News:

• April 28, 2024, 11:08:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: VSC 2006  (Read 6275 times)

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
VSC 2006
« on: March 18, 2006, 10:34:48 PM »
 Hi All the tp 10 at  VSC in classic  this  year

1. Bill Werwage   Ares Aero Tiger 36
2. Bob Hunt   Caprice  Aero Tiger 36
3. Ted Fancher    Ruffy  Rustler
4. Paul Walker  Slylark  McCoy Red head
5. Mashuri Hiki  Nobler
6. Richard Oliver   JD Falcon RO ?
7. Frank McMillan   Vulcan   Aero Tiger 36
8. Keith Trostle  Bear cat   Jett 50
9. Bob McDonald  Ares  Aero Tiger 36
10. Bob Whitely  Nobler Aero Tiger 36

A little  windy  but  all in all  very nice  weather  all  weeek

Regards

Randy

« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 11:01:00 AM by RandySmith »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: VSC 2006
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 05:15:53 PM »
Hi Randy,
Thanks for the breakdown on plane/engine used.  Always nice to see what everyone is flying.
Justr waiting to see Billy show up one day with one of the original USA-1s for VSC!  ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 10:21:32 PM »
Bill,

Well, I can say that mine was a Cobra with an absolutely surpurb PA 40RE Lite. Ran perfectly all week. Shame the plane need a major rework. I have to cut in to put a hatch in so I can actually adjust the control system. And a plastic tank a spinner will help the nose heavy condition.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Greg Howie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 03:46:01 AM »
That is not just any mc coy red head that was a T&L 40. far better that stock.

I stand corrected. I got some bad info sorry , I heard different.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 01:23:46 AM by stringjobs »
Oh ....I see ,you mean the ones on a string ?

Greg Howie

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 10:24:07 AM »
That is not just any mc coy red head that was a T&L 40. far better that stock.

HUh  Frank McMillan  told me it was  on e of  his?

Randy

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 01:26:52 PM »
I have a T&L 40 that is an OS Max 35 S lower end and a Tigre 46 top end. Paul has one too. Was this what he was running?
Chris...

Online Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 05:57:48 PM »
NO, not a T&L 40.  I do have one of those though.

I used the engine Frank gave me.  Prepared by George himself!  McCoy 35.

It ran rather nicely I thought.

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 09:05:14 PM »
  Paul, I admire you and the others who run Classic engines in the classic planes at VSC. 
  I especially hate those who are raping the event by running rear exhaust late model engines.  It is a cyying shame that they think that they have to do that to win.
  I don't mind their using late model engines as long as they are side exhaust like they were back in that era.
  My hat is off to you  and the others who are holding to the tradition.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 09:16:52 PM »
Big Iron

I will remind  people that rear ex engines have been used by many for about 40 years  now.
Also the World Championship  was won  by a  rear ex engine  back in the  60s.
And in my opinion ,no one is trying to  or  is  raping the  event

Regards

Randy Smith

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 10:51:59 AM »
  Randy, with all due respect, I have not seen one (and I was flying back then) and have not seen any valid pictures of any used back then.
 My feelings and opinion still stands.

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 02:43:17 PM »
HI Marvin
 You and everyone else has every right to an opinion about how  Classic should be run. I actually agree with you , if you could get the  rules  to state this.
 The  BIG problem is  that there is  NO  rules  against what people think of  as  sacrilege in the event. IE: CF props ABC AAC motors, Carbon landing gear and  bellcranks  and  so on etc.
So unless a  rules  change  is  done all of this  including  Electric  motors  and Rear Exhaust motors  are  perfectly legal. There are  NO rules  against it.
I might add it will be  very  hard for  everyone building to find an old  vintage   motor.
Then you have the other  side, which states this is  all about fun, and  keeping as  many people showing up with the older  planes to keep this event healthy, and  it doesn't matter what they use for power, or  what materials are used. And that they want an engine that will start well and  pull the airplane. I am sure if we limited everyaspect of the older planes  to exactly  what we had to use back then  you would  see  a   very  very  serious  DECLINE  in participation.

I will close  by adding the  fact that ,Juri Sirotkin was 2nd. at '62 World Champs,  and used a   rear exhaust MVVS 5.6  stunt engine.
I also know of others, and  I am quite sure that AL Rabe  had his classic planes using rear exhaust.

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 08:43:21 PM »

I agree. At least as long as the plane is a vintage design, everything else like motors and cf gear are acceptable.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Marvin Denny

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 08:54:33 PM »
  Randy, as I said, I have NO problem with people using the more modern powerplants as long as they are SIDE EXHAUST, as the vast majorioy of engines were back then. 
 You as well as I know that the modern engines vibrate far less than the older ones and so the planes can be built much lighter with less reinforcement and bracing. I think that  that fact alone ought to be enough, but there are those who THINK it is in the spirit to use the latest technology JUST because the rules do not say they CANNOT do it.
  My view on this is the inverse---  If the dules do not say you CAN do something, then it means that you can't. (this philosophy has served me well throughout life).
  Hope to see you at Brodaks.  I am going to try to make it again this year.

Bigiron

Bigiron
marvin Denny  AMA  499

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 01:23:31 PM »
For me an important point is that I like my Classic plane to look as nearly possible like the original. Most Classic models did use side exhaust engines, but had no silencer stuck on the side. Using a rear mounted silencer enables you to keep this look and I have no problem with this.
Incidentally, I'm not too sure about Sirotkin's '62 model being rear exhaust. It may have been the classic side exhaust/rear intake 5.6, as used by Gabris.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 01:33:20 PM »
Randy has hit a very important point. We are all doing what turns us on, and it's slightly different for each individual. I know what I want to do and it's not necessarily identical with what someone else feels is right.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 04:01:28 PM »
Me? I'm just happy that there is a lot of interest in the Classic planes, and that we have a class to fly them in.  I started flying in 1963, so I didn't get to build a whole lot of my favorite planes back then, much less ever get to a contest before 1970.  I go with both types of engines in my planes.  Everything from Fox 35 to AT 36. 
I can say that I do like the appearance of the rear exhaust planes better than the same plane with a side exhaust and a muffler sticking out.  I just don't remember the planes back then having mufflers.  I know some probably did, but none that I saw.

As to Josef Gabris and Yuri Sirotkin, they did use a 5.6 MVVS engine.  IIRC, there were 19 or 20 of them made, all RISE.  Peter White sent me an engine test done a couple years after their peak (it took a while for the reviewer to get one), and there are several pictures in the article.  I have been trying to buy an example for several years now.  Actually, there was a "stock" version (not the factory special) that looks the same externally.  Ian Russell offered me one last year, but I didn't have the money at the time.  Getting one of the actual factory team engines is well out of my reach.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 05:02:59 PM »
For me an important point is that I like my Classic plane to look as nearly possible like the original. Most Classic models did use side exhaust engines, but had no silencer stuck on the side. Using a rear mounted silencer enables you to keep this look and I have no problem with this.
Incidentally, I'm not too sure about Sirotkin's '62 model being rear exhaust. It may have been the classic side exhaust/rear intake 5.6, as used by Gabris.

Hi Ian

You maybe correct. I have  a plan  of the plane  that  says  rear  ex   engine, so I could be mistaken, However it doesn't  matter  as  my  only point about this  was  there  was  rear  ex  planes   flying in the classic  period.
Al Rabe  used  rear  exhaust  on some of his  classic  planes. And there  were  others,  so they  did  exist.
I think we should  do whatever  to encourage  the  growth  of the event.

Regards
Randy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2006, 05:09:15 PM »
Hi Ian

You maybe correct. I have  a plan  of the plane  that  says  rear  ex   engine, so I could be mistaken, However it doesn't  matter  as  my  only point about this  was  there  was  rear  ex  planes   flying in the classic  period.
Al Rabe  used  rear  exhaust  on some of his  classic  planes. And there  were  others,  so they  did  exist.
I think we should  do whatever  to encourage  the  growth  of the event.
Regards
Randy

I totally agree. 
What ever turns you on to Classic is ok with me.  I love seeing the Classic planes flying no matter what engine is used.
BTW: Al's exhaust systems gave those planes such a clean, scalelike appearance that just added to the whole package.  ;)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2006, 09:55:05 PM »
Randy - your plan which says "rear exhaust" - very interesting. Scope for the serious historians among us to do a little research here. Do you know the origin of your plan?
Ian Russell.

Offline Old Sourdough

• New Pilot
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2006, 01:34:42 AM »
. . . Al Rabe  used  rear  exhaust  on some of his  classic  planes. And there  were  others,  so they  did  exist. . . .

Randy,

You're much more knowledgeable about the event than I.  I would ask, though, whether (and how) Al had the ST .46's he used in the first (Classic) Mustangs and Bearcats converted to rear exhaust. 

While I like and use my "Classic" engines, I have no problem with more modern power plants being used in Classic events on classic planes.  Let's all just put an FP-20 (with BBTU, of course) on a Flite Streak or Ringmaster and go fly.

Paul
The Old Sourdough

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2006, 02:23:08 AM »
Randy,

You're much more knowledgeable about the event than I.  I would ask, though, whether (and how) Al had the ST .46's he used in the first (Classic) Mustangs and Bearcats converted to rear exhaust. 

While I like and use my "Classic" engines, I have no problem with more modern power plants being used in Classic events on classic planes.  Let's all just put an FP-20 (with BBTU, of course) on a Flite Streak or Ringmaster and go fly.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I saw the exhaust header/muffler  Al Rabe sent to "Papa" Dave Hemstraught for him to use in the Rabe Mustang Dave built.  Best way to describe it wa a "wrap around" that is totally enclosed.  I don't know if Al actually converted converted  any engines to a rear exhaust configuration, but he did turn them into rear "outlet" exhaust with his headers.   Can't tell the difference looking at the plane.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Old Sourdough

• New Pilot
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2006, 02:56:15 AM »
Hi Paul,

I saw the exhaust header/muffler  Al Rabe sent to "Papa" Dave Hemstraught for him to use in the Rabe Mustang Dave built.  Best way to describe it wa a "wrap around" that is totally enclosed.  I don't know if Al actually converted converted  any engines to a rear exhaust configuration, but he did turn them into rear "outlet" exhaust with his headers.   Can't tell the difference looking at the plane.

Yep, Bill,

I knew about the "wraparound" ehaust systems that Al used, but the engines were still side exhaust, no?

Paul
The Old Sourdough

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2006, 07:54:04 AM »
I suppose a Fox 35 converted to rear exhaust, as per the article reprinted in Stunt News sometime back,  would be of interest. :o

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2006, 10:43:29 AM »
I suppose a Fox 35 converted to rear exhaust, as per the article reprinted in Stunt News sometime back,  would be of interest. :o

Yes, it would.

Greg
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2006, 12:50:57 PM »
Hi Paul,
The ones I have seen were still side exhaust engines.  But since they are totally inclosed, it is hard to tell if any rear exhaust "cases" were in use.  Al  has told me of a .60 he had made for him, but he didn't say as to whether it was rear exhaust or not.

I find it fascinating that there were some engines being used that I had no previous knowledge of.  Bored and stroked ST 46s, OS MAX 35S cases with
ST 46 sleeve/piston installed, ST 29 case/ST 46s, etc., etc., and that all is very interesting to me.  I think It was Mr. Werwage (??) who told me of some ST 46s that he had the Aloise Brothers (sp) who were speed guys turn them into something around a 51.  More power out of smaller engines! 

and the European engines are a whole 'nother story!

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2006, 07:42:23 PM »
Hi Paul,

Hi

He made a rear exhaust extention to the  case, that made the engines  rear  exhaust, as did  some  people with OS Max 35s  and  also  some of the Factories  had  parts you could buy to make the engines  rear ex. Super Tiger  and  OS  had  these  parts. I still have  one  of  each

Regards
Randy

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2006, 09:25:34 PM »
I'm with Ian. Sorry, Big. I've seen & heard PW's Skylark fly with a Mac .40 (that one was a T&L, I'm pretty certain), no muffler. It was some years ago, but I remember very well. Wow, was it LOUD! In the right circumstances, that's fun, but on the whole, it's doing us no good in the PR department. Would a fake side exhaust stack be ok?  ;D  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 10:11:44 AM »
I remember some years back while attending a school in Dallas and going to what is now Hobby Park field, there was a gentleman that showed me the rear exhaust Fox 35 Stunt he was working on.  Made for very little mess to clean up and was running with authority.  Can't remember his name, but, he was selling an item called sanding wands back then.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2006, 11:58:44 AM »

There have been several comments in this thread about conversions of the Fox 35 to rear exhaust.  There was an article in Model Aviation, Nov 75, by Rodney Pharis.  The article showed the changes he made to the Fox 35 case by cutting off portions of the exhaust stack, then welding an aluminum deflector plate and an aluminum tube to create the rear exhaust outlet.  (Not a job for one with no experience with welding high-silocon aluminum castings.  According to Rod, "Aside from this major detail, the rest is easy.")

I believe this is the article that was reprinted in Stunt News several years ago.  I would have to go into my files to find that Stunt News issue.

Keith

Offline dirty dan

• Commander
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2006, 12:13:35 PM »
I think It was Mr. Werwage (??) who told me of some ST 46s that he had the Aloise Brothers (sp) who were speed guys turn them into something around a 51.  More power out of smaller engines! 

Bill,

I hope someone is taking notes...

My recollection is that Carlos Aloise and his father were a team.

Their primary interest was CL Carrier.

They did build some Stunt engines. Years ago I had an ST46 done by Carlos. Don't throw stones, but I never ran it, sold it to an RC buddy who wanted a fairly light torquer. He installed a carb and muffler, flew it low-and-slow for years...

There was also an effort from the Aloise family to build event-specific "specials." Mostly they proved how difficult is a business such as Henry has built and made successful.

Dan

Dan Rutherford

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 07:17:17 PM »
I think It was Mr. Werwage (??) who told me of some ST 46s that he had the Aloise Brothers (sp) who were speed guys turn them into something around a 51.  More power out of smaller engines! 

Bill,

I hope someone is taking notes...

My recollection is that Carlos Aloise and his father were a team.

Their primary interest was CL Carrier.

They did build some Stunt engines. Years ago I had an ST46 done by Carlos. Don't throw stones, but I never ran it, sold it to an RC buddy who wanted a fairly light torquer. He installed a carb and muffler, flew it low-and-slow for years...

There was also an effort from the Aloise family to build event-specific "specials." Mostly they proved how difficult is a business such as Henry has built and made successful.

Dan

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the correction on the Aloise "family" as being father and son.   I didn't know.  But I had heard the name quite a bit back in the day and  I understand they did real good work, especially in "changing" displacement, etc..

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 07:30:24 PM »
  Excuse me for my ignorance,  I see  the Aero Tigre 36 was used in 5 of the top ten spots. Is the Aero Tigre a stand along motor design or a modified Chineese/Taiwaneese motor?  I assume it is a highly ranked motor. Are people using it in the PA events?

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 08:27:30 PM »
  Excuse me for my ignorance,  I see  the Aero Tigre 36 was used in 5 of the top ten spots. Is the Aero Tigre a stand along motor design or a modified Chineese/Taiwaneese motor?  I assume it is a highly ranked motor. Are people using it in the PA events?

Hi Mike,

The Aero Tiger is a highly reworked Thunder Tiger 36 done by Randy Smith.  New AAC sleeve/piston, and not sure what else he does to them, but I know mine run flawlessly.  Don't have A PA ultralite 40 yet, but the Aero Tiger 36 is about as good as it gets.  Still a 4-2 run but you canuse a lower pitch prop and it will easily swing the 11" props Randy recommends for them.

I have seen them in PAMPA planes, but since the upper level flyers are basically using airplanes in the 650-700 sq. in . range, and are using pipes, the AE 36 isn't as popular in that arena.

There are plenty of good engines being made today.  And many being rewroked by real good engine men, but for the "Classic" airplanes out there you can't find much better, if any, engine IMHO.  I believe the fact that Mr.s Werwage, Hunt, McMillian, McDonald, Whitely, and many more are a testiment to that.

Got to get one of the PA ultralite 40s now and see just what they do!  ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2006, 12:09:12 PM »
Bill,

The PA 40 Merlin is very cool in a 4-2-4 configuration. You'll like it.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2006, 03:08:58 PM »
How would it be if we had to use vintage paint? Say stuff that had been in the can since way back then. And fuel too.

I have a Legacy that I am putting away now. I will save it engine and all plus 20 gals of fuel and my glow starter. And handle and lines. I figure someday (say forty years from now) that Legacy will qualify as a classic or old time model. Since it will have been saved intact for 40 years it will be 100% in compliance with the rules of the day.
I will only be a hundred and one years old. Shoot, I myself will also be in compliance.

Any body with me on this? ;D ;D ;D
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2006, 07:18:19 PM »
How would it be if we had to use vintage paint? Say stuff that had been in the can since way back then. And fuel too.

I have a Legacy that I am putting away now. I will save it engine and all plus 20 gals of fuel and my glow starter. And handle and lines. I figure someday (say forty years from now) that Legacy will qualify as a classic or old time model. Since it will have been saved intact for 40 years it will be 100% in compliance with the rules of the day.
I will only be a hundred and one years old. Shoot, I myself will also be in compliance.

Any body with me on this? ;D ;D ;D

Well............. I found soem 40 year old fuel (no kidding), I have a 43 year old Smoothie (still flyable) with the original engine, plus I have a set of lines and an EZ Just from back then.  So............................
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2006, 07:39:52 PM »
You're in like Flint Bill. How's the fuel? Is it missile mist?
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2006, 08:49:39 PM »
You're in like Flint Bill. How's the fuel? Is it missile mist?

K&B 100!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2006, 09:29:56 PM »
K&B  100  is  very lame  fuel  LOL

Randy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2006, 09:46:58 PM »
K&B  100  is  very lame  fuel  LOL

Randy

HAHAHAHAA!!  I think all that's left in the gallon can is castor!  Can is in good shape, though.  x:
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2006, 06:53:30 AM »
After many years in storage, I opened my can of Supersonic 1000 K&B fuel. It smelled like old varnish, poured and looked like old varnish. Heck, it turned into varnish. I tossed it. lol

I'm saving the can!  It is clean and rust free.   y1  x:
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here