News:

• April 28, 2024, 07:30:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jeff's Brodak Zero is finished, here's The Rest of The Story  (Read 5952 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Jeff's Brodak Zero is finished, here's The Rest of The Story
« on: January 27, 2011, 08:26:14 PM »
 For a little while now I've been posting info and pics about this Brodak Zero project in the Building Techniques and Painting & Finishing sections here on Stunthangar. There are a lot of modifications from the original Brodak kit and you can check out the aforementioned posts for all the meaty details about the model itself, please check them out.

What I haven't let on until now is the story of how and why I took on the project. Here goes...

I had been curious for some time, and sort of had the bug to build the Brodak Zero kit anyway. I had a lot of ideas in my head for modifications that I wanted to try out on it. I also knew that fellow Minneapolis Piston Popper, Jeff Welliver, had a kit on his shelf that he always talked about building it to replace the one he had and liked so well years ago. I'd never done so before, but I volunteered that if he handed me the kit, engine, and tank that he wanted on it, I would build it for him. "The Deal" I explained to him was that I would build and finish it all the way up to the point of being ready to start shooting color on it, and then hand it back to him to finish at that stage, no charge. He took me up on the offer. What I didn't tell him was that all along I actually planned to completely finish it, ready to hook up lines and fly, before I gave it back. That would be the suprise, I thought.

This was all back in the beginning of May 2010, and I started work on it then. As the build progressed, I had fun Emailing Jeff "Top Secret" spy and status reports with covert photos from "MitsuWilley Aeroworks" and we'd joke back and forth with the Japanese connotations as the Zero evolved.

Then, about the last week of July or so, Jeff went in to get some sore ribs checked out and after the CAT scan was suddenly diagnosed with cancer. This came as a complete shock. Early on the prognosis was good, but somehow I had a real bad feeling as soon as I had heard about it. Just one of those "vibes" you get. As late as mid October they were stepping up procedures, but were still calling it treatable. Maybe there was more to the story, but that's what Jeff was telling all of us flying buddies. Either way it doesn't really matter I guess, it all happened very quickly. Jeff Welliver passed away on November 3rd 2010.

At that time I had about 85% of the construction done on the Zero, but I was still a ways away from even beginning the finishing work. Jeff never did see the model at any stage in person, only through the "spy" photos.

As of last night except for a couple tiny details, I have the Zero completely done and ready to fly. From the very beginning I had intended to put Jeff's AMA number on the right wing since I knew he would compete with the airplane. After November 3rd 2010 I came up with another detail that seemed appropriate to add to that detail on the wing. You will notice it in the photos below.

Gonna miss you at the field Jeff, Sionara H^^

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:59:30 PM by wwwarbird »
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Jeff's Brodak Zero is finished, here's The Rest of The Story
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:28:50 PM »
 More details...

Wayne Willey

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:32:32 PM »
 And some more...

By the way, THANKS to Emily at Control Line Central for her great work and prompt service in supplying all of the "Meatballs" for this project. H^^

Also, the JW-127 tail numbers are in reference to Jeff Welliver, and December 7th, 1941.

Wayne Willey

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 08:42:27 PM »
What a great tribute to your friend, I'm sure Jeff is smiling.  Thank you for sharing that story - makes that excellent model just that much sweeter!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »
Wayne,

What a beautiful tribute. Thanks for sharing this with us.
AMA 7544

Offline Bryan Higgins

• Commander
  • Arvada Associated Modelers Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 09:51:02 PM »
Wayne

Cool............... /DV
Bryan R higgins Jr.
Arvada,Colorado
AMA#885188

Offline Allen Brickhaus

• ACE
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 05:38:23 AM »
How neat.

Allen Brickhaus

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 07:23:56 AM »
Wow, fantastic job and as said; What a tribute to your friend. Darn cancer, took him in just a little over 3 months. :(
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 03:23:33 PM »
Wayne,

It was/is a great gesture, and I know ol' Jeff is loving it. y1   You did an awesome job with the Zero, and the background makes it all the more impressive.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 04:39:53 PM »
Looks Great Wayne, and as everyone has said what a great tribute to Jeff.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 04:40:52 PM »
Thanks for the story and I bet Jeff has a great big smile on his face.  He was a gentleman.  I think I first remember meeting Jeff and his lovely wife at VSC several years ago.  They were a great couple and were missed at VSC this past year.  
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Harleyman

• ACE
  • Captain
    • Circle Masters
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 07:11:11 PM »

Very nice Wayne.
Chris Sterner
AMA 1825
EAA 1429853
https://circlemasters.com

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 09:51:57 PM »
   Very nice Wayne.

Hey Chris, good to hear from ya! Haven't seen ya here for awhile, where ya been?

Wayne Willey

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 09:28:31 AM »
Hi Wayne, I really enjoyed your Tale of the Zero! I have had a little experience with this kit and combination. One of my all time closest friends, Willis Swindell, took this kit and morphed it into a Stuka! After he had flown it several years he gave it to me and I've been flying it for the past four years in PA Profile and Sport. Its a great design and one your late friend will look down on and enjoy. Willis died this past September but he did get to see his version do quite well for me in many contests. If you subscribe to Control Line World you will have seen this Stuka often. After having gotten just about all that was possible out of my Brodak .40 I installed a Nering tuned LA .46 and have enjoyed even higher performance.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 01:14:23 PM »
Hi Wayne, I really enjoyed your Tale of the Zero! I have had a little experience with this kit and combination. One of my all time closest friends, Willis Swindell, took this kit and morphed it into a Stuka! After he had flown it several years he gave it to me and I've been flying it for the past four years in PA Profile and Sport. Its a great design and one your late friend will look down on and enjoy. Willis died this past September but he did get to see his version do quite well for me in many contests. If you subscribe to Control Line World you will have seen this Stuka often. After having gotten just about all that was possible out of my Brodak .40 I installed a Nering tuned LA .46 and have enjoyed even higher performance.

Phil Spillman

Hi Phil,

I remember Willis' Stuka. ;D  Willis always had a way of coming up with a "new" Warbird that always looked and flew real good.  I never had the chance to talk to him about his HE-219.......  I miss him a lot.  He's having a ball with Mike now, I am sure.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline jim gevay

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 01:48:44 PM »
Wayne, that was an excellent story and I didn't know the story behind it when I last saw you with the plane.
As always, your workmanship is impressive and I'm sure Jeff is smiling at the result.

That story, just as you wrote it would be an excellent article for our newsletter. Please send it to Ivars for publication.

Thank you posting!

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 08:14:29 PM »
 Thanks Jim, and welcome to the forum! y1

Wayne Willey

Online louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 07:34:26 AM »
The qualiity of the build is impecable and this shurly reflects your feelings for him. All the best.---LOUIE

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 07:45:39 AM »
Wayne, Another amazing model. I know Jeff is looking down with a smile.  #^
AMA 59633

Offline Mike McHenry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 08:42:21 AM »
Wayne,
I remember earlier in the year talking about this project. Obviously we didn't know all the details at the time. I think it's cool how you finished it in Jeff's memory. I finally got around to finishing mine as well. Paint schemes are similar, I painted mine to match my Pampa ship. Hopefully I don't get tired of seeing the same plane on the end of the lines. Maybe some day we can compete together with them, that would be fun! Anyway, see pics attached.

Mike

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
 Very nice Mike. y1

I told myself from the beginning that I was going to do panel lines too. I either got lazy, or just chickened out toward the end, and I just wanted to get it done and get going on something else. I really like the detail on yours, I shoulda stuck it out I guess.

Aren't you the one who also did a full fuse one not too long ago?

Wayne Willey

Offline Mike McHenry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 06:15:07 PM »
Wayne, yes I was one with full fuse. I finished it back in early Aug.  I wanted the profile to match as much as possible. My only concession was I left the bottom blank and didn't ink the cowl area. I would like to get the two together sometime. Do you plan on flying yours much? If mine flies good I plan to compete with it in profile.  Take care and I look forward to seeing your next project.

Mike

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »
 I thought so, that is a very good looking model. I think this one should be a good flier, but we've got a LOT of snow to melt around here before I'll be finding out.

I started on a Super Combat Streak kit from Walter Umland last night. There is a post in the Building Techiques section on it that I'll be updating as I go. y1

Wayne Willey

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 01:32:19 PM »
Mike, another great looking plane.  I like it.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here