General control line discussion > Open Forum

ink lines first used

<< < (2/4) > >>

GallopingGhostler:
Nice looking Continental, Fred, well done finish, really sharp looking.

In high school in the late 1960's, early 1970's, I read from either Walt Musciano's or Keith Laumer's book about designing and building flying models, on how to rule lines using either thinned dope or India ink and a ruling pen.

First airplane I ruled control surfaces on was an 18" hollow log Scientific Cessna 180, then a rubber powered Guillow 18" Fokker DVIII lined in India ink after I sealed the entire plane's tissue covering with thinned sprayed clear dope. Those ruling pens were tricky, but I managed to do a decent job.

On the CL jobs I'd protect the lines with brushed Pactra, Testors or SIG fuel proofer. After, at times I've used drafting chart tape, some 1/16" wide, 1/32" wide. Then seal the tape with fuel proofer. Been a while since I did, don't know if still available. Lately haven't been big on details. Lined or no lined, they crash the same.

John Park:
In the late 1950s, when I was twelve or thirteen, I was shown how to depict fake ailerons etc. on C/L models we wanted to look vaguely scale.  We used a good old-fashioned draughtsman's ruling pen, and Humbrol enamel - the point of using Humbrol rather than dope was that if you messed it up (quite a common occurrence), you could wipe it straight off with white spirit on a rag, and try again. 

fred cesquim:

--- Quote from: Dan McEntee on May 20, 2022, 02:27:16 PM ---A really nice DeBolt Continental!! That's a late 50's t0 60's design and I think ink line were used back then. The pens for their application had been in use for many, many years t6o that point and I'm sure some enterprising modeler thought they would make "swell" decorations a derails on any model and not weigh anything. Actual use may have been on free flight scale models to represent panel lines  and control surfaces.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

--- End quote ---
good information! so probably may has been used back in the late 40īs, not commom, but plausible

fred cesquim:

--- Quote from: John Park on May 21, 2022, 02:27:26 AM ---In the late 1950s, when I was twelve or thirteen, I was shown how to depict fake ailerons etc. on C/L models we wanted to look vaguely scale.  We used a good old-fashioned draughtsman's ruling pen, and Humbrol enamel - the point of using Humbrol rather than dope was that if you messed it up (quite a common occurrence), you could wipe it straight off with white spirit on a rag, and try again.

--- End quote ---
that would be a challenge, congrats for doing it so young and with such hard to work tool

fred cesquim:

--- Quote from: Dennis Adamisin on May 20, 2022, 07:02:05 PM ---Hi Fred
First off, I agree with everyone else that your Continental is GORGEOUS!

In Jim Kostecky's article on the Formula S he mentions that at the 1964 US NATs, George Aldrich, who was the event director and Appearance points judge mentioned something about how he gave extra points in the Realism category to someone who had drawn trim tab lines and wrote "NO STEP" on his airplane.  The one of the flyers lost to another by something like 1/2 point.  Did not take much to figure out that if we all started detailing our airplanes with panel lines, service lettering and such that we might get an extra point or two that would help our final placing!

Thus, my unscientific conclusion puts the timing of the highly detailed line and lettering work some time around the mid 1960's. For the next few years it got kind of crazy!

Oddly enough, when the Realism and Originality categories for appearance were eliminated in 1973, lettering (which was a pain!) quickly disappeared, but most folks continued applying the line work - because it was pretty easy and it looked good!

--- End quote ---
thanks Dennis! this is real information published, and makes all sense. i am convinced that 50īs planes are elegible after reading such good responses here. In brazil, i believe they became popular in the early 70īs. My personal contact was in 1985 when a guy showed up with a gieseke nobler on ink lines, immediatly i started to use

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version