News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:07:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just how many different Ringmasters are there???  (Read 9867 times)

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Just how many different Ringmasters are there???
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2022, 04:25:56 PM »
NOPE!!!
I used a pusher prop.
Since the prop would not clear the ground with the conventional landing gear system, I decided to raise the tail by adding two longer tailwheels, one on each boom. HOWEVER, without thinking, I added two longer tailwheels BUT, I made them a bit TOO LONG. The plane set at a slight negative angle of attack. Guess what - a symmetric airfoil develops ZERO lift in that configuration.
Result? A four minute run on the ground! It was a car with wings.
Easy solution. I bent the two new landing gears back just enough the get a slight angle of attack. The prop cleared by about a quarter inch but the bird got airborne and flew beautifully.
It was very responsive due to the fact that the prop blast was directly on the empennage and not disturbed by the wing.
Banjock implemented the idea on a semi-scale biplane that flew quite well but pissed me off.

Now you know the rest of the story!
Bob Z.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Just how many different Ringmasters are there???
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2022, 05:14:52 PM »
Wow...without that explanation, I was imagining the plane became a canard flying in the opposite direction because the prop rotated backwards! I had that happen on a Cox-engined plane as a kid. Prop strike bounced it backwards during a really bad "landing." The second "landing" produced a spare engine (minus the plane) in about two feet! LL~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here