News:

• April 17, 2024, 08:13:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jimmy Walker Contest  (Read 5327 times)

John Leidle

• Trade Count: (0)
Jimmy Walker Contest
« on: April 04, 2016, 10:29:35 AM »
   I presume we'll have a good turnout for this event because it's always put on well,, so with all the people I ask that when your event is flown , remove your plane ,lines & equiptment from the pits. The pits are small . Example when OTS is over dont BS get your plane out of the way of Classic & we'll grant the same curtisy to Profile , On Sunday please do the same ..
                            John

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Jimmy Walker Contest
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »
Hi John,

I'll be there. There is usually a practice circle across the road. Folks can hang out there after evacuating the pits.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline johnt4051

• Commander
    • Flying Lines
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 12:19:12 PM »
Just a small note about this contest for Northwest fliers.  Sometimes we consider the "local" contests to be optional.  We'll go if the weather is nice, we're in the mood, our planes are perfectly trimmed, and there's no game on TV.  But we need to remember: It takes as much work to put on a contest if nobody comes as it does if there's a good turnout -- and the workers consider it worth doing if people come; if we don't go, not so much.
  And, an extra issue in the Portland contest, the club has to pay A LOT OF MONEY to reserve the Delta Park field for the three days.  Poor attendance means a big loss for the club.
  So, all I'm saying is: The Fireballs are working hard to put on a nice contest for all of us. We should support it if at all possible, rain or shine.
  See you there!
  --jt

n1
John Thompson
Flying Lines

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 10:27:29 AM »
The "Dreaded Canadian Contingent" plans on being there.  Not sure, but last time I talked to Varley, he is planning on making it down.  I know both Rush and Haverly and possibly Peterson will be there.  Walker is leaving Spokane on Saturday morning  heading for Napa to practice with Fitz, before leaving for the Worlds in Perth.  He told me that they would probably stop by Delta Park on the way to Salem for the overnight stay.
See you all there.
Alan

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 10:38:55 AM »
Just a small note about this contest for Northwest fliers.  Sometimes we consider the "local" contests to be optional.

Reasons of politeness aside, if you want to be tuned up for the Regionals, you need to come play with us at the Tune Up!

... remove your plane ,lines & equiptment from the pits ...

I solemnly promise not to leave my Ringmaster in the pits after OT ('cause, I'll be flying it in carrier!).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 01:58:18 PM »
Though I don't count, Alan, I will be there, too.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 02:16:30 PM »
I too will be there, assuming I can forego any addtional flying which requires repairs before then,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 03:52:02 PM »
The "Dreaded Canadian Contingent" plans on being there.  Not sure, but last time I talked to Varley, he is planning on making it down.  I know both Rush and Haverly and possibly Peterson will be there.  Walker is leaving Spokane on Saturday morning  heading for Napa to practice with Fitz, before leaving for the Worlds in Perth.  He told me that they would probably stop by Delta Park on the way to Salem for the overnight stay.
See you all there.
Alan

Sorry, but I will not be stopping there with the large trailer in tow.

Have fun.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 04:43:56 PM »
>>Sorry, but I will not be stopping there with the large trailer in tow.<<

Shame, that. Good luck at the World's, Paul!
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 10:18:43 PM »
Paul,
You could just pull over on the shoulder, cross six lanes of I-5 traffic and climb the fence.  Nobody would notice the truck and the Queen Mary sized trailer parked there.
Alan

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 12:18:09 PM »
At least the weather report looks good.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 11:18:56 AM »
Randy,
when are you showing up?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
Looks like I won't be flying Old Time.  I was at Delta Park this afternoon to get a needle and fuel load.  First flight fine.  Second just starting to pull the string and the prop flew off the Fox.   Broken crank!  Crap!!  I have parts but they are 300 miles away.  If this is the total of my bad luck this trip it will be OK.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 08:34:31 AM »
I will also be there so I can Give Mark a bad time, He always feels better if I do that!  Welcome to all HB~> HB~> HB~> LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 07:53:53 PM »
Mark,

I got in 4 flights today after the speed guys were done. It's getting closer anyway. So that would mean I'm here.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 05:12:55 PM »
Well it just goes to show you, when you are prepared finally,, something will come up. I ended up coming down with the flu thursday at work I was hoping it would go away enough that I could come down at least saturday but it was not to be, my fever didnt break until saturday afternoon at about 5. and not having eaten for three days I did not feel it was a good idea to push it..
hope you all had a good time
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 05:28:29 PM »
We missed you, Mark.  Particularly when the wind started blowing canopies around.  Had it been you instead of Floyd Carter trying to fend off a canopy that was trying to blow into the circle during a flight I could have just laughed, instead of worrying.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 08:41:27 PM »
It was windy, but I didn't notice any canopy invading my circle.  I was too busy trying to salvage what was a really bad engine run.  (found the trouble: split fuel hose at the needle valve.  But too late.)

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 08:48:57 PM »
I thought that was you that got the face full of tent.  Musta been someone else.  We (well, they) ended up spiking it down & then tying it to all the heavy stuff to be found.
AMA 64232

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 09:04:25 PM »
So, after I whined about breaking my Fox,  Doug Powers showed up Friday morning with three of them and told me to pick one.  Can you say "great guy?"  I picked one out and proceeded to break a prop and damage the airplane on my first attempt Saturday.  So I returned the engine with about three minutes of additional time on it. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Pat Chewning

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 09:13:14 PM »
I'd love to get a couple of photos of the carrier event.  My dad who flew off carriers (A4's  until 1967) would love to see how it is done with models...

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 09:21:59 PM »
I'd love to get a couple of photos of the carrier event.  My dad who flew off carriers (A4's  until 1967) would love to see how it is done with models...

Go to YouTube and search on "Control Line Navy Carrier".  The first movie that popped up for me was from the Auburn contest of two years ago, using the same deck we were flying off of today.  It think it was a Johnson boy flying.
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2016, 11:26:00 AM »
Well, Floyd, it was exciting to watch. Floyd gets the "Never give up, Never surrender" award. He finished the pattern - sort of.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mike Haverly

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2016, 12:58:21 PM »
I flew the next flight after Floyd.  I got to see every view of my airplane, including the bottom.  The last straw was upon exiting the third inside loop and missing the ground by about a foot with the inboard wing.  The down line went so slack that the clip at the handle had rotated to 90 deg. to the connection point.  It made a loud snap-twang sound when returning to neutral.  I burnt up the rest of my electrons at about 20 feet of altitude flying as level as I could.

The pits were then deserted, except for John Thompson.  He flew his second flight with his Vector 40.  Wind?  What wind?  Combat fliers don’t seem to care, well maybe they do, they’re just tougher.

I give a lot of credit to Floyd and John.  It was a beautiful day, just turbulent after lunch.

Nice, well-attended contest.  Much fun, good food and excellent people.  No Howard sighting.  There must be a good excuse!
Mike

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2016, 02:14:17 PM »
Well it just goes to show you, when you are prepared finally,, something will come up. I ended up coming down with the flu thursday at work I was hoping it would go away enough that I could come down at least saturday but it was not to be, my fever didnt break until saturday afternoon at about 5. and not having eaten for three days I did not feel it was a good idea to push it..
hope you all had a good time

Glad to hear that you are better.  I asked Randy about why you didn't make it, you are usually there. He explained, your illness, and we were probably all happy that you stayed away.  You may have been better and still sharing.  No thanks :)
Fred

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2016, 03:03:19 PM »
Yea, the whole day was interesting weather wise. Either some of the calmest dead air you've ever seen or some really fun gusts the reverse stuff that was interesting. Having the wind (what there was) change 180 degrees in the middle of the overhead 8 was fun.

And, Mike, I figured out what was up with mind. It will be fixed by the weekend.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2016, 04:18:35 PM »
Thank you Northwest Fireballs for another fun, and entertaining, first contest of the season.  Special kudo's to Barb, a great job as always.  My only complaint would be the pollen attack as a result of the wind blowing through the surrounding trees.  I think most of it ended up in my eyes....  Ten years ago I could probably bath in pollen with no ill effect.  Not so anymore.

Could someone please drop by and shoot me, and put me out of my misery.

:P

Offline tom brightbill

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2016, 04:29:26 PM »
Thank you Northwest Fireballs for another fun, and entertaining, first contest of the season.  Special kudo's to Barb, a great job as always.  My only complaint would be the pollen attack as a result of the wind blowing through the surrounding trees.  I think most of it ended up in my eyes....  Ten years ago I could probably bath in pollen with no ill effect.  Not so anymore.

Could someone please drop by and shoot me, and put me out of my misery.

:P

OK Chris, I will, but only if you will me your drop dead ( ;D) gorgeous new plane.
Great to see you and Joan again, thanks for coming. Congratulations on your well deserved win.
AMA 34849

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2016, 10:03:55 AM »
I entered to provide the entertainment.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2016, 11:27:56 AM »
Floyd, well it was.

>>Could someone please drop by and shoot me, and put me out of my misery.<<

I'm sorry, weapons aren't allowed in Canada. You have to do it yourself.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
222's have a different meaning up yonder, Chris. How many of them is fatal? One of ours will do the job, delivered from at least 100 yard, too. Sorry about your pollen problems. I'm mostly PO'd about it making a mess of the truck.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the Jimmy Contest, pollen or no. I still haven't flown yet this year, and may not until late June. Yes, it's my fear of the FAA and their Gestapo tactics...no, not really. I need some inspiration from Keith, maybe?  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Chris Cox

• Commander
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2016, 06:35:16 PM »
Hey Steve - in case you did not know, Keith has indeed been out flying this year, despite his broken paw.  Actually, it would appear his ankle has healed well, and he is walking without support, and has been cleared to take up his morning walk routine. 

And no, I wasn't kidding, he really has been out flying.

Keith continues to be my hero!

Offline Scott B. Riese

• AMA Member
  • Captain
  • Just a student of stunt
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2016, 05:27:38 PM »
Chris Flew the last flight in the first round. The wind just started.........HOWEVER, ALLLLLL FLIGHTS before that was.......lets say  ??? ??? ??? ??? NO ONE hit intersection's, Clover was a complete WEED, ;LEO YES LEO, the 85 plus year old one eyed flyer did almost a perfect take off. Chris Cox KICKED everyone ass. Everone else .....BAD DOG BAD. Still a great turn out and very nice to see all-uall.

Will miss all of you in Roseberg

Scott Riese
Scott Riese
Portland, Oregon
AMA 528301

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here