, what is in your plugs?   The "expensive" K&B plugs use Rhodium.
[/quote
Sure.....Most glow plug manufacturers use a combination of Platinum/Rhodium wire for the plug element (80/20 being the most common). The Platinum is there because it reacts chemically with methanol and creates heat. The Rhodium is there to make the wire stronger and less brittle. I doubt that Mecoa's K&B plugs have any more Rhodium in them than anyone else. Always thought McCoy plugs were as good or better and they (along with 90% of all the other brands) were made by O & R. Randy at Mecoa has a very poor business model and I think isn't really interested in producing a lot of anything. At any rate there are as good or better plugs available for less money. Current price of a Nelson or AAA "Nelson Type" plug is $8, Many "turbo" types for $8-$14, and if you must run 1/4" 32 type, You can get them from Sig, OS, Rossi, Etc.
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 05:48:13 AM »
  . At any rate there are as good or better plugs available for less money. Current price of a Nelson or AAA "Nelson Type" plug is $8, Many "turbo" types for $8-$14 

So, do they make a "hot" plug like we need and where do we order them from?

Online Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2022, 07:12:12 AM »
The February price for one ounce of Rhodium was $16,850.00.  That is for ONE ounce!  Platinum was $1,078.83 per ounce. So, what is in your plugs?   The "expensive" K&B plugs use Rhodium.

So how many plugs per ounce of metal? 
Paul Smith

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2022, 11:15:22 AM »
So, do they make a "hot" plug like we need and where do we order them from?
You left off the last part;
                  Sig sells idle bar and std long reach plugs. OS (LC-3), Traxis, Pro-Tek, SH, and Rossi all have have several different heat ranges. They are available on line from many different retailers like:https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=Glow+plugs.
They are more than they used to be (what isn't?) but they are not $20.00
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2022, 08:06:00 PM »
  You left off the last part;
                  Sig sells idle bar and std long reach plugs. OS (LC-3), Traxis, Pro-Tek, SH, and Rossi all have have several different heat ranges. They are available on line from many different retailers like:https://www.amainhobbies.com/search?s=Glow+plugs.
They are more than they used to be (what isn't?) but they are not $20.00 

Thanks!  But you also mentioned Nelson and AAA "Nelson type" plugs.  Where do I find those?

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2022, 08:40:00 PM »
Thanks!  But you also mentioned Nelson and AAA "Nelson type" plugs.  Where do I find those?
They don't make 1/4"-32 plugs. I was just pointing out that they are high performance plugs that use just as much wire to make and they sell for $8 right now.(they were $5 before the wire price increase) If you actually want Nelson type plugs (11/32"-32 thread/taper seat) you can buy them from MBS Model supply or directly from Nelson. The AAA "Nelson type" plugs are available rom AAA or Bill Maywald on the MACA forum on FB
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2022, 06:22:18 AM »
  They don't make 1/4"-32 plugs. I was just pointing out that they are high performance plugs that use just as much wire to make and they sell for $8 right now.(they were $5 before the wire price increase) If you actually want Nelson type plugs (11/32"-32 thread/taper seat) you can buy them from MBS Model supply or directly from Nelson. The AAA "Nelson type" plugs are available rom AAA or Bill Maywald on the MACA forum on FB 

The Nelson and AAA "Nelson type" are used in the half-As with adaptor head?

Offline Reptoid

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2022, 12:07:28 PM »
The Nelson and AAA "Nelson type" are used in the half-As with adaptor head?
Yes.....and they are used in almost all high performance engines that don't use a "turbo" plug
Regards,
       Don
       AMA # 3882

Offline De Hill

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2022, 02:06:53 PM »
Glo Plug Story:

At a long ago VSC, Wild Bill Netzeband once told me this story.

While he was head of engineering at Testor's, he experimented with different metals for glo plug elements.
He discovered that pure Nickle worked great as a filament, and lasted a long time. . He was using fuel that came out of a glass jar. When he ran fuel out of a metal container, the Nickle element failed quickly.
Wild Bill thought that the fuel reacted with the solder joints of the fuel tank and created a mixture that caused the Nickle element to fail.

It makes for a good story!
De Hill

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2022, 05:13:27 PM »
Only "AAA" I've ever heard of is a rip-off auto insurance for road-side service. Is there another, like "AMA"?  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 05:34:55 PM »
So how many plugs per ounce of metal?

Motorman 8)

Advertise Here
Tags: plugs 

Advertise Here