News:

• May 16, 2024, 05:42:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: J Robert's  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
J Robert's
« on: January 02, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
Any one know if the plans for the J Roberts Cobra or Saber are available?
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: J Robert's
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »
There was another design in the series, the Swift (I think). I've tried to find a source of plans for them before, but never had any luck at all. Still, there's bound to be some kits around, so we need to find one of each and have somebody reverse-engineer plans for them. Good luck on that!

The only one I ever saw fly was a Cobra, and what I remember was that it flew very well. It had a Fox .35S, Blue Blazer, and was supposed to be all new stuff. The flier was a Grad Student at WSC (WSU now), and it was flown on in right field of the baseball field next to the Field House at WSU, over in Pullman, WA. Mark Scarborough would know exactly where that was. We flew there a lot, and never a hassle. I bet Mark couldn't fly his electric there now without getting arrested. All the places I flew as a teen have cyclone fences around them now.   >:( Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 08:41:43 AM »
Will have to go look at my kits, but I think the plans are like the early Sterling kits.  Just isometric drawigs with printed instructions.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 10:38:06 AM »
I don't remember how the plans were but I built a Sabre in Profile Carrier as a junior back in the 60's. Won a few trophies too. It flew well and a picture of it landing was published in Model Airplane News. The trike gear looked cool and never presented any problems with deck landings.  Good designs, hope some one can bring them back.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 02:51:04 PM »
I have what I think is a Cobra which I built about 50 years ago.  I do need to recover it so would not be too much of a stretch to reverse engineer it, draw plans, before disassembly, of course  and make templates.  If you're interested for real.

Bob
Bob from NWO:  If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
AMA 15083

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 03:05:52 PM »
Forgot this part.  I think the whole series was built somewhat like the Firecat.  I do know the front of the fuse is hardwood, the rear, balsa.  There are no doublers on the fuse.  I forget how to attach the wing and won't know until I run back to Ohio the first of April for Dr. and Toledo.  If the fuse is like the fuse we built for the ABC trainers, it's going to be FFUUNN getting the wood ready to connect.  We had lots of fun with the table saw and 1/64th layered "1/2" inch hardwood (CRS disease got to me and I can't remember what it was).  I'm sure those of you who know what you're doing can do it with no problems, but I can't. 

Bob
AMA 15083

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »
I do remember that part. The hardwood front end/balsa fuselage joint never really presented any problems but at 14 years of age I didn't know enough to realize that it could. Shown on the plans were the 3 line bellcrank set-up which made all the planes great introductions to throttle controlled C/L flying and building. Although these designs are worthy of being re-introduced, I have too many irons in the flier to want to build one at this time.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 04:06:11 PM »
Right!  I know the feeling.  Mine has the 3 line bellcrank and an Enya 35 with throttle.  I don't think there's any way I'll get a muffler on it. but it looks awful.

Bob
AMA 15083

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 07:42:45 PM »
While going thru the forum it dawned on me that I was going to find the kits.  The Cobra is a full kit and the Saber has top and nose of fuse missing.  Compared the bottom peice to the Cobra and it matches.  The not that came with the kits  stated that some peices were missing in the Saber kit.  Looking at the boxes it looks like the tail surfaces verticle and horizontal are different.  Will compare parts to see how many match.  Any way a couple of pictures.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:49:07 AM by john e. holliday »
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 07:55:59 PM »
Thanks for the trip down memory lane Doc. The Sabre in particular builds into a pretty good looking profile.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 09:21:03 PM »
Yes.. Now all we need is some dimensions  I flew the cobra in carrier in the late 50's and 60;s in WAM as I remember it was a lot of fun. Just got to have more fun this year, before it's to late..Thank #^
Larry

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:59:54 PM »
Hi Guys!

Anyone have a picture of the two models?  Even ads would do.  Can't tell what the Sabre "looks" like from Doc's plans.  And I cannot bring an image of either one to my mind's eye.

Thanks!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
Larry

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 08:50:35 AM »
As soon as I get to the lap top will post pics of the kit boxes.  Nothing like having two places for pics.  Z@@ZZZ

Well here is pic that should have been with the other two. jeh
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:23:55 AM by john e. holliday »
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Tom Luciano

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 09:27:24 AM »
Here's a pic of the Airacobra.
My father built this in 69 or 70, it has held up well. that is until a year ago I took it down and while it was on the floor i dropped a very small nut on the wing and it exploded! Fox 36x engine.
AMA 13001

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 03:06:38 PM »
http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/resources/images/3rd-line-theme-5.gif

Larry,
You've changed a lot since that picture was taken.  These days you look a lot more....uh....I guess "Chinese" is the right word.   LL~

Would the Roberts plane be for Nostalgia Carrier?  What engine do you have in mind? 
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 05:08:13 PM »
Kim: You know how they all look alike!  I was thinking of my OS 32 would work .   Were was you on New Years Day ?
I had to be a field Hog by myself.... LL~ LL~
Larry

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 05:45:19 PM »

Out sick. Got hold of some bad food. Bruce Fraser and I did get in 3 days of flying at Alameda during the holidays while his company was shut down. We really lucked out on the weather. Knowing you, I'm sure you were able to handle the circle hog duties most commendably all by your lonesome!  LL~ The other guys were probably huddled under the roof with cups of coffee out of the weather. Only the former jet jockey was brave enuff. 
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Robert Schroeder

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 04:33:27 PM »
Thanks for those pics Doc.  Looks like I do have the Cobra.  Fuse looks like it's only a dado.  The ABC Trainer has a V groove in the fuse with a matching male end on the front end.  I now remember.  I bought 1/2 inch poplar but it wasn't 1/2 inch.  The 1/64 ply was to bring the poplar to 1/2 inch.  If it wasn't 1/64th it was 1/32nd.  It was about 3 years ago, after all.

Bob
AMA 15083

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 05:33:35 PM »
(snip)  I was thinking of my OS 32 would work .  (snip)  

I would guess that the OS .32 would be very good on that size, plane, Larry.  Don't you? 

I would like one, my self (A Saber), but too many other projects in line........  wow, when I was a kid, I never thought I would ever have to "pick and choose" which models I would have "time" to build.  Back then it was purely an "economic" decision!  Now, it's how many do I have left time to do........... LOL!!

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
Bill your right , now all we need is plans for one or a kit to copy.
Larry

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 08:35:34 PM »
There was a Cobra on the bay not that long ago.  Hope to get started on tracing parts and measuring the leading & trailing edges.  So far only differences I see are the tail surfaces and wing tips.  Everything else seems to match up as far as fuse and ribs.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 08:38:17 PM »
There was a Cobra on the bay not that long ago.  Hope to get started on tracing parts and measuring the leading & trailing edges.  So far only differences I see are the tail surfaces and wing tips.  Everything else seems to match up as far as fuse and ribs.

Thanks, Doc!  y1

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here