General control line discussion > Open Forum

Insides and outsides uneven.

(1/5) > >>

Shorts,David:
So, my Oriental used to be electric and had very crisp insides and outsides. Then I converted it to glow. Now I have overly tight insides and mushier outsides. I may have some down engine incidence?  I'm not sure why, but if I angle the engine up will it make outsides sharper and insides softer? Ideas on fixing insides and outsides?

Dave_Trible:
David my thought is that you may have changed handles or handle adjustments.  In any case there lies the cure.  Lengthen or pull out your top line just a little and see how it feels.  Also individual line spacing will adjust for that if you think the level adjustment seems OK.  If the insides are too tight bring the top (up) line in closer to the center of your handle or the down line further out.  There wouldn't be too much else about changing power that should affect turning bias unless the CG itself changed enough to make a turning bias more noticeable.

Dave

Dennis Toth:
Dave,
In addition to what DaveS said, when it was electric where you using pusher props? This would cause softer inside and tighter outside from the torque reaction. When you converted to IC the torque is reversed and the conditions you describe would occur and retrim would be needed. Also the feel may be different because of leadout line position and if the rear leadout is up or down as it relates to the torque reaction.

Best,   DennisT

Motorman:
Yes, the thrust line would be my first guess. Give it a little more down thrust.

Dan McEntee:
   Round up three Robart incidence meters. One for the wing, one for the stab, and one for the engine. Some of the older ones don't have the bracket to attach it to an engine. I take the mounting bracket off one of the meters and just set it on a flat stab. I clamp the model in one of those old plastic WorkMate bench vises made by Black and Decker and get the fuselage set where the wing meter reads zero. Then check the engine setting. I set my thrust lines to one or one and a half degree down thrust and the same right thrust. The wing should still be zero and the stab I like to set at one degree positive. Those are the settings that the late Bob Whitely called out in his article "Things That Always Work" that was published in Stunt news years ago. You might not be able to do anything about the stab unless you cut it loose, but it should still be at leas zero-zero to the wing. When satisfied that everything is where you want it, then be sure of balance and test fly.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version