News:

• May 05, 2024, 01:40:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Playboy Kits  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Playboy Kits
« on: June 06, 2006, 10:17:04 PM »
    It is time that I give a status report of the Playboy kits. There have been delays and I decided to reveal some personal data to explain.

On April 2 of this year I was admitted to the local ICU for 6 days due to kidney failure. This was due to an infection that had been building for some time. I was feeling it the weekend before at the local fun fly at Aurora. My kidneys have resumed some of their function since the infection has been cleared up but not enough to maintain my full bodily needs. The doctor thinks there is a good chance I may recover as my kidney function is improving but it will take time. I have been having dialysis three days a week and that process results in me having short periods of work in the shop due to the exhaustive nature of the treatments. I have been told that this will improve also as I adjust to the treatments. I was very pleased that I was able to attend Huntersville although it was iffy until the last day.

The Playboy kits are labor intensive for me as to time spent on them producing the components. I had expected to have had them done before now and am sorry for any delays. The release date hopefully will be around October. If I can get them done before then I will announce it on here and the other forums.

I have been asked about the cost for the kits and the figure I have is $ 175.00.

What you will receive in the kit is:

1. Two sheets of construction plans CAD drawn by Larry Cunningham.

2. Laser cut parts wherever possible

3. A preassembled spar that is predriiled for mounting of the landing gear. 47 1/2 inches long.

4. Formed main landing gear wires with installation hardware.

5. Two piece leading edges and three piece trailing edges that are preassembled.

6. 4 sheets of Laser Locked Ribs that can be removed from the cut sheets and installed without fitting as in normal I-Beams.

7. A mortise and tenon construction crutch assembly that has been assembled, cut to length and notched for metal motor pads which are included.

8. A molded turtle deck that is a two layer sandwich - cut to length and angled for the cockpit.

9. A molded 35 thousands Uvex canopy.

10. An adjustable lead out guide is included as the wing tip is designed for it to fit in. A weight box for the other wing tip is part of the laser cut parts.

11. Wheel pants laser cut with extra pieces so the builder can adjust to the thickness of the wheels. There are normal sides provided and also an extra side with an access panel to allow a special method of replacing the wheels if the builder wishes to use it.

12. Special plywood parts are epoxied to the spar to provide a place for the owner to place his hands for doing a pull test that will not stress the airframe. See the pic.

13. Detailed instructions for building
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline Richard Becker

• New Pilot
Re: Playboy Kits
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 06:17:11 AM »
Hi Bill

Your kit looks as if it will be wonderful  - please put my name down for one and let me know when it is near ready (richandjoy@mweb.co.za). 

Several years ago I picked up a bad kidney infection when I was on a project to build a power line in Zambia (Africa) and caught some horrible tick-borne disease. It was without doubt the worst time of my life and the dialysis wasn't much fun. The good news is that I made a complete recovery and I hope and pray that you do too - modern medical science is wonderful.

I will be thinking of you.

Richard Becker

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »
Would you like the funds now so you will know for sure how many kits to make?  If it does come out to costing more, I think we as modelers could come up with the difference.  If less that is profit for you.  Even tho what I read the price seems low compared to the labor involved.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Sawyer

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 05:30:33 PM »
Doc,
   I have a list of people that have said they want a kit or have expressed an interest in it. When the kits are ready they will be notified first. I plan to produce enough to satisfy that list and several more. 

I have tried to keep the price down to a reasonable figure for the buyer. 
Bill Sawyer
AMA 53987
Windancer Models

Offline sadams714441

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 05:53:04 PM »
Let me know when they are ready to shp

Steve Adams
Steve Adams

Advertise Here