News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:32:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jerry Worth  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Jerry Worth
« on: April 07, 2023, 07:48:30 AM »
Jerry Worth - designer of the Electra X-35 and the Nats-winning P-26A Peashooter - passed away April 1st at the age of 91.  His daughter and son are gathering up plans and other memorabilia, should you have any to share.  Condolences and best wishes for God's peace for the family.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Jerry Worth
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 10:30:17 AM »
Very sorry to hear about Jerry. He certainly contributed lots to our hobby. Sorry I never got to meet him.

But I think that first picture is a Dick Williams Electra. It might be Jim Tichy’s model, the clockwise flying is sort of the giveaway.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 12:03:51 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Jerry. He certainly contributed lots to our hobby. Sorry I never got to meet him.

But I think that first picture is a Dick Williams Electra. It might be Jim Tichy’s model, the clockwise flying is sort of the giveaway.

I think you are correct, Clint. I think jerry Worth designed a model called Mirage??  It's name I know I have read many times in the magazines, but just having trouble putting the name to specific airplanes.  Certainly a part of the history of our event.

Condolences to his family and close friends,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 06:59:17 PM »
Jerry was one of my childhood heroes. Very sorry to hear of his passing. As for the Electra, everyone is correct. The photo above is most certainly the one Dick Williams designed and built. And, yes, Jerry did indeed design and publish the Mirage, but he also had an Electra X-35 design that was published in the February 1964 issue of Model Airplane News. Can get confusing... 

Jerry's Apterix was my personal favorite, and it had huge impact on Bill Werwage as well. Bill re-designed and rebuilt and refinished his 1969 USA-1 to look almost exactly like Jerry's iconic ship. Bill did that re-design/rebuild/refinish between the 1969 Nats and the 1969 FAI Team Trials, making it legal in both forms for Classic Stunt competition.

Another of my favorites from Jerry Worth was his Rampage RC pattern design, with which he won the static best of show award at the Toledo show many years ago. His styling ques had a most profound influence on many of my own designs. Jerry will be remembered always.

Godspeed Mr. Worth

Bob Hunt

« Last Edit: April 07, 2023, 09:35:56 PM by Bob Hunt »

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 07:58:31 PM »
Jerry was a terrific builder (evidenced by his P-26 scale model) and finisher who worked very hard to become a very good flyer. Funny & very easy to talk to and very helpful.  I think of Jerry in the same context as Bob Gialdini in his approach to then-modern new-age designs.  He was a strong influence to my family when we started designing our own stuff. 

I attached a few files.   Dennis L mentioned Jerry's  "Electra", this is the first of Jerry's airplanes I ever remember seeing.  Bob H posted a pix of Jerry's Apteryx; preceding that design was the Mirage 3, which in my opinion was the BEST design actually published in the Classic era.  Later. Jerry had some innovative and beautiful RC Pattern designs published.

Prayers for Jerrys family, Its been a very long time since I have seen his daughter & son who were slightly older and slightly younger than me.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 08:00:32 PM »
One more picture - Jerry posing his N-USA from (I think) about 1967
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 09:11:26 AM »
   The Apterix and his Electra were two that I could not remember, but I knew he published more than just the Mirage. All classy designs.
  RIP Jerry Worth,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2023, 01:24:47 AM »
Sorry to hear about Jerry. He was a great designer, finisher and flyer. I remember him as one of my dad's friends one of the great people I knew in the 60's. His P-51D Scale model was famously kitted by Top Flite as the Form Flight P-51D Mustang kit of 37" in 1/12th scale.
Chris...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here