General control line discussion > Open Forum

It seems to me that we need some younger Moderators

<< < (2/3) > >>

RC Storick:

--- Quote from: Steve Berry on March 28, 2024, 09:45:41 AM ---Well, I'm a young 47 (48 in May), married, with a son who's 8 and twins on the way (due Oct/Nov). Not sure how much help I could be between work and general life, but if needed, I'll volunteer to be a moderator - just need someone to walk me through a few things to make sure I don't accidentally nuke a good thread or wield the ban hammer irresponsibly.  H^^

Steve

--- End quote ---

call me and we see if we can set something up

EddyR:
I know there are few young one into CL but there are still many middle-age and older who do not come to this site as it got so toxic with political talk. Topic after topic someone would say "don't read it if you do not like it". I complained  and got " don't like it move on" That is the reason contest pictures stopped ,results stopped. It is easy to blame facebook but that is not what hurt this site.
 I have stopped commenting  with a few post in four years.
EddyR          Will this post get removed as not liked by owner of site ?

944_Jim:
EddyR,
What you say may be true regarding "the culture." However, I think the FB transition is more than politics.

Two examples I have are StuntHangar the website in competition with StuntHangar the FB group, and 6-Pack the website versus 6-Pack the FB group.

In both examples I see the same users (not necessarily by the user's avatar/username from the DOT.com). I suspect the attraction to the FB version is both are linked to the user's FB account. In other words one login (FB) gets me into both.

Also, the DOT.com versions require cash "donations" from membership drives or other "arm twisting" to generate operating cash flow for site maintenance/operations. Of course, the commercial versions have much better "Admin feature sets/tools," The FB version is basically free of out-of-pocket expenses for equipment rental/domain ownership. Despite the FB versions, I still financially support three DOT.com ventures. I like the fact that they have embedded PM systems, worldwide user bases, and image hosting...well, and absolute A$$-hats can be banned by Admin or Moderators. The DOTcoms.can be more selective/private.

I wish I had the time to be a moderator. I wish I knew how to tell someone to "back off a bit," as I'm right wing conservative (vs "any-wing antagonist")...but I think I'd be accused of censorship because the loud-mouths from either side can't see the difference between downgrade your rhetoric" from the pure silencing action known as censorship.

Steve Helmick:
As a semi-moderator (!), I'll agree that political posts are not good for our small community. But then, when someone on the one side starts slinging bs, that's when it should be deleted. Moderators also can't be expected to proof-read every post in every thread. If you have a problem with somebody's post and you don't bring it to the attention of that forum's moderator, then you have nothing to whine about. IMO   :-* Steve

John Skukalek:
Very good Steve. It's in the best interest of this hobby and each of us to not drive people away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version