News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:25:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CL Fliers Spotted in Clovis, New Mexico  (Read 3389 times)

George Hostler

• Trade Count: (0)
CL Fliers Spotted in Clovis, New Mexico
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:53:14 AM »
Hello, I am new to this forum, but not new to CL. My first plane in 1965 was a half-A Scientific Walt Musciano stand way off scale Hellcat built up with plastic turtle deck and Cox .020 Pee Wee. I have built close to a dozen of these, moving on to a Sterling P-51 Profile with Testor McCoy .19 Red Head in the early 1970's. This past week I flew my Ringmaster Junior with OS Max 15FP-S. Last time I flew it was in the 1990's. Flying with Ron Cribbs, here are a few videos of our flights.

A few photos of our flying:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/advnaicqe1terz3/PS4pCQrhYf#/

(Edit, not sure why YouTube's are not showing up, converting to links.)

My accidental flight with Ringmaster Jr. & OS 15FP-S on 35 feet lines:

Ron's Baby Clown with Tee Dee 049:

Ron's Ringmaster with Fox 35 Stunt:

Videos and photos are courtesy of Gary Jones, MADS R/C Club. Please note I erroneously told Gary last flight was 19 years ago. After thinking about it, it is more like 14 or 15. What's a few years, anyway?  ~>

Offline Ward Van Duzer

• Admiral
Re: CL Fliers Spotted in Clovis, New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:43:57 AM »
A pretty scruffy looking field, but it doesn't look like you'll have many complaining neighbors!

Enjoy...

W.   #^
I hate spelling errors, you mess up 2 letters and you are urined!

Don't hesitate to ask dumb questions.
They are easier to handle than dumb mistakes!  Ward-O AMA 6022

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:05:38 AM »
Heck I would get dizzy at 3 second laps. Try 52 foot lines.
AMA 12366

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:57:21 AM »
As Sparky says, go to 52 foot lines on the .15.   Yes the flying site looks a little ruff, but I would love to have that much room to fly close to home.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

George Hostler

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »
A pretty scruffy looking field, but it doesn't look like you'll have many complaining neighbors! Enjoy... W.   #^
Clovis and Cannon AFB are encroached by 18 dairy farms. With the wind is the usual odoriferous stench, people here call it the smell of money.  <=

The field is maintained by the modelers and we have had some recent rains, so we got some growth to take care of. The CL circle is actually the intersections of the paved RC runways. They have 3 runways facing at various angles. the lesser used needs to be weed wacked.

Heck I would get dizzy at 3 second laps. Try 52 foot lines.
Afterwards, Ron let me try his 58 feet lines, what a big difference. Now I was doing 5 second laps at this 4,300 feet elevation. I've got some Spectra bulk line, am planning to make up a couple 52' sets.

As Sparky says, go to 52 foot lines on the .15.   Yes the flying site looks a little ruff, but I would love to have that much room to fly close to home.
John, I'd think in your local, there would be plenty of space. Too bad one of the farmers or ranches or municipal airport operators doesn't fly CL.

Offline KenP51

• Commander
  • K Pitts
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 08:12:26 AM »
Enjoyed the videos George.
It looked like that ringmaster was trying it's best to screw you into the ground ;D It sure would have if it had been me on the handle.

Ken
But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

George Hostler

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 08:24:07 AM »
I look toward the positive, Ken. Although dizzying n~ , using the shorter lines had no problems with line tension.  ;D

Yesterday Ron and I flew with the CL fliers in Albuquerque. On 52 feet at 5,000 feet elevation, the Ring Jr. was turning 4 second laps.  <=

Offline KenP51

• Commander
  • K Pitts
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 09:09:42 AM »
Hi George
4 seconds is much better than your lap times in the first video.
Here are some pics from about 25 years ago of a rather fast plane. I had a piped rear exhaust Os .61 screaming up front. 1 is the business end, 2 is during flight (\man that thing pulled like a mule, a very fast mule), and last is after landing. Once I got used to it, man was it a blast to fly. I remember combat planes from my youth that were much faster.

I am still working on my little plane and handle. will post more later today.

Ken

George Hostler

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 12:55:44 PM »
4 seconds is much better than your lap times in the first video. Here are some pics from about 25 years ago of a rather fast plane. I had a piped rear exhaust Os .61 screaming up front. 1 is the business end, 2 is during flight (\man that thing pulled like a mule, a very fast mule), and last is after landing. Once I got used to it, man was it a blast to fly. I remember combat planes from my youth that were much faster. I am still working on my little plane and handle. will post more later today. Ken
Ken, when you were younger, you were really serious about CL flying I can see, a piped 61 nonetheless, wow.  #^ Those are fantastic photos there. Then you were very fit. Funny how we get older, as stated, The glory of young men is their strength. The splendor of old men is their gray hair. Proverbs 20:29 (World English Bible). Similarly, I used to be into martial arts and weight lifting, running 6 - 8 miles a week.

I redid those two photos of you, just to see if I could color correct in in Gimp, reattached.

Offline KenP51

• Commander
  • K Pitts
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 02:16:07 PM »
Hey the gray hair is there (check avatar). Now where the heck did that splendor get misplaced to?? HB~> ;D
Nope didn't fall on the floor. Wife must have hid it mw~
 ;D
 When I was young I was into biking. I can remember doing 100+ mile rides. I would use the excuse of needing something for my planes, no car, so off I'd go to the nearest hobby shop.

Ken

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 07:50:43 PM »
I hope all you Clovis guys are planning on attending the Albuquerque contest August 17 and 18. Saturday, AMA Stunt and OTS, Sunday Fox and SSR racing and Carrier.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

George Hostler

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 08:05:41 PM »
BB, can't speak for Ron, but if I don't get pre-empted, will shoot for those dates. I should have that Ring Jr. further tweaked.  ~>

Offline James D. Hayes

• AMA Member
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 08:20:57 PM »
We need all the support we can get for next months event. I'll be flying in beginners stunt for the first time. Hope you make it George.

Jim Hayes
NMCCLA's
AMA 988835
Just do it......

George Hostler

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 09:27:17 AM »
We'll see, Jim. I might pack my motorcycle with the CL things, would save on gas.   ;D

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 09:03:24 PM »
George, is that a green Stuntman23 in there?

I flew one regularly for over a decade. I named it Green Death. It had so much glue and splints on the rear fuse, I finally cut it off and mounted the stab an inch or so behind the wing and renamed it The Chopper. It suddenly became the funnest slat winged stunt plane I ever had, with a Tee Dee and a bladder.

Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

George Hostler

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 05:54:26 AM »
George, is that a green Stuntman23 in there? I flew one regularly for over a decade. I named it Green Death. It had so much glue and splints on the rear fuse, I finally cut it off and mounted the stab an inch or so behind the wing and renamed it The Chopper. It suddenly became the funnest slat winged stunt plane I ever had, with a Tee Dee and a bladder. Rusty

No Rusty, it is a Goldberg Swordsman 18. I guess it is the downsized version of the Stuntman. It has yet to fly, although I intend to if we get a light wind day, which are very few here.

Sounds like you did some really wild fun things back then. Ron flew his Baby Clown with .049 Tee Dee and wedge tank. I was impressed with its stuntability with the more power engine. My only previous experiences were with the reed valves. Here in Clovis, we rarely have a calm day so there isn't much opportunity for flight with the reedies.

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 09:22:14 AM »
...Ron flew his Baby Clown with .049 Tee Dee and wedge tank. I was impressed with its stuntability with the more power engine...
Oh, 1/2A is such a a blast. Click the Youtube link under my avatar and watch the featured video of my Baby Flite Streak. 3 minutes of controlled panic. No such thing as 2 mistakes high like the RC guys say Z@@ZZZ, 1/1000 of a second from disaster for the whole flight. ;D
The Streak has a Tee Dee .051 on a bladder. I have another one like it with a Norvel .061 that really scoots too.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

George Hostler

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »
Rusty, got to agree with you there. Half-A flying is a blast, but here in Clovis the prevailing High Plains desert winds have few winds of opportunity for flight.  :P

Some videos of yesterday's actions here in Clovis:

Many thanks to Gary Jones, videographer, MADS RC AMA Club who provided and posted these.  ~>

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 07:49:24 PM »
Thanks for the entertaining videos, George. Man, your Ring Jr. is balls to the wall, what kind of power plant have you got on that thing? Good flying. I think Ron gets the "Most Improved" award for this Summer. His skill set is coming along nicely.

I hope I can get out with the camera this weekend. It looks like the monsoon season is finally ending, and I started pre-flighting the Shoestring today. Got a new tank and did surgery to find out what was going tickety tick inside the wing... it was a rock! A tiny one. I must have scooped it up on a rough landing when I got a small hole punch in the wing last time out.

Enjoyed the video report,
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

George Hostler

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 04:41:54 AM »
Rusty, I'm using an OS 15PF-S engine with Masters 8x4 prop on 22% nitro and 50' lines. I've heard it is a little hotter than the 15LA. I flew it a couple days ago when we had winds to 15-20 MPH with an approaching storm, that flight was spooky with light line tension and slower flight into the wind, really strong tension and twice the speed with the wind. I tried it on Ron's borrowed 58' lines and then I was doing 5 second laps. Later I want to put it on 60' lines. Ron's flying skills compared with mine are impressive. That Goldberg Shoestring you got is a real classic.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 07:55:53 AM »
A .15 on 60 foot lines is pushing it a little I believe.   52 foot .015 is norm for me when flying .15 size planes.  Like the videos.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Ron Cribbs

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 06:36:24 PM »
I really need to work on my landings. ;D

It's been fun being able to fly 4-5 days a week, George has been a great flying partner and friend. I hope to be able to fly some back home and hopefully compete in some OTS up in Tulsa. We shall see. Gary Jones has been real gracious with his time and camera.

Ron

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here