News:

• March 28, 2024, 07:00:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IROC Stunt, Houston, Maybe?  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Richard Oliver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
    • RO-Jett Engines
IROC Stunt, Houston, Maybe?
« on: August 25, 2006, 07:30:45 AM »
Hey Guys, I am thinking of having a contest in Houston that will be a one design pre-prepared ARF. I have had such good luck with ARFs that I thought about getting 3-5 planes ready to fly, trimmed the same and have everyone fly the same planes. I have kicked around which planes and motors for a while and think I will go with the Brodak line. I am thinking the Oriental with a Brodak 40, or the Clown with a Brodak 25?40. I would prepare the planes and have them trimmed and ready to go for all of the contestants.
Dee Rice is still planning a Ringmaster Contest this comming spring and maybe that would be the time to do it. I also was thinking of making it a 2 part contest. Known and unknown. I have a whole book of maneuvers I have been drawing up over the last couple of years and would make an interesting schedule up to test your abilities. This would also have classes(Int., Adv. and Exp.) and would have maneuvers in the unknown according to your class level.
What do you guys think?

Richard Oliver

PS: for you non race fans IROC is car racing where all the drivers get "Identically prepared cars to race.
Richard Oliver

Offline Louis Rankin

• Commander
Re: IROC Stunt, Houston, Maybe?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 08:14:18 AM »
Richard,

I like the idea.  A Super Clown with a Brodak 25 would be a hoot.  Yes, sounds like a good event to tack onto the Ringmaster contest.  Perhaps the 1st - 3rd winners could take the ARFs home as prizes.

Louis Rankin
Somerville Tennessee
AMA 10859

Offline Chuck Feldman

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 08:38:07 AM »
j1 Richard, That is a great Idea. Your selection is good and the idea has many advantages. Just think no model to transport. Just get an airline ticket and go. Great thinking. I think the cost would be fair to even though the entry fee will include fuel sir charges. Keep up the good thoughts.

Chuck Feldman  ;D
Chuck Feldman
AMA 15850

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 10:10:13 AM »
Richard sounds like a great idea. I think it would be a hoot.  If you used the Super Clown it would go right along with the Ringmaster, didn't Matt design both of them.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2006, 10:49:06 AM »
Richard, like the way you think...  Great idea that would fit right in with the Ringmaster contest.. Might think about some of the Mirror pattern maneuvers if you are going to change the pattern.

Super Clown and a B 25 would be a great combo and not stretch the budget too far. Be prepared to make a small mod to the nose of the Super Clown. The spacing between motor mounts is set up for a Fox 35 and the B 25 isn't quite wide enough to fit.

Probably just me but I will admit that if the maneuver gets very complex, like the double vertical eight in the Mirror pattern I can't remember all the turns and wiggles long enough to fly the darn thing without really studying it before hand. I mean like going over it 15 times a day for 3 weeks and even then my mind goes blank when I have the handle in my hand.

If others are like me it will be almost imposible to see a maneuver for the first time on contest day and be able to fly it without crashing. My Super Clown was dorked 4 times when I was trying to learn the Mirror pattern and I still can't fly the complete pattern.

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2006, 11:13:42 AM »
Richerd,

A long time ago when I lived in St Louis, I came up with 3 unknown patterns, for a contest at Buder Park... Everyone chicken out.

The paper is yellowed.. I will send you a copy.

I still think it is a good idea.. Heck full size unlimited aerobatics has both known and unknown cumpulsary maneuvers. Why not us?

AMA 7544

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 01:14:53 PM »
Yeah, way to go Richard. I like it. More fun in the sun ! ! !
I think it is a great idea, it would be fun to watch too.
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 01:19:26 PM »
Years ago a bunch flew Dave Midgley's Ares at Westover....just changed handles...

At a GSCB event two years ago, nine flew my NOBLERARF ...it was a giggle....

The flaw with an IROC is that it might actually determine the best flyer....a no-no....now, if you had appearance points...

Offline Richard Oliver

• Lieutenant
    • RO-Jett Engines
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 08:17:05 PM »
Richard,

I like the idea.  A Super Clown with a Brodak 25 would be a hoot.  Yes, sounds like a good event to tack onto the Ringmaster contest.  Perhaps the 1st - 3rd winners could take the ARFs home as prizes.

That is certainly a thought. Or maybe a ARF kit with the engine of the same.
RO
Richard Oliver

Offline Richard Oliver

• Lieutenant
    • RO-Jett Engines
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 08:20:57 PM »
Richard, like the way you think...  Great idea that would fit right in with the Ringmaster contest.. Might think about some of the Mirror pattern maneuvers if you are going to change the pattern.

Super Clown and a B 25 would be a great combo and not stretch the budget too far. Be prepared to make a small mod to the nose of the Super Clown. The spacing between motor mounts is set up for a Fox 35 and the B 25 isn't quite wide enough to fit.

Probably just me but I will admit that if the maneuver gets very complex, like the double vertical eight in the Mirror pattern I can't remember all the turns and wiggles long enough to fly the darn thing without really studying it before hand. I mean like going over it 15 times a day for 3 weeks and even then my mind goes blank when I have the handle in my hand.

If others are like me it will be almost impossible to see a maneuver for the first time on contest day and be able to fly it without crashing. My Super Clown was dorked 4 times when I was trying to learn the Mirror pattern and I still can't fly the complete pattern.

That why the I,A,E classes. If you are going to be an expert and fly with "The big Boys" it should not be easy.  I also do not like maneuvers that look like squiggly lines in the sky. They will be well defined and judgable maneuvers.
RO
Richard Oliver

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 12:03:30 PM »
That why the I,A,E classes. If you are going to be an expert and fly with "The big Boys" it should not be easy.  I also do not like maneuvers that look like squiggly lines in the sky. They will be well defined and judgable maneuvers.
RO

Agreed. That is why the unknown is used in unlimited level aeroabtics. At those competitions, you will see the pilots practicing the manuevers with their hands and body motions before taking to the air.

A simpler "unknown" could be for intermediate os advanced.

Richard, The patterns I made up went in the mail to you this morning... Just food for thought.. might give you additional ideas.

AMA 7544

Offline Richard Oliver

• Lieutenant
    • RO-Jett Engines
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2006, 01:21:34 PM »
Thanks Tom, I will be on the look out for them. See you next week in Dallas?
Anyone else want to draw up some maneuvers and send them to me would be great!
Richard Oliver
Richard Oliver

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 08:45:29 AM »
Richard,

I have to work 7 to 7 Sat & Sun, I will try to stop by Fri or Sat. late evening.
AMA 7544

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 10:08:27 AM »
Richard would it not be ISOC instead of IROC

International Stunt Of Champions?  #^
AMA 12366

Offline Ironbomb

• AMA Member
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 10:47:17 AM »
Rich, I have been following this tread, and it is such a cool idea, it cant miss.

I hope you take this event on the road to the Midwest. Texas is cool, but far away.

Cant wait to see the first event, gonna be a huge hit  j1  y1

happy flying man,

Greg  8)
Beating the crap out of the ground, one airplane at a time

Greg Bossio
AMA 834382

Offline Richard Oliver

• Lieutenant
    • RO-Jett Engines
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 12:51:45 PM »
One of the reasons I was thinking of an Oriental was to keep it a take apart plane. Maybe the experts will fly the Oriental, or maybe even the 3D ARF R/C type planes I have been converting to C/L.
Keep the ideas coming!! Robert you are right, IROC was just to carry a point of the Idea. I would like to call it something very much like your suggestion.
If the planes are take apart they can be shipped to the next contest if need be.
RO
Richard Oliver

Offline Warhawk

• Major
  • New Pilot
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 04:41:57 AM »
I like the way you think and act!

j1 A great idea.  Count me in.  Maybe include a wheelchair bound category of competition.  **)

Hawk
Hoyt Hawkins

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here