News:

• April 25, 2024, 07:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Inside and outside loops observation  (Read 1427 times)

Offline aba183210

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Inside and outside loops observation
« on: May 14, 2016, 02:39:50 PM »
Good afternoon.

I have been flying the electric Baby Clown and flies solidly on a 6 x 5.5 prop, a 650 mah 3S battery, and a motor to match.

I have noted that the inside loops are good but am now in the process of learning the figure 8.

When I attempted to do the outside loop part of the 8, I noted that, even with full down, the outside part was far wider, almost going to a vertical 8.

What could be causing this? I do have equal throw in the elevators, and the plane is vertically balanced as well.

Thanks.

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Inside and outside loops observation
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 03:14:34 PM »
You could have up thrust or up elevator built into the stab.

MM

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 07:04:12 PM »
It could be handle bias
it could be that the control horn on the elevator is biased one way or another
it could be that the bellcrank is not centered with respect to elevator neutral
it could be a thrust line problem but this is an ARF right? so typically they are fairly close
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 12:03:46 AM »
Assuming that the elevator horn is on the bottom, it's not pushrod flex, so it's likely one of the above.  There is some chance that both wingtips are warped (washed out) so that the net effect would be some degree of upthrust. It doesn't take much up or downthrust to make a big difference. Also possible that there is a fairly slight wing warp that reduces line tension on outside loops and thereby merely reduces the control authority (since the controls are powered by line tension).  A lot of subtle stuff goes on with controline models, especially when attempting tricks.  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 11:05:40 AM »
Some good ideas above. Perhaps you could post a picture taken from the side of the airplane and maybe one from the back.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline aba183210

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 11:40:06 AM »
I adjusted the handle bias as well as the elevator travel and line spacing. Of course, I also checked for warps and thrust angle.

I added just a degree of down thrust.

I flew today and I gathered all the courage to attempt the figure 8 without the presence of my instructor (I agreed to see him again when I completed the Sig Banshee). The maneuver came much better but I know I will now need to practice it to get more confidence. I did the maneuver several times but then it got too windy for the baby Clown.

Also, I think that the Clown can use a more powerful motor. This is not to put the seller down, but the recommendations given (2s 850 mah battery with the Arrowind motor to match it and a 6 x 5.5 prop) are too slow. I changed to 3S 610 mah and a 6 x 4 EP and flight is acceptable but still a bit slow).

In contrast, my baby Ringmaster, equipped with a Scorpion 2205/1585 kV, a 6 x 4 EP, and a 610 mAh 3s does very well. I tried a  6 x 5.5 but, even though the horizontal speed is faster, the thrust is less than the one given by the 6 x 4. In addition, there is no 6 x 5.5 EP.

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 01:16:08 PM »

as asked is the push rod on top or bottom  instead of pampa 8's do some lazy 8's until u get your confidence back
rad racer

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here