News:

• May 05, 2024, 06:19:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel Can Collectors  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fuel Can Collectors
« on: May 11, 2018, 05:56:09 AM »
One more I need for my collection

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Re: Fuel Can Collectors
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 06:52:10 AM »
The girl or the guitar? VD~
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 07:02:37 AM »

At least they didn't ruin a Missile Mist can.

Novel? Yup. Effective? I dunno'... seeing as I haven't tried to play the instruments.

As for their music: To me it has a kind of a southern blues rock sound mixed in with significant wind noise, said wind noise not the bands fault, obviously!

As a bassist, I can't help but wonder what kind of balance the bass has that the chap is playing. Bass necks are heavy. A poorly balanced bass (i.e. neck heavy) is distracting to play, for you're also having to hold the bass neck UP as well as fretting the notes and navigating the fret board. I've owned a bad bass or two over my 50+ years of playing bass.

Searching to find my new place in this hobby!

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 07:07:06 AM »
She has sorta taken the Blues world by storm. It ain't southern blues rock, it's Blues. I'm pretty certain that R.L. Burnside wrote the song.

Offline Terrence Durrill

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 11:26:14 AM »
         I like this one better............to each his own.     
fasten seat belts, turn rotor, pull pitch and hold on.       y1      H^^

Don't forget to go Full Screen and turn up the audio.

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 11:47:32 AM »
I spent nearly 3 decades of my life doing just about every thing in this video on UH-1s HUEYS and AH-1 Cobras

Never had seen this video.... love the Stones and the 4+ minuets of nostalgia

and then you just poke around the other similar You tube side links for hours of more nostalgia
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 12:43:34 PM »

As a bassist, I can't help but wonder what kind of balance the bass has that the chap is playing. Bass necks are heavy. A poorly balanced bass (i.e. neck heavy) is distracting to play, for you're also having to hold the bass neck UP as well as fretting the notes and navigating the fret board. I've owned a bad bass or two over my 50+ years of playing bass.
[/quote]

Andre,
Note that the strap goes up to the top of the neck, not just to the top of the can. This helps things immensely. (Only 38 years of bass playing)

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 12:59:29 PM »
Good eye Bill! That black strap on black curtain slipped right past me!

I also wonder how comfortable the thick body would be? Just doesn't seem like it would be very natural feeling to me. However, Ron Wood used to play a guitar that used a toilet seat... so whatever!

Andre

Offline Bruce Shipp

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »
You can get your own. You may need to supply your own can as the current stock does not list fuel cans👍

https://www.bohemianguitars.com

Offline Bill Mohrbacher

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 01:19:00 PM »
And the man who may have started the bizzaro guitar fad, BO DIDDLEY.  I used to see him in person at the Villa Lounge in Aliquippa.  I think he started playing his red box maybe 1954 or so.

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 01:20:19 PM »
Terrance:

Thanks for the link.

Fredvon:

Appreciate your service... I really do. Thanks.

I don't know why, but film clips from the Vietnam war really get to me. I mean, really get to me.

Even though my number wasn't called, thus I didn't go, it was "my" war that I lived during. Every night the news channels would post the number of US and VC fatalities that day/week, whatever. It was ever before me. For a short time I only had to live with the realization that on any given week I could have a draft letter in the mail box. (I was classified 1A. The draft lottery changed all that.) Though I didn't get the call, I had many friends that did. All of them were changed by being in combat in Vietnam. For sure, it left its mark on them mentally, and for some it also left its mark physically (injuries). Some of my friends didn't come back. I have since almost carried a feeling of guilt for not being over there doing my part. They also carried some unseen scars on the way they were treated by the general populace upon returning home. Such a tragic time, such a tragic war.

Vietnam, and the issues at home concerning the war during that time, was an ugly time in American history.

Andre

Offline Dan Berry

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 07:18:45 PM »
Colloquially, these would be 'cigar box' guitars.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 08:13:35 PM »
I shoulda thought of that when a local pro asked me to build him a really light bass because of his very bad back.  He does week long gigs and really suffers.  I fixed him up, but could have done so more quickly with the fuel can, or other kind of can for that matter.  Here's what I came up with, and have more orders already.  Must be a lot of bassists with bad backs around here!
And yes, it does require the strap go to the headstock.

Offline Paul Wescott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 11:40:03 PM »
I shoulda thought of that when a local pro asked me to build him a really light bass because of his very bad back.  He does week long gigs and really suffers.  I fixed him up, but could have done so more quickly with the fuel can, or other kind of can for that matter.  Here's what I came up with, and have more orders already.  Must be a lot of bassists with bad backs around here!
And yes, it does require the strap go to the headstock.

Very Nice end product Will!  And Congratulations on the follow-up orders.

Paul W.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 07:26:35 PM »
   It looks like her guitar is made from a K&B 500 can, which was 10% nitro I believe?? Maybe 15%?/ Neat use for an old can!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 10:44:07 AM »
Very Nice end product Will!  And Congratulations on the follow-up orders.

Paul W.

Thanks Paul!

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »
Will:

If I might echo Paul W: Nice work!

Samantha Fish:

Spent a bit of time watching some YouTube posts of Samantha performing. She seems to be the real deal, and seems she can lay down some pretty mean blues rock (not straight blues to me). Even her slide work sound a bit "different" (in a good way).

She's the real deal!

Andre

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 04:21:06 PM »
I have seen her perform twice and each was a pleasure!  She is the real deal! She sells herself and makes  believers of her audience.   TS

Offline Skip Chernoff

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 08:56:55 PM »
That's some good time music right there! Yeah Baby.......but they are not getting their hands on my Francisco can ....no way!

Offline Andre Ming

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 11:38:45 AM »
Looking at some of Samantha's YouTube's... she's really grown as a performer/entertainer and musician. Their timing is great and her (as well as the bassist) "stage presence" is excellent. They appear to ENJOY what they're doing (important as a performer) as well as draw the crowd in and get them excited as well.

Allow me to share this video of a more recent performance (compared to the OP video) of what appears to be their opening song and it will illustrate what I'm trying to say. Oh, and in this clip she's playing another tin can contraption... this time a FOUR stringed instrument. (With slide technique no less!)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here