News:

• May 03, 2024, 07:44:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A peek into the past  (Read 1417 times)

Offline EddyR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A peek into the past
« on: September 18, 2017, 04:08:49 PM »
  Rebecca and I are going to sell the house so i have been cleaning out my work building. I have been giving away planes and what ever I find that I am not using now. Pretty soon all thase ST's will have to  go. I pulled down a box this afternoon and found all these old trophies. I though I had gotten rid of all of them but this small batch got missed. I gave my grandkids all the big ones years ago and these small ones got stuck in a box. The only one I am keeping is the one in the front from 1974, It is a double first place from Dunedin Fl Aug 1974. There was a triple from Middlesex and a old 1984 Florida one on the back row. At least 8 are from the KOI around 2000. I thought I has quite flying contest by then.  There are some from Georgia, North Carolina.Florida and NJ.
  It brought back a lot of great memories but that time is long gone. Yup into the trash they went.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Eric Viglione

Re: A peek into the past
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 08:55:45 AM »
Hey Ed, it is funny how those things add up... I remember a few of those.

Selling the house? How far are you going? Closer to the kids? If so, which ones? I'm guessing you don't want to come back to FL and our hurricanes...  n~
EricV

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 05:17:46 PM »
Eric       Not Florida even with two kids there. The house and property has gotten two much living here on the edge of a large forest. I had new roof an central air this year and it cost a lot that I need to get back. May go to Denver or Flagstaff for 6 months as we know both areas well. More than likely stay around here, Concord NC
Ty I just don't see that happening.
 I burned out on CL flying lears ago and have just kept at it as a coach for several local people.
Ed

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 06:33:06 PM »
Ed,
What contest was blue one this from?
I think I have a matching one to it.

BTW, my sister had a garage sale and sold almost all of my childhood 1970's trophies. Melbourne Finger Crackers, Daytona Eagle Beagle's, District V's, Rebel Rally's, KOI's, Even John Gimbel's May Day meet. Still have a few from that time like Miami Aeronuts and a highpoint from Daytona, but certainly not all. Sadly, some have lost the plaques for placing/events.

Curt

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 06:39:27 PM »
I wonder if the trophys could be repurposed for new contests.  All they would have to do is make new plaques.  Just a thought.
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Scott Richlen

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 07:54:23 PM »
I wonder if the trophys could be repurposed for new contests.  All they would have to do is make new plaques.  Just a thought.

Its a great thought Glenn!  Most of us just care about winning the trophy, never mind how old it is/what it looks like.  In fact, the older, the better!  If your club hosts a contest, see if they could use them.  It would be cool to win one of those!!

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »
Curt    You could have one as I was the CD for three years at the Dunedin Fl contest. I think we used the same trophy for all events and places. I still have pictures from those meets. There was a hobby shop in Dunedin call Dunedin Sundries. The owner Mr Wilson and did the contest. He got MS and could not walk the last two years and died soon after the third contest. That trophy is dated 1974. I may have your picture? I use to have some of thase old KOI trophies 3' tall. I won the KOI old time stunt 5 times in a row and recycled them back to the Central Florida contests. I remember a Orlando contest where I won one off my old trophies for the second time. Remember Joe Mead?   

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 08:31:12 PM »
That's a great idea about recycling old trophies!
Would be cool if the original plaques were on the back, maybe with the original winners name too?

Ed,
I will look for it. I know I was at the 74 KOI, I have one from 74, 84, 94, 04. Not sure where I ended up in 2014 or if I have one, that would have been cool.

Thanks for the memories and post the picture if you find it!

Curt

Offline Curt D Contrata

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 08:46:36 PM »
Ed,
You got me looking and it seems I won the KOI in 2014 so that makes a nice set!
Trophies from KOI's of 1974, 1984, 1994, 2004, & 2014.

Thanks again, but now feeling old.

Curt
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:43:37 PM by Curt D Contrata »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »

StLouis does that already and has for quite a few years.    My Grand daughter still has her first one she won in St Louis. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Les McDonald

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • " The Jelly Man"
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 11:59:15 AM »
Remember Joe Mead?

Holy smokes, that's a name from the past.
I'll bet Joe judged me at more than 20 or 30 contests, usually by himself!
I see people my age out there climbing mountains and zip lining and here I am feeling good about myself because I got my leg through my underwear without losing my balance

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 04:17:18 PM »
Curt & Les
 Do you know any of these people. I forgot we had racing events but this photo shows it. The color picture is mine from that meet.
This was not a AMA contest. It was sponsored by the Dunedin parks depart and the Canadian baseball team,Toronto Blue Jays. Wilson and I ran it. It looks like the guy ama 15850 has one of the same trophies. It has a huge turn out of young kids with there dads helping. I think everyone got some small prize.
    Joe Mead and his son were the judges at Jacksonville for years.   

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here