News:

• March 30, 2024, 02:23:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Before the Snow Flies contest information  (Read 3585 times)

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Before the Snow Flies contest information
« on: July 09, 2021, 02:05:27 PM »
Hi all:

After a one year interruption  - due to Covid... - the LVRCS Before the Snow Flies contest is on again! I'm listing the flier information below.

I hope you can attend! - Bob Hunt CD

Before the Snow Flies 2021

Last year’s Before the Snow Flies contest was cancelled due to Covid restrictions. But this year’s event is a go!

This year’s contest will be held at the same site as the 2019 gathering, on the LVRCS (Lehigh Valley Radio Control Society) field near Easton, PA (see directions below).

Bob Hunt will be the Contest Director, and Mike Cooper will be the Assistant CD.

Dates:
There will be one circle open on Friday, October 1st for practice flying, and practice flying can commence at 9AM on that day. The competition days are October 2nd and 3rd.

Events on Saturday, October 2nd:
We will be hosting the Garden State Circle Burners belated (due to their loss of field…) 50th Anniversary Old Time Stunt contest. There will be just one class of OTS flown, with trophy plaques to third, and participation certificates for all contestants as a keepsake of the last GSCB OTS event.

Planes designed, built, or flown prior to December 31, 1952 are eligible for OTS competition.

Classic Stunt will also be flown on Saturday. Models designed, built, or flown prior to December 31, 1969 are eligible to be flown in this event.

Nostalgia Stunt will also be flown on Saturday. Models that were designed, built, or flown between January 1 1970 and December 31, 1990 are eligible to be flown in this event. There will be trophy plaques to third place in both Classic and Nostalgia. All ages are combined in Classic and Nostalgia

Events on Sunday, October 3rd:
The PAMPA Classes (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Expert) will be flown on Sunday, with trophy plaques to third place in each skill class.

Special award:
The Buddy Wieder Concours perpetual plaque will be awarded to the best looking model as voted on by the contestants.

Pizza Party!
On Saturday afternoon, October 2nd, there will be a Pizza Party at the field, and all contestants and contest workers are invited. And, the Pizza will be provided free of charge!

Food:
At the first Before the Snow Flies contest the food was a major hit. We will again be offering hamburgers and hot dogs made with fresh meat and rolls purchased the day of the contest.

Tricky Tray raffle:
Another big hit of the last contest was the Tricky Tray (some call it a Chinese raffle) raffle. You will be able to purchase as many tickets as you like and “stuff” the box that will be in front of the item you most want to win!

Registration information:
This is an AMA Sanctioned event (Sanction number 11317), and all contestants will have to show a current AMA license.

Registration will begin promptly at 7AM on each contest day (perhaps even earlier…), with a pilot’s meeting at 7:30AM, and flying will commence at 8AM each day, except for OTS on Saturday; flying for that event will begin at 9AM.

The flight order for each event will be drawn and posted. Your order of registration will not have any bearing on the flight order.

The event fees are as follows: $15.00 for one event, $20.00 for two events, and $25.00 for three events. But, hey, the Pizza Party is free…

Directions:
The LVRCS field is located at 4140 Gradwohl Switch Rd, Easton, PA, 18045-8216 ( 40.712496, -75.307552 ). Additional field and club information is available the LVRCS website: LVRCS.com

Lodging:
There are a number of motels in the Easton/Allentown/Bethlehem Pennsylvania area. A check of the internet should yield many in varying price ranges. All of these motels should be within minutes driving distance of the LVRCS field.

Additional information:
A limited amount of RV parking is available on the contest site, but there are no hook-ups available, so self-contained campers or motorhomes only please, and please park as closely together as possible.

We are anticipating a large number of entries, so please park cars as closely together as possible, without risking the danger of “door dings.” There will probably be a parking director on duty…

The field we will be flying on is situated out in a large farmer’s field. The corn surrounding the field will have been harvested by contest time, so there should not be anything to cause turbulence.

The owner of the field’s home is located directly adjacent to the entry road, so PLEASE come in extremely slow (5 MPH max!), and extremely quiet.

Contact information:
For more information, please contact Contest Director, Bob Hunt at 610-746-0106. Email: robinhunt@rcn.com

Two last things:
Due to the limited amount of daylight during October, we will be pushing to get in as many flights as possible. If the number of entries for an event does not allow for two complete rounds to be flown prior to darkness, we will fly a finals with a number of fliers to be decided after the first round.

Because of the above potential limitations we are asking that you contact Bob Hunt as early as possible and let him know if you are planning on coming to the contest so that he can adjust his staff accordingly and also plan to make best use of the field on the contest days.

Let’s all have one more blast “Before the Snow Flies!”
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 06:00:40 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Before the Snow Flies contest information
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 08:30:09 AM »
My old friend, John Kukon (of CL Speed fame) just reminded me that the Ringathon is the same weekend as our Before the Snow Flies contest. He wondered if we might have the space and time to allow people with Ringmasters to log flights to be counted towards the total global flight total that weekend. Well, certainly those who are flying a Ringmaster in the OTS portion of the contest will be able to count those flights, and we will probably have a good bit of daylight after the contest in which to get some Ringmaster flights in. I don't expect there to be a huge turnout for OTS (but we are hoping for one...), so that circle could be turned over to the Ringthusiasts when the official flights are finished.

We may also have a practice circle open all day if there are not too many Classic and Nostalgia 30 entrants. We could combine them all on one circle and then have a circle open for practice and Ringathon flights. In any case I think there will be sufficient time and space for the Ringmaster crowd.

Later - Bob Hunt CD
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 01:44:22 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 12:19:18 PM »
The LVRCS club officers have decided that there will only be enough parking area for a maximum of 10 RV type units (motorhomes or trailers), so the first ten who call me will get a reserved spot. Again, as in the above posts, we are expecting a fairly large turnout, and parking is a major factor. We want to have plenty of parking area for normal vehicles. There is a possibility of overflow RV parking at the nearby Trains N' Lanes hobby shop (Less than a mile and a half from the contest site), and I will firm that up in the next few days.

If you are planning on coming to this contest, please let me know if you can in advance, and what event or events you plan to enter so that I can configure the field accordingly to make best use of space and time.

Thanks - Bob Hunt CD   
610-746-0106
robinhunt@rcn.com
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 01:44:38 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 06:24:09 AM »
Just a note: We will be adding an award for Longest Distance Traveled. There will also be plaques for the Best Appearing OTS model, the Best Appearing Classic model, and the Best Appearing Nostalgia model.

If you are planning on attending, please let me know if you can in advance. My number and email address are listed in the first post on this thread.

Thanks - Bob Hunt CD

« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 01:44:55 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 08:23:13 AM »
Please note that the entry fees have been altered for this contest. They went down! How many things are doing that these days.

The entry fees are $15.00 for one event, $20.00 for two events and $25.00 for three events. And... The pizza party at my house on Saturday, October 2nd is still free!

Bob Hunt CD
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 01:45:12 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 10:23:16 AM »
Okay, time for some updates as the contest date approaches...

There has been a change in the Saturday schedule. Old Tyme Stunt, Classic Stunt and Nostalgia 30 Stunt will still be flown on Saturday as in the original post here. We have decided to have the Pizza Party at the field on Saturday afternoon instead of at my house Saturday evening (and, it's still free...) The world-wide Ringmaster "Ringathon" is scheduled for that same weekend and many may want to stay at the field and put in as many official flights towards the world final count as possible. As the CD and the person responsible for the field on the contest days I would have to stay there until all flying has ceased. I don't want to close the field down early when there might be some who want to fly until near dark. 

OTS, Classic, and Nostalgia will probably not take up the whole day, and I would like to open as many circles as possible for practice for those who are going to fly on Sunday in the PAMPA classes. I believe we can accommodate that and the Ringathon flights after official flying on Saturday.

Also, parking was a major problem two years ago for the party at my house, and it appears that many more people will be showing up for this contest. Parking would be a nightmare... I regret having to make this decision, but it seems best for all concerned. 

If you are planning on coming for either or both days, please let me know as soon as possible so that I can make appropriate plans on best field use and get a ball park headcount for Pizzas.

If you have any questions, please call me at 610-746-0106, or email me at robinhunt@rcn.com.

Note: the contest flier listed above has been updated to include this new information.

Hope to see you there! - Bob Hunt 

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 06:02:39 AM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 01:53:19 PM »

Here's another update for the Before the Snow Flies contest:

For those of you who fly glow, Stan Rauktis - owner of S&W Fuels - has offered to take phone orders from fliers who will be attending the contest, and then deliver the fuel to them right on the field! He can do custom blending to suit your needs

Stan's phone number is 610-252-2024. Tell him I sent you!

Bob Hunt

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 09:45:43 AM »
I would sure like to get a rough head count of those who will be attending the Before the Snow Flies contest. Especially for Saturday's OTS, Classic, and Nostalgia 30 events (and the Pizza Party. Would be nice also for Sunday's events...

If you are planning on attending, please give me a shout via a PM from here, or by phone (610-746-0106) or by email (robinhunt@rcn.com). 

Also, there are still a few RV spots open (no hook-ups...) and they will be assigned on a first come first served basis.

Please give me a shout if you are coming!  #^

Thanks - Bob Hunt CD

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 07:43:02 PM »
Just bumping this to the top. Only about two weeks until the contest!

Later - Bob

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2021, 07:06:37 AM »
Here's a sample of what the plaques look like. The artwork was done by Gabe Alimov!

Hope to see you there - Bob Hunt CD

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 10:35:04 AM »
Time is getting short! The contest is on for this weekend and the weather report looks good so far!

One big change: The "food guys" at the club want to cook on Saturday, so the Pizza party has been moved to Sunday. If there are leftovers from Saturday (hot dogs and/or hamburgers), they will use them up on Sunday in addition to the free pizza party.

There will be hand sanitizer and towels provided.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Bob Hunt CD
610-746-0106

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 10:52:35 AM »
Here is the finalized list of raffle prize donations and their value. We have $1,500 worth of prizes donated!

Raffle Prize donations

Trains and Lanes: Selection of adhesives and kickers. Suggested value $80.00

S&W Fuels: Two gallons 50-50 10% fuel. One gallon per winning ticket. $70.00 value

Rogerio Fiorotti: Active Timers - Four units. (Each winning ticket for this item receives one timer.) Suggested value: $80.00 each.

Brodak MFG.: $50.00 gift certificate and catalog.

Windancer Models: Ballerina III kit. Suggested value $175.00

Bob Hunt: Vintage Midwest Panther kit. Suggested value $150.00

Robin’s View Productions: Paul Walker Impact MasterFlite Foam wing with landing gear system. $285.00 value

Robin’s View Productions: 20 DVD library. $400.00 value.

Robin’s View Productions: Caprice Lost-Foam system for fully sheeted wing, and a set of Caprice plans. $105.00 value.

Robin’s View Productions: Complete set of Bob Hunt design plans: Caprice, Prowler, Genesis Extreme, and Crossfire Extreme. $80.00 value

Okie Air donations:  Cell Meter Battery Voltage Checker. $20.00 value.

Two bell cranks with flexible leadouts - $24.00 value

Two bell cranks with flexible leadouts - $24.00 value
Two 1/8-inch wire Ball-Link control horns and one 4-Inch bellcrank with flexible leadouts $32.00 value.

Brent Williams: Ted Fancher handle kit

BMJR: Free shipping vouchers for any BMJR kit.

Jim Lee Machine Shop: 3 weighted prop nuts

Pat King Models: 1/2A Sopwith Camel kit with full-size plans

« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 12:05:03 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 06:14:25 PM »
My wife reminded me that dogs are not allowed on the LVRCS field - sorry!

Bob Hunt - CD

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2021, 07:52:05 AM »
So, I'm looking at Bob's last posting and notice the add directly below it.  Google is not as smart as it thinks it is...or maybe it's got a weird sense of humor.   ;D

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2021, 11:39:04 AM »
I'm starting to post the Expert videos from the contest..

Untraced original videos will be here (Round 1 posted so far):
Before the Snow Flies 2021 - originals

Craig, I had a minor technical difficulty when you took off, so your Round 1 video starts two laps before the inside loops. My apologies, I'll be better next time.

Stay tuned for the rest, H^^
-Andrey
Spice is the variety of life.

Offline Craig Gunder

• New Pilot
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2021, 03:18:26 PM »
I'm starting to post the Expert videos from the contest..

Untraced original videos will be here (Round 1 posted so far):
Before the Snow Flies 2021 - originals

Craig, I had a minor technical difficulty when you took off, so your Round 1 video starts two laps before the inside loops. My apologies, I'll be better next time.

Stay tuned for the rest, H^^
-Andrey
No problem Andrey, I have seen all of that pattern that I want to. I remember that takeoff and don't need to see it again. Thanks for everything you guy's are doing here, this is really neat and a great aid and help to us.

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 09:02:58 AM »
Hi everyone,

Original videos of Round 2 are now available!
Same link as in my previous post above.
Traced videos are on their way..

Cheers, H^^
-Andrey

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 01:02:50 PM »
And now, what we've all been waiting for..

Round 1 so far:
Before the Snow Flies 2021 - traced

Enjoy, H^^
-Andrey
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 02:03:15 PM by AMV »

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2021, 10:22:08 AM »
Finally, Round 2 traced flights are posted for a total of 28 Expert flights. That concludes all the videos for this event.

Thanks for the opportunity, everyone! And thanks, Bob Hunt and support crew, for the whole contest!

Enjoy, H^^
-Andrey

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2021, 05:33:59 AM »
Those are very neat videos. Great feedback for the pilots and awesome for learning pilots.
Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline AMV

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2021, 08:28:56 AM »
Andrey, I see you traced many flights at different contests so, the white elephant in the room, after reviewing all those videos did you ever get the idea someone else should have won? Do human judges get it right?

Motorman 8)

The thought never occurred to me. I'm too young to this SPART to understand judging yet.
Besides, that's not the point of this exercise.

Cheers,  H^^
-Andrey
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 08:49:59 AM by AMV »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here