News:

• May 23, 2024, 12:52:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reminiscing  (Read 987 times)

Online Mike Griffin

• 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Reminiscing
« on: December 29, 2022, 05:58:41 PM »
I turned 75 today and I realize there are those of you on here who are older.  As I was getting dressed today to go out for lunch with Linda, I looked in the mirror at the crepey skin, wrinkles and the turkey neck and thought, whatever happened to that athlete and sturdy build that once was.  I can remember flying with my dad at the local airport in Mayfield, Kentucky when I was 12 but cannot remember what I had for breakfast.  Many classmates and friends have already left the planet who were younger than me and is some cases, much younger and I have to thank GOD for letting me be here for three quarters of a century.

I know nothing ever stays the same but with the deterioration of morals, values and integrity of our society I worry for my grandchildren and probably think I will be leaving this world at the right time.  Who knows what this country will look like in another 50 years at the rate we are going.  I am not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. 

I know there is nothing unique about these thoughts, but life is short....very short in relation to time.  Our lifespan is just a spark in time.  I tried to make the best of it and be the best person I could be but like all humans, often fall short.

I have made many friends on this forum and through the hobby and that will never be a regret. 

I want to wish you all the best in 2023 and want you all to know how much I value your friendship although there are many of you I have not had the pleasure of meeting in person but feel we are good friends regardless.

May GOD bless you all now and in the future.

Mike Griffin

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: Reminiscing
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 07:26:00 PM »
  H^^
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 11:29:28 AM by EddyR »
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 08:05:10 PM »
Mike,

Very well said, I too turned 75 only several weeks ago and my mirror reflects a similar image. God, family and friends are what life is all about. I often look back to what life has given me, the hardships, joys and the accomplishments. I can honestly say I am now the happiest I've ever been.

Happy New Year to all,

Steve

Offline Bill Morell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 06:48:11 AM »
I appreciate everything you said Mike. I just turned 69 last month so a youngster compared to some on here. Taking care of ourselves is a priority. A little over a year ago I crashed here at home and ended up in the ICU for a few days. I was overweight and eating wrong. My blood sugar was 1300 on arrival and I should have been dead. I set a new record for that hospital as their previous high was 800. I don't know how I survived that. I'm Type 2 Diabetic now. I started walking every day. I have now walked off 62 lbs.and feel so much better. I had to shoot insulin for a couple of months but they took me off when my numbers improved. Indeed life is short and seems to pick up speed every year. Happy New Year to all and I hope all will have a very blessed new year.

Bill Morell
It wasn't that you could and others couldn't, its that you did and others didn't.
Vietnam 72-73
  Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 07:35:27 AM »
75?  Heck, I've got underwear older than that.  In fact, I am wearing it now!
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 01:04:58 PM »
MIKE GRIFFIN

Thank you Mike for your touching and insightful words.

I have a couple of thoughts.

As I grow younger-Ha - I realise and appreciate things much more. If you have a good thing going, grab it with both hands and run like hell. Defend and guard it with all your power. Why?

THE BETTER THINGS ARE- THE SHORTER THEY LAST!

It might sound a bit perverse, but the cosmos is a tough place and old age is NOT for sissys.

Another thought. Progress brings a change in the spirit of man.

I think the biggest mistake we can make is to approach life as if the opposite was true.

Like you Mike and many of our Stunthangar family I'm sure really appreciate the friendship that flows through this sport and it's fellowship. It is far from being silly old farts playing with toy aeroplanes. It is rich and layered with all sorts of challenges and rewards.Nothing like it on the planet.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 02:28:49 PM »
Mike I appreciate your thoughts.  I just turned 81 and on that day I remembered my Dad sating he was living on borrowed time.   I asked how and his response was read the Bible New Testament.  If we treat our parents good we can expect 3 score and 10 years of life.  He lacked 2 weeks of making 70.

I wonder how much longer as the light of my life right now are 2 great grand daughters.  One is living with us as well as her mother.  The model planes in the past are what motivated to try harder after I had my motorcycle wreck.  The the stroke scare in Texas made me change diet and habits to lose the weight I have lost.  My legs and knees have been problematic most of my life also.  But I tell myself you are going to fly again.

In retrospect I am thankful that GOD didn't give up on me as I did at one point in my life.  But then Jesus stepped in and woke me up.   Oh I have to appologize to him and ask for giveness once in awhile. 

Now for an early Happy New Year I hope to be repeating this again on December 31, 2023 to all on this forum. D>K H^^ #^ #^ #^ #^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 04:10:44 PM »
"I turned 75 today and I realize there are those of you on here who are older."

A lousy thing to have to face up to.  I found it Last Year when I went into the hospital and ended up staying for a month!  Not by bottle of beer(I prefer a sip of whisky any way.)

I forgot exactly when I got out, but I sure had the stuffing knocked out of me.  It took until recently before I really started to feel better, though still not lively.
I could barely walk to the john without holding on to thing.  Once I could get on my feet regularly I started walking, despite the cold weather starting to blow in.  Eventually I walked around the block across the street- 2+ miles around and a 90ft climb and run back down.

If you are prone to twisted joints, aches and pains in joints, hard time walking up stairs there is some help available- shoes, support socks, walking tip toe,  etc.  Mary and I are quite lucky that I retired from Hershey Foods.  They rewarded me pretty damn well!  These days it seems like lucking out that way is unlikely now, though.

Phil Cartier
717-566-3810
phil Cartier

Offline Warren Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 04:20:03 PM »
I turned 75 today and I realize there are those of you on here who are older.  As I was getting dressed today to go out for lunch with Linda, I looked in the mirror at the crepey skin, wrinkles and the turkey neck and thought, whatever happened to that athlete and sturdy build that once was.  I can remember flying with my dad at the local airport in Mayfield, Kentucky when I was 12 but cannot remember what I had for breakfast.  Many classmates and friends have already left the planet who were younger than me and is some cases, much younger and I have to thank GOD for letting me be here for three quarters of a century.

I know nothing ever stays the same but with the deterioration of morals, values and integrity of our society I worry for my grandchildren and probably think I will be leaving this world at the right time.  Who knows what this country will look like in another 50 years at the rate we are going.  I am not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. 

I know there is nothing unique about these thoughts, but life is short....very short in relation to time.  Our lifespan is just a spark in time.  I tried to make the best of it and be the best person I could be but like all humans, often fall short.

I have made many friends on this forum and through the hobby and that will never be a regret. 

I want to wish you all the best in 2023 and want you all to know how much I value your friendship although there are many of you I have not had the pleasure of meeting in person but feel we are good friends regardless.

May GOD bless you all now and in the future.

Mike Griffin

Well said Mike, my feelings exactly.
W.W.

Offline Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 07:54:45 AM »
I concur, well said Mike Griffin.  Thanks for posting

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2022, 09:45:38 AM »
As I believe the American poet George Oppen once said while looking in the mirror in his later years: "What a strange thing to happen to a little boy."  Ain't that the truth!
Jim Vigani

Offline Jim Kraft

• Admiral
  • AMA78415
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2022, 10:52:34 AM »
I turned 83 in November 30 22. I still think I can do all the things I use to do until I try to do them. LOL. I am so grateful that I still have my wife of 63 years and for many other blessings in this life. Of course, eternity is forever. John 3:16-18.

I started building and flying models at age 7, and have kept a passion for it all my life. I still fly a little at my granddaughters farm which is only about ten miles away.

I grew up during the ignition era, and spent many Sunday afternoons in Swope Park KS City watching all the guys flying. My folks had to drag me home kicking and screaming.

I think that is why I still love ignition engines. My wife says I have to many. I say that is impossible. LOL.

Any way, if I had known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself. I spent the last 25 years of my working life as a trouble shooter for a petroleum pipeline. I did a lot of dumb things that almost destroyed my back. To proud to ask for help. Why do we do stupid things?

Do not tell me you don't. Anyway, it is nice to know there are others out there who are still going through these changes that come with old age. They are inevitable. Sooner or later it happens. It just takes me longer to do many things. Part of this life. I still ride my Harley on the nice days and play my guitar, and take my wife out for a lunch date almost weekly. So life is still good. I have a lot to be thankful for. Mostly that I have lived during the best days. We are fortunate to have been born in this country during a time of freedom which we are losing at a rapid rate.

I bought my first Harley, a 1942 Flat head "45" when I was 14. No one cared that I rode it all over town without a tag.

Jim Kraft

Offline John Carrodus

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2022, 11:34:56 AM »
I must say I'm absolutely tickled pink by the wonderful stories running in the thread. Wonderful uplifting and touching stuff.Q- Why has it taken a lifetime for some of us eg me- to eventually smell the Nitro and wake up! Ha, More please!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here