News:

• April 25, 2024, 03:58:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there a comprehensive list of Fox engines out there?  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Is there a comprehensive list of Fox engines out there?
« on: October 22, 2018, 11:37:53 AM »
Title says it.  Googling didn't help.  Is there some maniacal collector out there who connects the dots on Fox engines on some web page?  It'd be nice to have pictures + histories, if such a thing exists.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Is there a comprehensive list of Fox engines out there?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 11:39:18 AM »
Title says it.  Googling didn't help.  Is there some maniacal collector out there who connects the dots on Fox engines on some web page?  It'd be nice to have pictures + histories, if such a thing exists.
Could try messaging De Hill. From what I could tell he is a Fox Guru

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 01:52:16 PM »
I am wondering if Tim has stumbled onto an early Fox .19 with the 2 piece crankcase. Those are rare, because they were actually recalled by the Fox factory. They were prior to the normal old 3-bolt backplate variety.

We used to have our NW Skyraiders club meetings at John Hall's when he had his hobby shop. He has/had an amazing collection of Fox engines, and is one of the leading authorities on them. He lives in the South Tacoma area. Dave Gardner might be able to put you in touch, if you have an interesting old Fox. DG is pretty knowledgeable on Fox engines himself.  D>K Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Robert Zambelli

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 02:28:43 PM »
Try Bill Mohrbacher (sp?).
He knows more about Foxes than anyone I've ever met.
I've heard that he owns one of ever Fox ever made.

Bob Z.

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 03:06:15 PM »
Well, there are a few that I can think of off of the top of my head...

- the slag specials,
- the shaker,
- the oops too much nitro/rpm, crank breaker,
- the metallurgical fail,
- the "I refuse to update or acknowledge good advancements",
- the west coast throwing special,
- the fox cult worship objects,
- the castor spewers,
- the ratty ozark,
-ect. 

Many more fox engines to name, please add to the list!  ;D
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Norm Furutani

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »
There's a bunch of Fox engine tests (plus many others) on this site: http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Index.html

Norm

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 05:51:11 PM »
There's a bunch of Fox engine tests (plus many others) on this site: http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Index.html

Norm

Thanks Norm.  I think this is my engine.  (Going into a scale project).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Cody bishop

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 06:01:56 PM »
I am wondering if Tim has stumbled onto an early Fox .19 with the 2 piece crankcase. Those are rare, because they were actually recalled by the Fox factory. They were prior to the normal old 3-bolt backplate variety.

We used to have our NW Skyraiders club meetings at John Hall's when he had his hobby shop. He has/had an amazing collection of Fox engines, and is one of the leading authorities on them. He lives in the South Tacoma area. Dave Gardner might be able to put you in touch, if you have an interesting old Fox. DG is pretty knowledgeable on Fox engines himself.  D>K Steve

Do you know why they were recalled?

Offline Steve Lotz

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
I heard the split-case .19's leaked like a sieve because of the case design.

Offline Garf

• Admiral
    • Hangar Flying
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 01:06:56 PM »
This is why it was recalled. Have a close look at the case.

Offline Dennis Keeton

• New Pilot
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 04:03:19 PM »
Here's what I found:

Offline De Hill

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 08:22:56 PM »
The split case Fox .19 had a weak crankcase which broke through the exhaust section. They were recalled, and a new one piece crankcase designed. The guts were pulled from the recalled Fox .19's and installed in the new one piece crankcase. Very few had reached the consumers. Most were sent back from the dealers.
De Hill

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 08:33:24 AM »
Go to stukastunt,type in Fox stunt history, main forum, scroll down to G Willy. Pictures of all Fox Stunt 35's along with years they were made.
Jim Kraft

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2018, 07:24:21 PM »
With all due respect, Anderson's  was not a comprehensive complete list and had some inaccuracies.  It also used mainly catalog pictures.  But it had price estimates.  The work and dedication need to put out  the editions and update them periodically was a gargantuan tour de force.

In 1963 Tim Dannels started to publish the Engine Collectors Journal.  Part of his work to produce indexes of ALL North American engines.  He called upon manufacturers and fliers and collectors for help.  Early on he begged for help on the Fox index.  For sure there were experts out there, but Tim couldn't get the help he needed.

Finally in 2003, Doug Martin ( foxengines@aol.com now sells Fox .07s and parts) got project started.  John Hall in Puyallup, WA, was the next to help Doug.  I came in not long after.  The articles an for about 7 issues of ECJ.  In 2005 Tim incorporated the Fox material into the first volume of the American Model Engine Encyclopedia, covering engines fro 1911 through1975.  There were 158 Foxes in that book.  AMEE did not contain prices, bit had clear photographs and accurate descriptions.

Engines indexed included models were there was a significant change like a die change, a throttle, bearing changes, etc.  Wild Bill Ives the "World's Greatest Fox Collector" was a major help, as was Dick Wolsey, Gorden Sharpe, Larry Scarinzi, Martin Denny, George Aldrich, Doc Nichols, John Krickel, Dee Hill, Les Nerig, and others ; forgive me if I didn't mention you.  There was a lot to sift through, we did our best.

In 2015, Tim produced AMEE  volume 2 that covered 1935 through 2015.  It contain new information from1076 on, but several of the sections are completely updated including Fox.  The Fox count is now up to 311 engines.  Tim still has AMME v2 and back issues of ECJ  www.modelengineCollecting.com .

So if you want a complete list of Foxes this will be it.  We DIDN'T include the numerous factory specials, they show up in the Engine Collectors Journal as we discover them.  But you WILL NOT find a more complete list anywhere!!

My nom de plumes are G Willy, GWillie, GWillieFox, G William Mohrbacher

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2018, 08:16:41 PM »
Well, there are a few that I can think of off of the top of my head...

- the slag specials,
- the shaker,
- the oops too much nitro/rpm, crank breaker,
- the metallurgical fail,
- the "I refuse to update or acknowledge good advancements",
- the west coast throwing special,
- the fox cult worship objects,
- the castor spewers,
- the ratty ozark,
-ect. 

Many more fox engines to name, please add to the list!  ;D

LL~ Brent, you forgot what is perhaps the most produced and famous of all, the Stunt Thirty-fiveburpsalot!
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2018, 09:28:26 PM »
This is why it was recalled. Have a close look at the case.

Wow! I had heard this engine described before, but my image was completely wrong. The intent is to make it easier to machine the inside of the casting (same idea with the giant 5-bolt affair on the schneurle 40/45 compact), but this creates a very difficult-to-machine or seal curved mating surface, meaning you more-or-less have to use a thick cork or rubber gasket just to take up the mismatch.

Brett
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:47:24 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2018, 10:33:32 PM »
All true of course, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.  And to Fox's credit he had a free exchange program, maybe the first ever.  Send him your engine and he put all the guts into a new one piece case.  And as was mentioned, the weakness of the case, not the seal, was the problem.  And rare as it is supposed to be, they are and have been on Ebay all the time.

And the millenials with their cutsie remarks just can't stay away, huh?

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2018, 10:35:56 PM »
Bill,
Are the books still available for sale? I'm very interested in the cox history. Thank you.

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2018, 10:59:26 PM »

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 11:15:47 PM »
All true of course, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.  And to Fox's credit he had a free exchange program, maybe the first ever.  Send him your engine and he put all the guts into a new one piece case.  And as was mentioned, the weakness of the case, not the seal, was the problem.

I get that, but I expect that if they got past the flying apart issues, that keeping the thing sealed up on a long-term basis would become a problem. There would be absolutely no way to face it off square and clean and maintain the correct gap.

I also agree that I never had any problem at all with Fox customer service, they always got me what I needed right away, and let me pay them afterwards.

No one could ever accuse Duke of not following his own path, for good or bad.

Brett

Offline BOB ALLAN

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 12:24:28 AM »
A bit more info on the Combat Specials here -
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1402733-Vintage-Glow-Engines/page738#post30107089
If you're looking for a particular engine make, type the name into the Search this Thread box up the top of each page

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2018, 04:47:22 AM »
Thanks for that Twinstack.

If you want more details, I have been submitting articles on the Fox Families for some years.  The list is attached. And also attached is the list of Back issues of Engine Collectors Journal, you can order issues directly from Tim

www.modelenginecollectors.com

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2018, 04:48:32 AM »

Thanks for that Twinstack.

If you want more details, I have been submitting articles on the Fox Families for some years.  The list is attached. And also attached is the list of Back issues of Engine Collectors Journal, you can order issues directly from Tim

www.modelenginecollectors.com

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »
Excuse me!  There was only ever ONE Fox motor..... the .35 Stunt!  What's left to know?   ;D <= ;D <= ;D
Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here