General control line discussion > Open Forum

ink lines first used

(1/4) > >>

fred cesquim:
is there any consensus about when first ink lines has been used on controliners?
i have made  this continental years ago and used, but while talking to a friend we agreed that probably itīs not contemporary of the design.

Ted Fancher:
Now "THAT" is one cute stunter!

Looks a bit like a cutie-pie new born puppy anxious to grow up into its feet!  I love it!

Ted

fred cesquim:

--- Quote from: Ted Fancher on May 20, 2022, 11:52:49 AM ---Now "THAT" is one cute stunter!

Looks a bit like a cutie-pie new born puppy anxious to grow up into its feet!  I love it!

Ted

--- End quote ---
thank you Ted, what an honor!
De Bolt design is a cutie indeed! unfortunately i have chosen a light max 20 and the short nose demanded a heavy engine of old days, so a lot of lead has to be added, still can do some basic stunt with her.

Dan McEntee:
A really nice DeBolt Continental!! That's a late 50's t0 60's design and I think ink line were used back then. The pens for their application had been in use for many, many years t6o that point and I'm sure some enterprising modeler thought they would make "swell" decorations a derails on any model and not weigh anything. Actual use may have been on free flight scale models to represent panel lines  and control surfaces.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Dennis Adamisin:

--- Quote from: fred cesquim on May 20, 2022, 11:18:15 AM ---is there any consensus about when first ink lines has been used on controliners?
i have made  this continental years ago and used, but while talking to a friend we agreed that probably itīs not contemporary of the design.

--- End quote ---

Hi Fred
First off, I agree with everyone else that your Continental is GORGEOUS!

In Jim Kostecky's article on the Formula S he mentions that at the 1964 US NATs, George Aldrich, who was the event director and Appearance points judge mentioned something about how he gave extra points in the Realism category to someone who had drawn trim tab lines and wrote "NO STEP" on his airplane.  The one of the flyers lost to another by something like 1/2 point.  Did not take much to figure out that if we all started detailing our airplanes with panel lines, service lettering and such that we might get an extra point or two that would help our final placing!

Thus, my unscientific conclusion puts the timing of the highly detailed line and lettering work some time around the mid 1960's. For the next few years it got kind of crazy!

Oddly enough, when the Realism and Originality categories for appearance were eliminated in 1973, lettering (which was a pain!) quickly disappeared, but most folks continued applying the line work - because it was pretty easy and it looked good!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version