News:

• May 07, 2024, 04:54:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A question pertaining to AMA  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Bill Burton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
A question pertaining to AMA
« on: October 10, 2015, 09:14:26 AM »
I did not want to hijack Roberts thread about reducing cost of AMA dues because my question takes a different path than just cost of membership.

Has there ever been an actual lawsuit brought against an individual member of AMA because someone was seriously injured by a control line plane and what was the result of the suit and what part did AMA play in protecting that member?  Did AMA come to the rescue of the individual or did they resist paying out?  Most everything I have read on forums about why we should belong to AMA has been based on "what if" scenarios. 

BB

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
Re: A question pertaining to AMA
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 10:28:28 AM »
I seem to remember Brett made some reference to a large insurance payout regarding a C/L incident.

What would be more informative would be some overall statistics, not just one incident.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 10:59:00 AM »
What I was told by Dave is the highest payout for a claim was to a C/l injury. I know this because I asked most of the questions that concerned me.
AMA 12366

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 11:28:57 AM »
What I was told by Dave is the highest payout for a claim was to a C/l injury. I know this because I asked most of the questions that concerned me.

Was that the EZ Just handle self induced electrocution by a very unwise person?

Dennis

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »
Was that the EZ Just handle self induced electrocution by a very unwise person?

Dennis

We did not go into specifics. When you get a audience like Dave there is only so much time to cover a lot of ground.
AMA 12366

Offline Tony Drago

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 12:05:29 PM »
I seem to remember Brett made some reference to a large insurance payout regarding a C/L incident.

What would be more informative would be some overall statistics, not just one incident.

Floyd

Floyd. That happened at Whittier Narrows, I  believe around early/mid 80's in the speed circle. The person was hit in the ankle foot area. When all insurance and other medical  were exhausted. A claim was filed against the AMA insurance. From what happened, the AMA would not pay at first. A class action suite was instituted  against the AMA, CD. and all the ED's. Then they paid after being sued.
 From what I can see. You follow the guide lines and rules. Then its like pulling teeth to get a claim paid.

Now if one has to (exhaust all their current insurance) which it sounds like you have to before you can file a claim. You used up all your coverage you  worked all those years to have for the future. Then what happens when you need medical coverage down the road. Wait till your on Medicare or Medicaid and or both. Because you coverage as been exhausted.
 Correct me if  I'm  wrong. But don't most if not all insurance policy's have caps on what they will pay out in a life time.

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »
Tony.  Yes.  My medical ins. does have a lifetime limit.  I'm not anywhere close, yet.  Since I'm 82, I doubt that I should worry about running out.

So the AMA must be sued in order to collect.  That's about what I expected.

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 11:09:56 PM »
Tony.  Yes.  My medical ins. does have a lifetime limit.  I'm not anywhere close, yet.  Since I'm 82, I doubt that I should worry about running out.

So the AMA must be sued in order to collect.  That's about what I expected.

And reportedly, several AMA officials were heard to express anger at having to pay a claim for a "rich airline pilot" or some such. As if the fact that he had paid his dues for decades didn't entitle him to the coverage. That's also when the AMA went "self-insured" and also when they have to sign where the fine print says "you will not sue the AMA". Of course that is not worth the paper it is written on, as illegal provisions in a contract are unenforceable. It will however make it cost a lot to sue them, which is where the coercive aspect comes in.

Brett

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 04:34:09 AM »
Almost everyone knows that a contest director can waive some of the rules so why not waive having to be an AMA member?
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 03:51:47 PM »
Almost everyone knows that a contest director can waive some of the rules so why not waive having to be an AMA member?

Well...the smart thing to do would be to require AMA (or MAAC...it's a reciprocal agreement) and not bother with a sanction...but only if you already pay for "site insurance".

Always keep in mind that AMA insurance is "secondary insurance", meaning that they only pay after the model owner's homeowners (or renter's) insurance is exhausted. The main reason/gain is to not have to fill out all the meaningless forms and contest report crap.  S?P Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here