News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:25:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just got a new toy! Here's something historic...  (Read 14209 times)

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: Just got a new toy! Here's something historic...
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2024, 07:46:54 PM »
LOL! Hi Phil: When it comes to comparing scars you better have more than that inch and quarter slit. I have a beauty on my right leg from a very serious sledding accident when I was 14 (running into a frozen-in-the-ground, ragged water cutoff pipe at 30 MPH can fillet your leg pretty quickly). But, hey, I'm game if you are... n~ n~

I loved hanging out at Warren's. You guys really have a great group there. I was treated like a king, and the best part was being introduced to Tri-Tip steak! Don't have that where I live.

Glad to call all you guys friends. Now, be careful with that knife; unless you get really serious with it you don't have a chance in our scars competition.

Later - Bob                   
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 12:54:16 AM by Bob Hunt »

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2024, 01:02:09 AM »
Couldn't sleep so I figured I'd add another photo to the pile. This one was taken at the BBQ my dad threw after a contest in the late 1960s. It's Mark Tiefau with his Nobler and the trophy he won that day in Junior Stunt. Mark was an up and coming flier on the East Coast and a fixture at all the contests. He had other interests in life that won out over Stunt flying. He was also an accomplished RC Pattern flier and a prodigy pianist. I was stunned when I heard him play. He was very close with his father and they always showed up together. Incredibly nice people. I think Mark would have excelled at anything he tried. He pushed himself very hard.

Later - Bob

PS: I have not been in contact with Mark since 1985 when we flew together at the Nats in RC Pattern competition. So, I did a search for him on Google and found a video that he wrote, produced, video taped and in which he did all the music. I'm throwing that link in here now. Told ya' he was talented. I didn't know that he also played guitar. But, hey, he's aged a bit; that doesn't happen to us does it...?  n~ n~  Here's the link:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 05:27:59 AM by Bob Hunt »

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2024, 05:46:59 AM »
Time for some Panthers...

The first photo was taken at the 1967 or '68 GSCB Fall meet. I have no clue as to who the gentleman is holding that really nice Kenhi Panther. Perhaps someone might recognize him and enlighten us. The turnout for those GSCB meets was huge back in the day, and many traveled from neighboring states to attend. I'm thinking that is the case here as I pretty much remember all the "regulars" at those meets.

The second photo is the uncovered bones of my Midwest version Panther (C-Tube wing with leading edge planking). That ship never did reach fruition, but I can't remember why. Just as a historical note, Bob Whitely won the very first Vintage Stunt Championships Classic Stunt crown flying a Panther, but I'm pretty sure his was the Kenhi version with the turbulator leading edge strips. Again, perhaps someone who was there in 1989 (I started going in 1990, and then attended 22 of them!) can report for sure which version Bob flew that year.

More later - Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2024, 07:22:52 AM »
Found one more of my flying buddy/Best Man Bill Simons. This one was taken at the 1974 Nats in Lake Charles. Bill placed fourth that year with his ST .46 powered ship. It had a killer corner!

More later - Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2024, 10:55:46 AM »
Found this one in the box of slides. My son, Robby learned the pattern on a Hole Shot in less than a week, and then he needed something with flaps. We built two RD-1 models, which were essentially foam winged Twisters with slight mods to the moments and the aesthetics. The original RD -1 was published in Flying Models magazine. The first RD-1 started our being powered by an Enya 30 SS. Great little engine (and long lasting...), but we opted to retrofit an OS 32 FSR, with reduced blow-down timing to allow for a steady 2-4 break. Robby and I (and Bill Werwage) flew the heck out of these things back in the early 1990s. Robby's next plane was the Europa, and then the Geo-Star.

The photo is of the second RD-1. It would still be a great choice for learning the pattern without investing too much time and money.

Later - Bob

« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 12:17:35 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Phil Hawkins

• Commander
  • 909 276 0283
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2024, 06:18:45 PM »
LOL! Hi Phil: When it comes to comparing scars you better have more than that inch and quarter slit.

Bob, I have a bent fork experience too! At age 24, I broadside a 1972 Chevelle at 35 mph on my 1979 Yamaha XT500 torque monster! I was pretty adept on a trampoline in HS, witnesses said it looked like an acrobatic performance! I landed on the top of my head, taking a gouge out of my week old orange Bell helmet (helmet law in California had just passed) that helmet saved my brain for sure. At 17, 19 & 24 I had motorcycle accidents that tore me up good! Years of chiropractic care followed. Now at 61, I am an arthritic mess. 30 years as a printing pressman, 15 as pest control tech, plus a few years in waterproofing, backyard mechanic since handing my dad wrenches since I was 5! Yes, brother we probably match many scars!
But hopefully,  next time, we can talk about the perfect control set up, the best ever hinges and how to line them up! Cloth. Stitched, various maker hinges... I'm still trying to get that pull on my handle feather light, having that ship dance like it's on rails!
Thanks for sharing all these pics & stories! I have spent every possible moment reading, thinking and reminiscing of my own passion for flying model airplanes, how it came to be, the endless drawing as a kid, all of it. The holidays tend to be that way, but this is great send into the new year. It is much appreciated! I have miles of 8mm B&W film... been wanting to something with it before it ends up in the dust bin.

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2024, 08:04:42 PM »
LOL! Hi Phil: When it comes to comparing scars you better have more than that inch and quarter slit. I have a beauty on my right leg from a very serious sledding accident when I was 14 (running into a frozen-in-the-ground, ragged water cutoff pipe at 30 MPH can fillet your leg pretty quickly). But, hey, I'm game if you are... n~ n~

I loved hanging out at Warren's. You guys really have a great group there. I was treated like a king, and the best part was being introduced to Tri-Tip steak! Don't have that where I live.

Glad to call all you guys friends. Now, be careful with that knife; unless you get really serious with it you don't have a chance in our scars competition.

Later - Bob                 

Bob I can assure you the pleasure was all mine, I wish you could make it back someday.

W.W.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2024, 08:39:07 PM »
Found this one in the box of slides. My son, Robby learned the pattern on a Hole Shot in less than a week, and then he needed something with flaps. We built two RD-1 models, which were essentially foam winged Twisters with slight mods to the moments and the aesthetics.

I guess a lot of people had the same idea. I forget who else told me they did it, but I also designed a foam-wing Twister, with a decent tail volume and different esthetics (and also paying attention to the Fancherized Twister idea of not breaking off the tail when it flipped over). This was for a bunch of guys flying down at Gilroy, named Gilroy Standard Stunter. I gave the plans and a set of cores to a guy down there, so he could build it under my direction and come up with a prototype. He had been around for a while do I figured he was fully engaged. Never saw him, or the plans, again! As far as I know the airplane was never built.

I note that I ALSO had the idea to take the same airplane, add some taper to the wing, and have an advanced trainer. Would have been just as easy to build as long as it used a foam wing.  I didn't do anything, and then a year or so later, someone showed up (again, at Gilroy) with a Prowler kit!

Brett

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2024, 08:59:06 AM »
Here's an interesting one. This was taken at the Far Hills NJ meet around 1952. I have no idea who this young man is, but the airplane was unique. Looks like  McCoy 60 for power.

Later - Bob

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2024, 09:25:12 AM »
Bob,

Thanks much for entertaining us with this tour of your past, I hope you don't run out of goodies soon. I look forward to your next post every time I go to SH.

The interesting thing that comes to mind here is he calls this model U2. Lockheed first introduced the U2 in 1953. The young fella was obviously impressed.

Steve

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2024, 01:46:32 PM »
Here's another one from the 1992 (I'm pretty sure...) VSC contest. That's Rusty Brown kneeling in the front with his rendition of Bill Netzeband's Fierce Arrow. Not sure who the gentleman is standing with his FA. If you look closely you will be able to see Ted Fancher flying his Chief in the background. Ted edged me out that year for the Classic title. I was flying my brand new Tucker Special.

More memories... - Bob

Holy Cow! Bubba!  How can you remember all these details when I can't remember what day it is!!

You da man!  The hobby is lucky to have you....in more ways than one; I might add.

Ted

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2024, 02:49:06 PM »
Just one more from the 1991 VSC contest. Here are the Chiefs... Not the guys holding the airplanes, but the design! That's Ted Fancher standing with his Chief and Mike Pratt kneeling with his. The Chief is one of my all time favorite airplanes, and these are two great examples.

Later - Bob

Hey Bob!  That Chief is hanging pretty  much over my head as I type this!  Sun doesn't reach it where it is (unlike a few others like the Ares I built and flew at the first ever VSC).  Pour some solvent into the engine, flip the prop a few hundred times and we could take it out and put in a few!!!

A Nats era judge at that VSC said he thought the Chief's flights would have been competitive at a Nats!!!  (Was that you, by the way???) 

Problem was it came in a lowly 3rd place (IIRC) cause I could never get the engine started in time to avoid an over run!!  One round or another someone (don't recall who) ran out to the circle as I was trying to beat the  "Chief era" engine to life (forgot which it was back back then) with no success and gave me some straight nitro to plop in the intake and that got it going.  Pretty embarrassing for a so called "Hot Shot" pilot of the era!!!!  Once airborne the Chief flew pretty darn good.  Came in 3rd IIRC despite the penalty for over runs.

Great memories!  (at least the memories I actually can remember!!!)

Thanks again...like everyone else I'm loving this thread.  You da' man, my friend!

Ted
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 03:08:47 PM by Ted Fancher »

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2024, 12:00:29 AM »
I have no idea who this young man is, but the airplane was unique.
Later - Bob

To say the least. Looks like he started building a school bus, then added wings, and named it...Denise.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2024, 11:27:35 AM »
I think the U2 is a grownup's plane and the kid is just getting his picture taken. To me the graphics are pretty fancy for the time period although anything is possible, especially considering the location.
This is a most excellent thread. Stunning photos of both well known and obscure planes and people.
A couple of years before Schultzie passed I sent him a box of slides from the late sixties and early seventies. He was going to do what you are doing here. You just know that box is around some where but, alas, I truly believe it's gone from us.
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2024, 11:42:38 AM »
Okay, I'm getting to the bottom of the barrel of the slides I've already scanned. And some of these were marred by some kind of spots on the film that I could not get rid of. I'll post them anyway, and then I'll set up and scan some more for the upcoming week.

The first of one I'm posting here is of my last 35-size Genesis (the 36 ounce one that Ted Fancher alway writes about), and the first 46-size Genesis, which was nicknamed the "Nuclear Banana" by my "friends"..." Note that the exhaust hole in the cowl is empty, so this photo was taken before the engine was installed. This was taken just before the Nats in 1974, outside the building in which I had my Control Specialties Company.

The second photo was taken of the Nuclear Banana just before a flight at the 1974 Lake Charles Nats. Bill Simons is holding for me, but his face is obstructed by Gene Schaffer who was looking on. We were pretty inseparable back then, and I have wonderful memories of our adventures together.

The last photo was taken at the 1974 Eastern States Championships that was held annually at the Johnsville Naval Air Station in Warminster, PA. Note the white pants and the pilot who had a lot of hair.  Woo boy have things changed... That was a very good flying airplane, and I sold it to Jimmy Casale when he needed a practice ship. Big mistake on my part...

Later - Bob

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2024, 05:06:01 PM »
A couple of years before Schultzie passed I sent him a box of slides from the late sixties and early seventies. He was going to do what you are doing here. You just know that box is around some where but, alas, I truly believe it's gone from us.

Would be great to track it down and send it to Bob.  S?P

Wayne Willey

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2024, 06:33:21 AM »
Would be great to track it down and send it to Bob.  S?P

That would be great, Wayne. Les and I have spoken about those slides a few times, but neither of us has contacted Don's relatives about it. I still have Don's phone number in my address book, so I'll give it a try, with Les' permission of course (they were, after all, his slides...).

I have found and scanned a few more old slides. And, a bunch of them were taken at the 1974 Nats in Lake Charles, LA. And, since we were talking about Les, let's start off with a photo of his last 35-size Stiletto. Les placed fifth that year, behind Bob Gieseke, Gene Schaffer, Al Rabe, and Bill Simons, but it was clear that he was a fast rising star in the Stunt world, and much better placings would come soon for him.

And, while we're talking about Stilettos, let's give some love to Remel Cooper who flew his Stiletto 35 at that year's Nats. The second photo here is of Remel's ship. He and Les were (and still are) good friends.

More to come - Bob

« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 07:15:28 AM by Bob Hunt »

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2024, 06:47:09 AM »
Here's some more from the 1974 Nats in Lake Charles. Up this time is the legendary Al Rabe. Al flew his Semi-Scale "Easy Two Sugar" P-51D Mustang to a third place at this Nats. Al offered me a ride on the Mustang after the competition and I eagerly accepted. The Mustang did amazingly perfect round maneuvers and was obviously extremely well trimmed. It was, however, lacking somewhat in cornering ability. His next Mustang - Snaggletooth" - had that problem fixed! Still, Al's consistency and showmanship resulted in a very high placing at this extremely competitive Nats. As a brief aside, this was the first Nats in which more of the top-ten fliers flew 46-size airplanes than 35-size ships. To paraphrase Bob Dylan, "The times they were a changin'...

The last photo here shows the Mustang in the pit area with Wynn Paul's 1974 version of the PAMPA Wagon.

More to come - Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2024, 07:08:19 AM »
One of the most beautiful and stunning models seen at the 1974 Nats was Jerry Pilgrim's Sundance. It was yet another 46-size airplane. Jerry placed seventh on this occasion, but would finish in a tie for fourth place with Bill Werwage with this same plane a year later. I wonder what ever became of Jerry; he was a soft spoken, friendly guy who had a lot of talent for doing this Stunt thing. I seem to remember that the Sundance was built around a Shark 45 wing and numbers.

Later - Bob

« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 01:28:51 PM by Bob Hunt »

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2024, 07:14:51 AM »
Here's the last one until later today; I have to clear the driveway of snow again (I hate you California guys...  ??? ???) Up this time is Lew McFarland's Akromaster at the 1974 Nats. It was yet another 46-size ship, but that was nothing new for Lew as he pretty much started the "big" airplane thing several years before with his Shark 45. Lew placed 10th at this Nats, and if memory serves it was his last Nats appearance. Enlighten me if I'm wrong on this.

Later - Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2024, 11:13:31 AM »
Here's one more: I'm pretty sure this Cygnus belongs to Bob McDonald, but it might be his father, Rolland's model. They flew together for several years in Nats and local competition back in those days, so I'm not entirely sure if this is Bob's or Rolland's. But, it is sure plenty stylish!

Later - Bob

UPDATE! I just spoke with Bob (he's in the hospital with some serious spine issues, but he reported that he is doing much better), and he told me that is his airplane and that he flew that one at the 1980 Nats in Wilmington, OH. It was powered by an HP 40 Schneurle ported engine, and had a lace paint job. Bob always did build exquisite airplanes! - Bob 

« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 01:26:31 PM by Bob Hunt »

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2024, 07:23:50 PM »
Up this time is the legendary Al Rabe.

Al was the absolute master in the design mix of an excellent scale appearance with great stunt performance. The flawless front row finishes were the icing on the cake. Sure do miss seeing his work.

Wayne Willey

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2024, 07:25:44 PM »
Last one for tonight: Here's Dave Hemstrought's faithful, and beautiful rendition of Walt Pyron's P-39 Aerobatic Airacobra that was published in the July, 1959 issue of American Modeler magazine. This was a rather smallish airplane by the era's standards. It featured a bit of dihedral, and a side mounted motor. Walt, by the way was the 1953 Nats Junior Champion. In that contest he flew a Bob Elliott-designed Black Tiger P-40 semi-scale Stunt model, which was also on the smallish side. The attached photo was taken at the 1993 Vintage Stunt Championships.

I vividly remember opening the issue of American Modeler in which the Aerobatic Airacobra was featured and being captivated by the action takeoff shot of Walt's P-39. Just stunning stuff. I always wanted to build one of those models, but when I realized just how small it was I sort of hedged a bit. Still, the stuff of dreams for a young man... which I was in those days.

See you all tomorrow - Bob

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2024, 08:03:50 PM »
56 inch , on ' William ' Simons . Believe you knew the guy .

Al ( and others ) work were an inspiration to many ' overseas ' , I believe lead a ' semi scale ' stunt trend worldwide . Not all of them got it as good .

Offline Alan Buck

• Commander
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2024, 08:17:40 PM »
 Walt's Airacobra was pubished in flying models in
  April 1995 c/l stunt classic series #2
ALAN E BUCK

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2024, 09:30:55 PM »
One of the most beautiful and stunning models seen at the 1974 Nats was Jerry Pilgrim's Sundance.
This one brings back a memory.  I think it was around 1976 or 77 at the Southwestern's in Dallas.  It was early, with the morning sun just peaking over the tracks and I looked up to see Jerry carrying Pilgrim's Progress to the circle, catching the sun so that it looked like it was really on fire.  A junior I was helping (yes we had them back then) got that awe struck look only a kid can get and blurted out: "WOW, that's Jerry Pilgrim".  I can't remember another single thing about that contest. 

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2024, 03:21:40 AM »
Walt's Airacobra was pubished in flying models in
  April 1995 c/l stunt classic series #2

Hi Alan:

Yeah, I know, I was the one who re-published it. It was originally published in July of 1959 in American Modeler. While at Flying Models I started a "Classic Stunt Series," and we re-published a number of very significant Classic airplanes including the Airacobra. Also in that series was Bob Tucker's Tucker Special, Bob Gialdini's Olympic, Art Polawski's Atom, and Charles Licklighter's Ballerina III (there might have been others; it's early in the morning and my brain is still not functioning too well. Need coffee...).

Later -Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2024, 05:14:20 AM »
56 inch , on ' William ' Simons . Believe you knew the guy.

Hi Matt: Yup, I knew Bill very well. I'm going to paste in here a section of my probably never to be finished autobiography that contains some stories about Bill Simons. He was an under appreciated soul...

Bill was also a very prolific designer, with a number of original designs to his credit that have become classics over the years. Many of Bill’s originals were published in Flying Models magazine in the 1970s. His first published designed was his P-39 Airacobra. That one appeared in print in the August 1968 issue of Flying Models. Bill’s next published design was the Shoestring which was designed in 1968 and flown at the Nats and many other contests in 1969. It was not published in Flying Models until September of 1971, but since it was designed prior to the Classic Stunt deadline of December 31, 1969, and actually flown at the 1969 Nats in Willow Grove we know that it qualifies for Classic.
        Bill designed a number of other airplanes that were never published that were great looking and great flying ships. I’m going to insert here a piece that I wrote for my Genesis Saga book. It explains the transition that Bill made from 35-size ships to the larger ST 46-size airplanes. In my opinion he gets the credit for establishing a whole new design trend, especially for those of us on the East Coast.

For the next part of the Genesis story we need to retrace our steps a bit back to 1970. After Bill Werwage’s appearance at the 1969 Nats and his subsequent successes with the ST 46 powered USA-1 at the 1969 Team Trials and his Gold Medal winning performance at the 1970 World Championships, a number of stunt fliers began thinking about designing larger ships and utilizing the seemingly abundant, smooth and tamable power of the Super Tigre.46 engine.
   Bob Lampione decided to go “big” for 1970 and designed and built a larger version of his 1969 Nats winning F-86 Sabre Jet. He opted to start his big model experiments around a foam Shark 45 wing, and he used a Fox .59 for power. His decision to use the Fox 59 instead of the ST 46 came about because of Larry Scarinzi’s success with the Fox 59 in his famous Blue Angel design. With that ship Larry placed third at the 1964 Nats in Dallas.
   Unfortunately the Fox just didn’t make the kind of power required to haul the somewhat heavy F-86 around properly. Add to that the fact that Bob was never able to achieve a proper “stunt run” with that engine and the result was less than desirable. It was good enough, however, to garner a fine fourth place finish at the 1970 Nats in Glenview, Illinois.
         Bill Simons had decided to go big at about that same time, but he opted to use the ST 46 for power as Bill Werwage had. He really didn’t want to use any existing design technology and so he set off on his own to come up with a totally new ship using the “blank sheet of paper” approach.
The first decision that Bill had to make was what wing to use. Again he shunned any existing airfoils and came up with a set of his own. I remember being in his shop and asking him how one designs an original airfoil. He literally put a piece of plywood on the floor and then put his foot down on the plywood and drew around the curve of the sole of his shoe! “There,” he said, “It’s a Florsheim Special!” Obviously he tweaked that curve more than just a bit before he was done designing, but that really was how he initially started the development of that airfoil set. 
        Bill designed a ship with twin rudders and appropriately named it Gemini. I cut the foam wing for that ship and it had more than 720 square inches of wing area. It was the biggest thing he’d ever built, and as it began to take shape in his diminutive bedroom workshop, I wasn’t too sure that he’d be able to get it out the door when it was finished. Okay, that’s an exaggeration… but not much of one! 
        In typical Bill Simons’ fashion, the finish on the Gemini was outstanding. Unfortunately, however, the projected finished weight was exceeded by quite a few ounces and the ship tilted the scales at 67 ounces! We were used to the 35 ships coming in at 39 to 45 ounces, so this was a shock. So much so that Bill decided to not even attempt flying the new ship. He just hung it on his workshop wall. And there it stayed for almost three years just gathering balsa dust and serving as an example of a good idea gone wrong.
I tried to get Bill to fly the Gemini, if only to see what it looked like in the air, but he was having none of it. It was a “Hangar Queen” to him and that was that. Bill could be stubborn.
Okay, now let’s fast forward to 1973. Just a couple of days before Bill was scheduled to leave for the Oshkosh Nats he was out practicing with his Gambit model. This ship was a slightly larger than normal 35-size design, but it was very light and it flew very well. It was powered by an OS Max 35S engine. Bill had been practicing hard with this ship and he was looking more than ready to make a serious assault on the Walker Trophy that year. That’s what we all thought right up to the point where, on one of the last practice flights before packing to leave, he neglected to walk backwards while performing a triangle loop in dead calm conditions. You guessed it; the model hit its own wake turbulence and knife-edged in towards Bill. He couldn’t gain line tension quickly enough to save the model and it smashed to bits against the asphalt.
Bill did not have another model to use as a backup… except the un-flown, heavy, balsa dust-covered Gemini. I reminded him about that model shortly after he picked up all the pieces of the shattered Gambit.
        Bill took the Gemini off the wall and cleaned off the three-year accumulation of dust and paint overspray. Under that mess was still a beautiful, brand-new stunt model. It was still heavy, however, and Bill didn’t hold out too much hope that it would fly well, if at all. He’s a trouper, however and proceeded to purchase and prepare a brand new set of .018 cables on which to fly the ship (neither he nor I had flown a model on such “thick” lines before).
        Bill, Bill Eybers, and I went out to the field the next day to test fly the Gemini. Bill test ran the engine on the ground and then rolled out the .018 “chains.” He fired up the ST .46 and set the needle. We were all amazed at the “throat” of the sound made by this engine. He looked at me and smiled a bit, raised his eyebrows in a sort of “Here goes nothing” look, walked to the center of the circle and picked up the handle. He signaled for launch and I remember thinking as the big Gemini accelerated away that this was a bit like christening a new Navy ship and seeing it slide down the dry dock ways!
        The Gemini settled into very stable-looking level flight at about a 5.5 second lap time. It looked slow on the long lines (at least they were longer than we were used to!). As I remember they were 65-foot long lines. So the actual length from the center of the plane to the center of the handle was in the 67-foot range.
The moment of truth had arrived and I was surprised to see Bill pull right up into a Reverse Wingover! I thought he might at least do a few loops or lazy eights before starting a pattern. What followed was an epiphany for all of us. The big ship flew awesomely well, and Bill looked good with it immediately.
        When he landed we both broke out in unbridled laughter. He was obviously more than a little happy with the performance of the new/old ship and just could not believe that something so big and heavy could perform so well. (inside he just had to be kicking himself…)
        Bill did a very few trim adjustments and flew the ship four or five more times and then declared it the best flying thing he’d ever owned. He offered me a flight on the ship, and even though it was the only plane he had that he could compete with the following week at the Nats, I took him up on it. I was told, however, to take it easy and not do the entire pattern with it. That seemed fair.
        The Gemini felt great to me right away and had a sort of “slow motion” characteristic to it. The long lines and the powerful engine combined to yield an airplane that was amazingly easy to fly at 45 degrees. It was also extremely easy to scribe round and square shapes with that model. The vertical line tension was the best I’d ever felt up to that point from a stunt model. I knew that Bill had a serious weapon here, and I wanted one too!
For the record, Bill flew the Gemini to a fifth place finish at the 1973 Nats. That’s not bad for a brand new model with but a small handful of practice flights on it. The weather at Oshkosh that year was very windy and Bill’s big model went through it with obvious ease.

Bill’s Gemini kicked the door open for a number of us to make the transition to larger airplane and take advantage of the more powerful engines that were emerging. And while Bill didn’t publish the Gemini, he did use all the data he collected with that ship to design and build what has become perhaps one of his best known models, the Scorpio. Bill flew that ship to a fourth place finish at the 1974 Nats against some of the toughest competition ever seen at a Nats. That Scorpio was the first in a long series of Scorpios, and it was published in Flying Models magazine. Two years later Bill showed up at the 1976 Nats flying an 800 square inch version of the Scorpio and finished in a very credible fifth place. That plane had the very best corner of any model I have ever seen no matter what the time frame. And, in fact, all the models built around Bill’s original set of “numbers” for the Gemini/Scorpio series were noted by everyone of the era for their amazingly tight and smooth corners.
        Bill lost his number one airplane just a few weeks before the 1980 Nats. He called me and asked if I had any spare components lying around that he might steal to make a quick model so he could compete at that Nats. I did have a new wing, tail, and fuselage crutch assembly with the top and bottom blocks attached and ready for carving on the boards, and I gave them to Bill. He finished up the building and finishing and produced what was to be his last published design, the Rogue.
        Although known as  very quiet person for the most part, Bill had this really great and offbeat sense of humor. One good example of this is when Gene Schaffer showed up at the Garden State Circle Burners field in early 1970 with his brand new twin rudder design. In those days Gene rarely named his stunt models. On this particular model Gene had emblazoned the left wing with a large “USA” and the left wing with an equally large “AMA.” Gene sat the model in the pit area and we all gathered around to admire it. After a minute or so, Bill asked Gene in a very deadpan manner what the name meant. Perplexed, Gene said that it didn’t have a name. “It sure does”, smirked Bill, “U-S-A A-M-A, Oosa-Amma!” That got a huge laugh from the group standing around the plane. Gene hated that name, but it stuck, and after a while even Gene began calling it the Oosa-Amma.
        Another example of Bill’s offbeat sense of humor (and, really I could relate dozens of them…) happened when we traveled together to a contest in New Bedford, Massachusetts around 1969. We estimated that the contest site  was about four hours from the area in which we lived, but in fact we really didn’t know how long it would take us to get there (remember, we had no Google Maps in those days to tell us how long a drive time from place to place.). So, we decided to leave around midnight from Bill’s house just to be sure. We took my mother’s four door AMC sedan and packed two quite large (for the day at least) Stunt models in the back seat, and all our other gear in the trunk and headed out. At that time of night there was little to virtually no traffic, and the ride went quickly; so quickly in fact that we got to the parking lot adjacent to the contest field around three in the morning. The site for the contest was a field at the New Bedford Airport. So, we were a bit early in arriving…
        Those of you who knew Bill will understand this next part. We had no money for a motel room, so we decided to sleep sitting up in the front seat of Mom’s car. It had a pretty spacious bench seat, but Bill had very long legs. He was around 6-foot, 5-inches tall. After only a very few minutes it became obvious that he could not get comfortable enough to get any sleep. For some reason - that I to this day cannot explain - I had packed a sleeping bag in the trunk of the car. We had parked just adjacent to the fence that surrounded the area that we were pretty sure would be the contest site, and just outside that fence there were a number of park-type benches. I think I volunteered to take the sleeping bag and sleep on one of the bench’s so Bill could stretch out across the front seat of the car, but then again Bill may have thrown me out; it’s been more than 50 years since this all happened, so my memory may be a bit clouded on that point.
        It was pretty warm that night as I recall, but there were a lot of mosquitos buzzing around. I zipped the sleeping bag up around my head, leaving just enough open to get some air to breath and finally started to drift off to sleep. My first attempt at that was cut short when I heard the screeching tires of a car speeding around the turn into the parking lot. The car pulled right up to where I was cuddled up in the sleeping bag and I heard a door open and then slam shut. Then I was accosted by an irate man asking me where his daughter was (you cannot make this stuff up). I told him I didn’t know what he was talking about and that I had just arrived from New Jersey and was there to attend a model airplane contest. He was at first adamant that it was me who had picked up his daughter earlier that evening and he knew the the airport parking lot was the local “lover’s lane.” (Whew boy, I could write a book… Well, in fact, I am). I finally convinced the man that I was not the one who was out with his daughter and he left; offering no apology mind you. Through all of this my flying buddy, Bill - remember Bill? - stayed in the car, sleeping like a baby (he was never the type to interfere).
        I was just about to drift off to sleep again when I felt something poking me in the ribs. I unzipped the sleeping bag to find a police officer standing there looking a bit puzzled. He asked me what I was doing sleeping on a public bench at that time of the morning (probably at that point around 4 o’clock). I told him, as I had the irate dad earlier, that I was waiting of a model airplane contest start. He wasn’t buying it. He wanted identification and I think he was about ready to run me in for vagrancy. Then it dawned on me to tell him to confirm my story with Bill, who was still snug asleep in the car. The officer went over to the car, which was about thirty feet away, and tapped on the passenger side window with his night stick. Bill rolled down the window and asked what the problem was. The officer asked if Bill knew me and could confirm my story. That’s when Bill said to the cop, “I’ve never seen him before in my life,” and rolled the window back up! Fortunately the officer had a great sense of humor and just started laughing; he knew a good prank when he saw it. But that story is absolutely true, and I think it serves to convey just how clever and quick Bill was with humor.
        I’ll give just one more example of Bill’s humorous side. In December of 1973 I got married to Marianne (as I’m writing this portion of the book we are in our 50th year of marriage; yeah, she’s a saint). Bill was my Best Man, and I stayed at his house the night before the wedding. In the morning while I was taking a bath (he didn’t have a shower), he knocked on the bathroom door and came in with a bottle and two glasses. The bottle contained blackberry flavored brandy. He told me that I should probably have a few hits of the brandy as no one should do what I was about to do sober. I joined him in one short toast…
        In closing this section on Bill - and I could write a very thick book about all our adventures together - I want to give him credit for the title of this saga.Whenever I got down, or depressed about not winning he would say to me, “Kid (he always called me kid), fly good enough, long enough, and they can’t keep it from you.”
        Bill and I built and flew together for many years, and we became more than flying buddies, we were best friends. As I write this entry in 2023, Bill has been gone for several years. He was one of my all time heroes and certainly one of the best friends I ever had. He was helpful to anyone who asked for assistance, he had a great sense of humor, he was an amazing flier for a long period of time, he was one of the best builders and finishers the event has ever seen, and he was about as humble a person as I’ve ever known. Perhaps that is why he is still so revered and respected on the CL Stunt scene. I’ll never forget him.

Later - Bob

« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 07:00:24 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2024, 04:02:22 PM »
Bob
Just ran across this pic from the past.   
About 2010 at the Polk City , Iowa contest I believe.
Freddy showed up at one of our contests in Topeka a year or so before this.  Saw him at a couple of contests then lost touch.
Later'
Jim

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #129 on: January 17, 2024, 05:20:52 PM »
Wow! Thanks for posting this, Jim. Fred was one of my best friends back in the 1970s.We flew a lot together, and traveled to several contests together, including the 1976 KOI. We both enjoyed country rock music (especially The Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Gram Parsons, etc...). Fred was an exceptional Bass player, and, early on, a wine salesman. He introduced my wife, Marianne and me to Mosel; funny the things you remember...

Fred was a very good flier, and he was very competitive from his Junior years to Open. He had a lot of other interests in life, and never really concentrated fully on Stunt flying. If he had, he would have most certainly become one of the top pilots; his natural ability was that good.

When he passed, his wife Sandy sent me a portion of his ashes. I spread half of them at the Garden State Circle Burners' field in New Jersey, and half of them at a certain field in  Indiana... I understand that some of George Aldrich's ashes were spread at that same field. Seems fitting to me.

Fred was an original, and one of the most memorable characters I've ever known.

Attached are few of my favorite photos of Fred. The first one is of Fred, his wife Sandy, and their two daughters just a few years before his passing. The second photo was taken  at Bruckner Hobbies in Bronx, New York. That's Andy Lee at left, Sam Bridges in the center, and Freddy at right. The last photo is of Fred when he was a Junior, flying at the 1964 Snow Bird contest at the famed Garden State Circle Burner's field in Lincoln Park, New Jersey.

Later - Bob

« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 04:52:35 AM by Bob Hunt »

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #130 on: January 17, 2024, 06:07:23 PM »
I found a few more photos of Fred Miles that might be of interest. The first one is Fred, Gene Schaffer, and Mike Rogers at the famed Flushing Meadows field in Queens, New York. The second one is Fred and me hamming it up at a local contest. The third one (an Andy Lee photo) was taken around 1975 at the Union Model Airplane Club's Memorial Day contest. Fred is preparing to launch for Billy Eybers. That's Bill Simons standing at the far right in the photo. All three are gone now; it doesn't seem possible...

Later - Bob

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #131 on: January 17, 2024, 06:24:02 PM »
Interesting to note that he went from the Iowa contest directly out to see you....   See the same shirt and pants...!!
 Sorry to hear he had passed .  didn't know.
thanks
Jim

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #132 on: January 17, 2024, 06:56:21 PM »
Interesting to note that he went from the Iowa contest directly out to see you....   See the same shirt and pants...!!
 Sorry to hear he had passed .  didn't know.
thanks
Jim

LOL! He didn't come to see me, Jim; he sent me that photo of him and his family. It was probably taken the same day as yours was.

Later -Bob

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #133 on: January 17, 2024, 07:13:27 PM »
Bob
You are correct!    That was in Omaha instead of Iowa.   I can see the soap box derby gravity track in the background.
Seymour Smith park, Omaha, NE
thanks
Jim

Online wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #134 on: January 17, 2024, 07:22:01 PM »
Bob
You are correct!    That was in Omaha instead of Iowa.   I can see the soap box derby gravity track in the background.
Seymour Smith park, Omaha, NE
thanks
Jim

I wasn't gonna stir the pot Jim, but I was sure those pics weren't from Polk City. No matter.  :)

Wayne Willey

Offline James Lee

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2024, 07:32:46 PM »
Wayne
I must admit that I guessed the location, because I knew I had seen Freddy at the Polk City contest.
And, obviously at Omaha!!
the mind is a wonderful thing......   ;-)
Jim

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2024, 05:23:11 AM »
I'm posting an early one today because I won't have the chance later to post anything. My wife and I are taking our beloved Golden Retriever, Casey to have CCL surgery (her second one...). This time on her right leg. She's 7 years old and still thinks she's a puppy. She runs and jumps very high, and doing that she blew out another CCL (ACL in a human...). So please forgive me, for gushing a bit about my dog. Everyone who knows me also knows that my dog is a huge part of my life (I think it's the same with all who live with a dog...). So my first photo is of Casey.

The second and third photos were taken (I'm pretty sure) at the 1980 Nats in Wilmington, OH. The first one is a Gieseke Nobler and the second one is of a Gypsy. I have no idea who the owners of these planes are. Can someone enlighten us?  They are beautiful ships!

Later - Bob

« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 07:50:17 AM by Bob Hunt »

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2024, 06:20:50 PM »
For all you dog lovers, here's an update: Casey came through the surgery with flying colors. And, yes, just like most of my airplanes, she is a Bronze Dog. I'll start posting more airplane photos tomorrow after we get home with Casey.

Casey thanks all of you for the good thoughts and prayers - Bob

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2024, 07:21:06 PM »
    Good pooch!! Glad she's gonna be OK.. The first dog we owned lived a long time. Just a rescue mixed breed that my wife and mother in law picked out of a local "adopt-a-thon" that would have been euthanized in the following days if she had not been adopted. She had similar problems with her hind legs. One had a bad joint, and in compensating for it, she injured the other. The vet said it would be enormously expensive to do any surgery on a dog her age ( about 12 or15 at the time I think) and the money just wasn't in the budget. he said there was a chance that she could heal naturally with some medication but we would have top carry her up and down steps and such. So that's what we did. She really seemed to know what the situation was and did not push things herself at all. After 3 weeks or so we saw an improvement and after about 3 or 4 more weeks, we let her start walking stairs herself to go outside, but it was obvious that she knew she still had to take it easy. She eventually fully recovered, and was her old self again and lived to be almost 20 years old I think Dogs are amazing animals!

Thanks for the pictures also Bob!! That scanner does a really nice job. Does it freshen up the colors and such as part of the process? Sean gave me a small scanner for Christmas a few years ago that I still need to learn how to use.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #139 on: January 19, 2024, 02:50:55 AM »
Hi Dan:

Thanks for the thoughts. What Casey had would not have healed on its own. And, yes, this particular surgery is VERY expensive. But, hey, she's my little girl...

As for the scanner, yes, it does have a feature that lets you adjust the color and the brightness, but I prefer to use the color and other adjustment tools on my MAC. I'm almost at the end of the slides that I have, but now it's on to the mountain (about a foot high...) of B&W film strips. There must be 10,000 of them or more... %^@ I won't have too much time to do that in the near future as I'll have to be with Casey pretty much 24 -7 for the next two weeks. At that point I'll probably start another thread as this one is getting long.

Later - Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2024, 03:37:43 AM »
The first one for today features Bob Whitely and Bob Gialdini at VSC 3 in 1991. That's Bob G signing Bob W's Olympic, which as you probably already know is a Gialdini design. Also included here is a photo of Bob Whitely's 1989 VSC winning Panther, and a photo of his 1974 Nats version of his famous Miss Kell. The two Bobs are now gone, but they each left a rich legacy.

Later - Bob

PS: Note that in the first photo Chris McMillin is standing in line waiting to have his Olympic be autographed by Bob!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 06:52:44 PM by Bob Hunt »

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2024, 08:38:04 AM »
Hi Dan:

Thanks for the thoughts. What Casey had would not have healed on its own. And, yes, this particular surgery is VERY expensive. But, hey, she's my little girl...

As for the scanner, yes, it does have a feature that lets you adjust the color and the brightness, but I prefer to use the color and other adjustment tools on my MAC. I'm almost at the end of the slides that I have, but now it's on to the mountain (about a foot high...) of B&W film strips. There must be 10,000 of them or more... %^@ I won't have too much time to do that in the near future as I'll have to be with Casey pretty much 24 -7 for the next two weeks. At that point I'll probably start another thread as this one is getting long.

Later - Bob

Good Morning Bob;
     You have mentioned before that you have several writings in progress and have doubts about being able to finish. Is it possible in this day and age to post the manuscripts, photos, and related items that you have to a web site somewhere that will preserve them but still allow others to view them/ If you go through this process of scanning photos and such, it would be nice to only have to handle them once. You could make slight corrections, additions and deletions as you go but they will still be around. What you have accumulated and what you have in your head still is too significant to let slip away over time. I would think someone out there might know how to do this. I'm sure the AMA would like to have a digital archive, but I think a separate, independent collection would be a good companion to that. I would like to think that 40 years from now or more that there will still be people around that would greatly appreciate being able to see and read of your life time's modeling adventures, and it would include your Dad also and his contributions to model aviation history. Just a thought.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2024, 10:04:02 PM »
That's gotta be Jim silhavys gypsy in his world team color scheme, either that or somebody (aside from my dad) cloned it.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #143 on: January 20, 2024, 07:05:26 AM »
Hi David:

I'm very sure that is not Jim Silhavy's actual Gypsy. I've seen his red one up close, and this ain't it. It's very nice, however, and I'm certain someone will see this post and either claim it or identify it. I'll check the AMA number through Muncie on Monday...

While I'm here (my son, Robby spelled me from dog sitting duty for a few minutes...) I'll post a couple more old photos.

The first one is a group of Tucker Specials at a VSC in the early 1990s. That's Jim Armour at left standing, me at right standing, and Frank McMillan kneeling. The Tucker Special has been a favorite at that contest over the years.

The second photo is a close up of my Tucker Spacial. It initially had a Webra 28 mounted in the nose, but that was replaced by a Webra 32 with reduced blow-down timing in the sleeve. It was very powerful, but also had great 2-4 run characteristics. That model captured for me the first of my seven VSC Classic Stunt wins, and it was one of my favorites. It lasted a long time, too. It weighed 34 ounces and flew outstandingly well.

Okay, time to get back to dog sitting Casey. She has to be watched 24-7 for at least 14 days, and this is day 2...

Later - Bob

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #144 on: January 20, 2024, 07:40:43 PM »
Bobby,  I have just started through this thread again.  As I have stated before you have had/have a great life with all the people and places you have been.  Glad to hear your pup is doing wel.  Remember my Sandy the demented toy Poodle that used to be with me at VSC?  She liked everybody except one person that she would groel at every time he got close for some reason.  She was supposed to be a pure bred but because of deformed hind qaurters could not be bred.  But she was my puppy from the first second she got in my arms.  She passed about three or so years ago on a memoroal day while I was at the computor.  She was hurting and I gave her som hemp oil to ease the pain.  I think shewent peacefully then.  Still mis her.  Lost count of how many dogs have been in my life.  Dad always said don't make pets of them  but I remember a couple that stayed close to him.  One in particular that was rejected from a litter as a pup.  I would feed her with a toy baby bottle until she learned to drink from a dish.

Also I want to thank you for the memories of the people that have gone on and I wonder why I'm still here.    Anyway thanks again.

By the way talking of pictures the wife handed me several boxes of picture I had taken through the years.  A lot of contest photos, NATS and trips with Melvin and Brenda.  Fro some reason I alway had doubles made.  I sortd through them and all the contest pictures I sent home with Melvin about a month ago.  Amazing how we changed through the years. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2024, 03:23:37 PM »
Bobby,  I have just started through this thread again.  As I have stated before you have had/have a great life with all the people and places you have been.  Glad to hear your pup is doing wel.  Remember my Sandy the demented toy Poodle that used to be with me at VSC?  She liked everybody except one person that she would groel at every time he got close for some reason.  She was supposed to be a pure bred but because of deformed hind qaurters could not be bred.  But she was my puppy from the first second she got in my arms.  She passed about three or so years ago on a memoroal day while I was at the computor.  She was hurting and I gave her som hemp oil to ease the pain.  I think shewent peacefully then.  Still mis her.  Lost count of how many dogs have been in my life.  Dad always said don't make pets of them  but I remember a couple that stayed close to him.  One in particular that was rejected from a litter as a pup.  I would feed her with a toy baby bottle until she learned to drink from a dish.

Also I want to thank you for the memories of the people that have gone on and I wonder why I'm still here.    Anyway thanks again.

By the way talking of pictures the wife handed me several boxes of picture I had taken through the years.  A lot of contest photos, NATS and trips with Melvin and Brenda.  Fro some reason I alway had doubles made.  I sortd through them and all the contest pictures I sent home with Melvin about a month ago.  Amazing how we changed through the years. H^^

Hi Doc:

So sorry to hear about Sandy. Yes, I do seem to remember her at VSC with you. Also remember Rusty Brown's pup, but have forgotten her name; they were inseparable too. They get into our hearts...

Time for more photos. The two posted here were taken at VSC 3 (I'm pretty sure...) of Gordan Delaney's version of Mark Fecnor's Two Much design. Gordan and his pit crew are getting the engines started for Bart Klapinski. Bart flew the model - sans appearance points - in the contest and did very well with it. I got a chance to fly it after the contest and it took a month for my right arm to stop hurting. That thing pulled hard!

Later - Bob

« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 04:10:00 PM by Bob Hunt »

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2024, 05:19:19 PM »
Hi Doc:

So sorry to hear about Sandy. Yes, I do seem to remember her at VSC with you. Also remember Rusty Brown's pup, but have forgotten her name; they were inseparable too. They ge into our hearts...

Time for more photos. The two posted here were taken at VSC 3 (I'm pretty sure...) of Gordan Delaney's version of Mark Fecnor's Two Much design. Gordan and his pit crew are getting the engines started for Bart Klapinski. Bart flew the model - sans appearance points - in the contest and did very well with it. I got a chance to fly it after the contest and it took a month for my right arm to stop hurting. That thing pulled hard!

Later - Bob

That was my first, maybe second trip to VSC I think. I think the guy in the white T-shirt is Robin Siezmore maybe?  Not sure whgo is launching the airplane. I think it was on Bart's second flight that he sucked in a butterfly into the venturi of one of the engines and and man did that sound strange!! Didn't choke the engine off, just made it back fire and not run correctly. After the flight Gordy cut the lead outs off, if I remember correctly. Chris McMillin picked one of them up and handed it to me as a souvenir! I had won the best crash trophy which had a broken off Madewell .49 cylinder and head as a topper with a Champion spark plug in it. The lead out was solid wire so i clipped the loop onto the plug like it was the high tension lead! More great memories!!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Gordan Delaney

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2024, 07:58:55 PM »
Hi Dan,
That is Mark Fechnor in the white tee shirt.  Designed the first twin. Raul Alva is holding the plane and I`m starting the engines.This is my version of  his twin. Shorter Nacells? and longer tail moment. Also moved the canopy forward and slim down the Fuse.and changed the rudder shape

Gordy

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2024, 04:22:30 PM »
I went to VSC III to report on the affair for Flying Models magazine. I didn't have a Classic legal model to fly at the time, but Bob Hazle offered me the use of his Bill Werwage-designed Ares to fly in the competition (sans appearance pints of course) and I was very pleased to finish in fourth place with it. Bob is a very talented builder, and his Ares was both light and extremely well trimmed. It was a joy to fly, and he told me to "Fly it like you stole it." Or words to that effect...

At that  contest there were several examples each of some of the more famous stunt designs, and I got the owners of each of those groups together for photos. I have already posted the group of Olympics, Noblers, Fierce Arrows, and Chiefs that were present. This time it's the Ares group. Left to right are Bob Hazle (blue Ares), Lou Woolard (red Ares), ad Jim Hoffman (yellow Ares). I took a bunch of shots of this particular group as I intended to use one of those shots as the cover photo for the issue in which the VSC III report was to be published. I also used the other color group shots on a color page inside the magazine. To me that was a memorable issue.

Here's the Ares contingent...

Later - Bob

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2024, 06:03:01 PM »
The last one for tonight is another shot of Jim Hoffman; this time without the beard... This photo was taken of Jim and his Jim Kostecky-designed Talon at VSC VIII (1996).

G'night - Bob

Advertise Here
Tags: plane 

Advertise Here