News:

• April 19, 2024, 12:54:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Inspirational  (Read 996 times)

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
Inspirational
« on: April 01, 2023, 12:38:55 AM »

Robert Williamson's accomplishments in the world of model aircraft aerobatics are nothing short of remarkable. Despite being completely blind, he has won several championships through the years, often beating out pilots with no such disabilities. In doing so, Robert brings to the forefront the idea that limitations exist only in the minds of those who choose to be limited.

Robert lives in the small town near Tasmania, where he frequently takes part in local competitions. Robert was born with a condition called macular degeneration, making him blind in his right eye and almost 100% in the left. He cannot see anything that is directly in front of him, and his peripheral vision is virtually zero.

In his early years, Robert was fascinated with airplanes, and he used to build paper planes with his father. This fascination made him more curious about planes and how they fly, which led to him trying his hand at building model airplanes. Initially, the building process was a challenge, but Robert soon figured out how to overcome the hurdle using his sense of touch to create a pattern of small drops of glue on the balsa sheets, creating a sort of braille to assist him in the build process.

Winning control line model aircraft aerobatics competitions presents a unique set of challenges, given the level of skill and experience required to fly the planes. Competitors must be able to calculate distances and angles, have a vast knowledge of the dynamics of flying planes, and, most importantly, have a level of discipline that allows them to perform at their best. These attributes combined would mean that someone without visual acuity would be unable to compete successfully. However, Robert has broken all barriers, and he says he does not allow his blindness to hinder his ability to compete.

To compete in these high-stress tournaments requires not just impressive plane building skills, but also incredible piloting abilities. For those with sight, the challenge lies in practicing all the maneuvers repeatedly, followed by the nerves that come with flying in front of judges and spectators. For Robert, the blind man sculpting a model aircraft from the braille dots of glue, this process starts from the building process.

Robert's building methods, which involve gluing the balsa sheets using a pattern of braille dots, present one such challenge. His peers believe that the tactile nature of his building method limits how many planes he can create within a given period leading to him not competing as much. In a competition producing as close to flawless planes as possible is an essential part of the process, this could put him at a severe disadvantage. However, Robert has overcome this obstacle and is now building planes at a faster, more accurate rate than before.

Furthermore, Robert's lack of vision means he can't use visual markers when flying, However, Robert has succeeded in practicing the moves by relying entirely on the sounds of the plane and his feel.

Robert Williamson is now an accomplished model aircraft aerobatics competitor, having won several tournaments through the years. He has been flying planes for as long as he can remember. What sets him apart is that he has been creating and piloting the planes entirely by touch despite being blind.

Over the years, Robert has continued to perfect his building and flying process, modifying his planes to suit his specific needs. He can determine the different parts of the plane by the weight, rigidity, and texture of the materials, which helps him identify them.

What makes Robert’s story even more impressive is his ability to fly the airplanes he has built, even without the ability to see the ground. He has no concept of where the ground is, and some might assume that this would lead to him crashing frequently. But for Robert, his lack of vision in this regard is actually an advantage. It enables him to fly with no fear of the ground, and he is able to perform maneuvers based on his arm position and feel, giving him an unparalleled sense of freedom and control.

While Robert's lack of vision might seem to be a limiting factor, he has learned to harness his other senses, allowing him to fly the aircraft with ease. He cannot see the ground, but he can feel the changes in the speed, airflow, and the shifting of the plane as it flies through the air. With these skills, he can intuitively guide the plane to perform intricate maneuvers that require an exceptional level of skill and knowledge, leaving spectators in awe and judges amazed.

Robert’s outstanding achievements have left his competitors in awe. There were concerns that Robert's lack of vision would affect his ability to fly competition aerobatics, but he has adjusted his control line handle response curve to make it easier to fly. He has also excelled in executing tricky maneuvers and has gone from strength to strength, even winning local competitions and inspiring model airplane enthusiasts worldwide.

Commitment and hard work are essential components of Robert’s success, but his wife’s contribution is invaluable. Being blind, he needs his wife's assistance in choosing the right colors and designs for his planes. This underscores the profundity of his dedication to the craft, making allowances for his blindness to create something beyond what he can singularly achieve.

Robert’s performances and success have left no doubt that, with hard work, dedication, and an indomitable spirit, anything is indeed possible. Robert Williamson is a fine example of what is possible when one chooses not to be limited by their apparent "disabilities." His story is a source of inspiration, not just for those who aspire to model aircraft aerobatics, but for anyone who believes that their limitations exist only in their minds alone.

In conclusion, Robert Williamson's love and passion for control line aerobatics is indeed remarkable. He proves that with hard work, determination, and a will to succeed, anything is possible. His story is a source of encouragement for people that despite any challenges and obstacles they may face, they too can accomplish great things. Robert Williamson, the blind model airplane aerobatics champion, proves that a disability does not define a person's potential.

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Inspirational
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 05:15:12 AM »
That’s pretty amazing! Oddly written, but amazing. I’ve been using the fact that I no longer see very well as an excuse to not build much, but I guess I can’t really lean on that now. I wonder how many planes he went through to learn to fly? I probably built 6 wings for a Jr Ring learning to fly upside down!
But the first time I get beat in competition by a blind man is the day I take up golf.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 09:31:03 AM »
This is a great story and proves if you want to do some thing it can be done.  How about a picture of the man and his plane. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Gerald Arana

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 10:01:30 AM »
April fool!  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Good story, until I realized what day it is.

Jerry

Offline Clint Ormosen

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 10:09:47 AM »

Jerry

Is it? Seemed totally plausible with enough effort.
-Clint-

AMA 559593
Finding new and innovated ways to screw up the pattern since 1993

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2023, 10:15:47 AM »

Jerry

No, true every word. Many of us met Bob in 2016 world champs in Perth, where he flew the calibration flight for judges.
He could easily place in top 5 in your Nats. L

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2023, 02:46:19 PM »
In fact " Rob" as he liked to be called, tells everyone that his name stands for " Rely on Brains "

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline PJ Rowland

• Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2023, 05:37:19 AM »
Ok so this probably didnt get everyone..

I figured creating braille via dots of glue on the balsa would be fanciful enough.

On a second note : this was created mostly via the A.I system ChatGTP3 with only a few prompts.
For those whom haven't used it its revolutionary, and I've had many conversations about stunt design theory with the system, you would be surprised what it can do and what it knows.

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 08:31:16 AM »
        Not all that unusual. Lew Woolard used to fly a tandem stunt routine with a gentleman named Mike Tallman, I think it was. Mr. Tallman was legally blind. They were featured in an article in Model Airplane News along with the model they flew, and sorta WW-I-ish looking airplane of Lew's design. You guys from the Wichita area ought to be familiar with them.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2023, 09:22:22 AM »
I did not know that about Mike as he would pilotb race planes and carrier also. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2023, 09:58:51 AM »
Mike Tallman was not legally blind. He flew combat at the nationals level for years.
AMA 10663

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2023, 09:37:11 PM »
Mike Tallman was not legally blind. He flew combat at the nationals level for years.

I wonder who I have him mixed up with? I just dug out the "Two for the Show" article in February 1976 M.A.N. magazine about their routine and the models they flew, and I thought it was mentioned in there. I checked the article in the "Round and Round" column that had the letter that Gary Frost wrote to the editors about the shows that Lew and Mike flew in here during baseball and football games, I'm sure I read it and even made copies of the article for somebody about some one flying tandem and one having impaired vision!! I even remembered Mike Tallman's name without having to look it up!! It sure is hell to get old!! I'll run across the article again some time while looking for something else and it won't make any difference any more!!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Brian Gardner

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2023, 06:23:57 AM »
That's awesome

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2023, 08:37:08 AM »
You'll never top my Electric Dreadnought post.

Derek

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2023, 09:57:38 AM »
I was told by some of the locals in Dallas, that Woolard and Tallman flew a formation routine with two Midwest Profile Mustangs.
Norm
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Gary Mondry

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2023, 11:47:10 AM »
I’ve never heard that, but it’s certainly possible. When I moved here to Wichita and first met Mike in 1979 he used to occasionally bring a Midwest sized profile Mustang in Swiss markings (!?) with an ST.46 to the local field. Lew hadn’t started flying again yet and it was some years before he did. We sure miss them both around here.
AMA 10663

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here