General control line discussion > Open Forum

Is it time to bring out the Diesels?

(1/9) > >>

frank mccune:
     Hi All:

With the high price of glow plugs and glow fuel, is it time to return to using the Diesel powered planes again? I have three Diesel powered planes that are ready to fly plus at least five liters of fuel. 

Anybody else ready or a walk on The Wild Side?

Frank

Dennis Toth:
The diesels will do the job, they run very similar to electric when set up right. When I was in the UK a couple years ago I went to the PAW factory and met with Tony Eifflaender. He is a British national champion, he said the diesels  for stunt like a bit of load and run more pitch then glow setups. On his ship with the PAW 40 he ran and 11x7.

Here in the US it is hard to find commercial model diesel fuel but there are simple mixes with starter fluid as the base that will work for stunt and sport flying. The best starting fluid is John Deer, it has around 80% ether. you could mix 1/3 JD plus 1/3 kero and 1/3 oil you could add 2% Amsoil Cetane improver to reduce compression. Another mix is with high ether starter fluid like Johnsen's Premium Starting Fluid 50%,  10.7oz from NAPA. With this you mix 73% Johnsen and 25% 35 SAE mineral oil (no kero) and 2% Amsoil Cetane improver. With the Johnsen and other SF like it they have heptane as the balance which is similar to kero but is doesn't calm down the ether and you get a lot of pre-ignition (knocking), the mineral oil does this. You could do a oil blend with say 5% castor but mostly mineral oil.

If you have a fixed compression Drone Diesel the fuel mix is 73% John Deer and 27% 35 SAE mineral oil, they run at around 5500 rpm on and 11x10 or 12x8 wide spoon blade prop. Will pull a 52" Zilch easy.

Best,    DennisT

Howard Rush:

--- Quote from: frank mccune on March 27, 2021, 12:10:23 PM ---     Hi All:

With the high price of glow plugs and glow fuel, is it time to return to using the Diesel powered planes again? I have three Diesel powered planes that are ready to fly plus at least five liters of fuel. 

Anybody else ready or a walk on The Wild Side?

Frank

--- End quote ---

Do I smell limes on your breath?

Dan Bregar:
I think I still have a pint of Hexyl Nitrate somewhere  ;D

50+AirYears:
Well, I HAVE been curious to try my Cub .049 and Aurora .15 Diesels..  I wonder, some OLD recipes I've read about have mentioned using things like Truck diesel or gasoline in the mix.  Well, with today's lead less auto gas...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version