News:

• May 20, 2024, 06:07:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheap, home made hand sanitizer.  (Read 423 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cheap, home made hand sanitizer.
« on: March 18, 2020, 08:00:33 AM »
I looked at the ingredients on a store bought label and it's 70% alcohol. I had an almost empty bottle of Avon Skin So Soft insect repellant so I filled it with alcohol, shook it up and poured some in a small spray bottle. Now I have an insect and a bug repellant. Plus it smells better than the store bought stuff.  For the decadent folks you can get a gallon of FAI fuel and use that.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Cheap, home made hand sanitizer.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 02:04:31 PM »
Does the use of kerosene, antifreeze and thinners count toward cleaning/disinfecting the hands?  Almost forgot the running of engines. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 06:18:52 PM »
With sanitisers etc it's recommended to use those with at least 60% alcohol. But remember that the alcohol to use is ethanol, NOT methanol as in FAI fuel or indeed any type of glow fuel. Methanol is deadly poisonous and gets absorbed through the skin, let alone drinking it!

However, the other day I checked the msds for methylated spirits (or whatever you guys call it) because I'd always thought it was ethanol laced with ~5% methanol to make it undrinkable. To my surprise it simply had ~5% demineralised water added to it! So I guess a box of tissues, a quick spray of metho on a tissue and and you have a home made sanitiser. Use it to wipe the hand that held the pump nozzle next time you fill the car's tank with petrol :).

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 06:23:30 PM »
This has already been discussed in another thread. Methanol is not good for you and absorbs through the skin. Ethanol (drinking alcohol) or Iso Propyl Alcohol are ok. The first should be available from your moonshiner buddy, and the latter from the drugstore. In that other thread, I made a crack about not liking IPAs (India Pale Ale).  DK^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Brian Hampton

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 08:59:23 PM »
This has already been discussed in another thread.
Yeah, I realised that Steve after I posted mine then went to look at the next thread of interest to me. Oh well :).

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 10:53:37 PM »
With sanitisers etc it's recommended to use those with at least 60% alcohol. But remember that the alcohol to use is ethanol, NOT methanol as in FAI fuel or indeed any type of glow fuel. Methanol is deadly poisonous and gets absorbed through the skin, let alone drinking it!

However, the other day I checked the msds for methylated spirits (or whatever you guys call it) because I'd always thought it was ethanol laced with ~5% methanol to make it undrinkable. To my surprise it simply had ~5% demineralised water added to it! So I guess a box of tissues, a quick spray of metho on a tissue and and you have a home made sanitiser. Use it to wipe the hand that held the pump nozzle next time you fill the car's tank with petrol :).

Mix a Litre of Methylated Spirit with five of Orange Juice and you have a weekends supply of delicious soft drink with a bit of a kick.

Offline Craig Beswick

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 11:32:41 PM »
Got to put some boot polish with that orange juice and metho mate!
AUS 87123
"The Ninja"

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 12:01:15 AM »
Got to put some boot polish with that orange juice and metho mate!

I thought the boot polish was to make the metho look like scotch.  But I'm not an expert in this regard, I'll defer to regular drinkers.  ;D

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 12:06:28 AM »
Regarding hand sanitiser. how is it that humankind has manager to survive for millions of years without the need for such things, but somewhere in the last 20 or so years, a hand sanitiser is essential for the species survival.

A good wash with soap and water is the most that is needed in MOST instances.

Offline Joseph Patterson

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA member- Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 01:07:52 AM »
  IVORY BAR SOAP
        Doug

Offline John Park

• Agricola
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 05:25:48 AM »
For drinking purposes amongst the poorer class of rummies, the favourite used to be 'Red Biddy' - which was cheap red wine laced with methylated spirit, or so I'm told.  It wouldn't be strong enough for hand sanitiser, though, unless you used some of the vin ordinaire I've come across in certain regions of France - that ought to kill every bug known to man, judging by the way it tastes.
You want to make 'em nice, else you get mad lookin' at 'em!

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 08:27:06 AM »
Regarding hand sanitiser. how is it that humankind has manager to survive for millions of years without the need for such things, but somewhere in the last 20 or so years, a hand sanitiser is essential for the species survival.

A good wash with soap and water is the most that is needed in MOST instances.

IMO - that's what has gotten us into this position! A little dirt keeps you health ie. keeps the immune system working, too clean puts it to 'sleep' so when something a bit nasty comes along the body doesn't know what to do! Every body has an inbuilt obsolescence and 'sell by date' - trying to beat the natural course of life is a self defeating exercise and doesn't help the species thrive, it just produces a population with no resistance!

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 04:30:39 PM »
Hand sanitizer is something for when you don't have water and soap readily available.

Otherwise, a few ounces of a gel cosmetic and isopropyl or ethanol is a fairly cheap substitute.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here