News:

• April 26, 2024, 02:51:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: In need of a picture I can't find  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Gary Dowler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
In need of a picture I can't find
« on: August 12, 2019, 05:44:41 AM »
My PT-26 scale project continues along its merry way. On the underside of the cowl is a semi circular air deflector protecting an opening of some manner.
Try as I might, I cannot find anything, picture or detailed drawing, that shows clearly what is behind this shield. I've probably looked at 500 pictures since yesterday, nothing. A few show a little bit, but not much and from too far away.

Does anyone have any reference that shows what's behind this shield ? 

Gary
Profanity is the crutch of the illiterate mind

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: In need of a picture I can't find
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 06:27:24 AM »
That opening is the air outlet for the cowling. The fairing keeps debris out of the cowl, and probably keeps outside air from entering and messing up the airflow through the cowl. I believe the only thing that comes out of there is an oil drain tube.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 07:01:27 AM »
That opening is the air outlet for the cowling. The fairing keeps debris out of the cowl, and probably keeps outside air from entering and messing up the airflow through the cowl. I believe the only thing that comes out of there is an oil drain tube.
Bill, thanks for the response. That's more info than I had. Now I just need a picture showing it.

Offline pat king

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • PDK LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 07:08:58 AM »
Gary,
I don't know if these will help or not.

Pat
Pat King
Monee, IL

AMA 168941

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 07:19:08 AM »
Mark Lanterman @ Airborne Media has an excellent photo pack on the PT-26. There is one image showing everything you seek. Given that Mark has invested his resources to offer this product / service to the modelling community, I am not able to provide a copy. He charges $15.95 for the digital download. You will not be disappointed.

https://www.airbornemedia.com/store/collection/pt-26(fh842)/index.htm
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Joe Bowman

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »
Thanks Bob, you just made me spend my ice cream money for some airplane pictures. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 08:46:07 AM »
Thanks Bob, you just made me spend my ice cream money for some airplane pictures. ;D ;D ;D

I aim to please!
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 08:56:07 AM »
Back to the question at hand.

It seems that Gary's request has dropped him into the nether world of Scale. A quick scan of several different PT-26 photos reveals that the exact detail of this feature varies from plane to plane.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 10:09:54 AM »
Back to the question at hand.

It seems that Gary's request has dropped him into the nether world of Scale. A quick scan of several different PT-26 photos reveals that the exact detail of this feature varies from plane to plane.
Indeed. The exact prototype I'm following is owned by a museum in canada. A museum that has never seen fit to respond to either of two emails I've sent with requests for information.
It's a beautiful blue and yellow plane with the name Spirit of Little Norway on the nose. Can't miss it.
I'd upload pics, but since Tinypic is no longer functioning I need to find a new image hosting site to do that.

Gary

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 06:14:00 PM »
Mark Lanterman @ Airborne Media has an excellent photo pack on the PT-26. There is one image showing everything you seek. Given that Mark has invested his resources to offer this product / service to the modelling community, I am not able to provide a copy. He charges $15.95 for the digital download. You will not be disappointed.

https://www.airbornemedia.com/store/collection/pt-26(fh842)/index.htm
Just got email confirmation that their picture set has this detail shot.
Bob, thank you immensely. Set will be coming soon.

Gary

Offline Norm Faith Jr.

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
  • The physics of flight releases the soul.
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 08:25:41 PM »

You don't need no ice cream anyhow!  ;D
Circlepilot   AMA9376

Offline Joe Bowman

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 08:51:50 PM »
Hi Gary,  I can only think of three pipes or lines that would come out of the lower rear cowling opening.  A crankcase vent line, a fuel pump sump line and an engine oil drain line.  Hope this helps.  Some of the aircraft may have had the crankcase vent tube in a place a little harder to see. 

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 12:34:50 AM »
You might try Aircraft Documentation Services at

https://airdoc.biz/

He has thousands of 3-views and photo pacs, all in color.  His listing of photos of the PT-26 in blue and yellow are for the following aircraft:

USAAC #43-4456  36 photos

N48705   2 photos

Keith

Offline jim gevay

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 08:49:27 AM »
As was said before, it's an exit for the cooling air from the engine and accessories.
I believe the shape also creates a venture effect and the shape and size can effect the cooling temps a bit.

Here's a photo from a web site restoring a PT-19, which is pretty much the same as a PT-26.

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 09:58:41 AM »
As was said before, it's an exit for the cooling air from the engine and accessories.
I believe the shape also creates a venture effect and the shape and size can effect the cooling temps a bit.

Here's a photo from a web site restoring a PT-19, which is pretty much the same as a PT-26.

Actually, that IS a PT-26.
Notice the canopy.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

Offline jim gevay

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 11:06:56 AM »
I forgot which web site I was on researching photos. I was only looking at the firewall details.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 06:14:17 PM »
Indeed. The exact prototype I'm following is owned by a museum in canada. A museum that has never seen fit to respond to either of two emails I've sent with requests for information.
It's a beautiful blue and yellow plane with the name Spirit of Little Norway on the nose. Can't miss it.
I'd upload pics, but since Tinypic is no longer functioning I need to find a new image hosting site to do that.

Gary

If you know where that museum in Canada is located, there's a pretty good chance that we know somebody who could & would get you the pictures you need of that exact airplane. Alberta Controline Flying Club has a pretty long reach, in addition to Stunt Hangar and PAMPA!  y1 Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 11:29:02 PM »
If you know where that museum in Canada is located, there's a pretty good chance that we know somebody who could & would get you the pictures you need of that exact airplane. Alberta Controline Flying Club has a pretty long reach, in addition to Stunt Hangar and PAMPA!  y1 Steve
Steve, I shall get information to you as soon as I can dig it up.

Gary

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 11:34:30 PM »
Well that didn't take me long.

https://www.warplane.com/aircraft/collection.aspx

Canadian Warplane Heritage museum in Mount Hope, OT.

If your group has anyone in that area, I'd sure be appreciative of some pictures. Be happy to cover the cost of burning a good assortment of detail shots on to a disk and mailing it, plus entry fee to the museum.

Gary

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 05:06:36 PM »
ACFC isn't "my group"! It is on facebook and started by Bruce Perry, from Edmonton. I'll try to post a request for you, but if you happen to be on facebook, you can join and do it yourself. Which would be awesome! It's a great group and I love their flying field in Namao, AB.

I'm going to look on GooglyMaps and see if I can find out where Mt. Hope, ON (you typed OT!) is and then go on facebook. ACFC does have some members all across Canada, but I don't know any of them past Winnipeg. We shall see what happens!

Hmmmm….I'm not sure what's with GooglyMaps….they have found a Mt. Hope, ON just south of Hamilton, and one NW from Toronto what looks like a fur piece, on the shore of Lk. Huron. I don't know what to think about that!

I found this plane on the museum's website. Please confirm that it is the one you are duplicating!  y1 Steve

https://www.warplane.com/aircraft/collection/details.aspx?aircraftId=17
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 06:13:10 PM »
Actually, that IS a PT-26.
Notice the canopy.

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

What LarryLarry said!!!!

I very much wish I could share pictures as the PT-26 fits neatly into my aviation heritage.  To wit....

Sometime shortly after the war was over and I was a tiny kid my dad and a friend, Al Knecktle (sp??), bought "several" PT-26s still in the crate hoping to make a fortune assembling and selling them.  The fortune never came to fruition.

However, my Dad kept one of them and put it together and it was among the very first airplanes I ever flew in.  It was Silver with a red swooping stripe around the cowling and then tapering back to the tail.  We, quite naturally, dubbed it Red Nose!

Although the details are long forgotten I do remember a handful of things about Red Nose.  The inertial crank on the left side that somebody had to "spin" up to engage the starter, for instance.  (Later probably cannibalized by some speed flier to crank up his red head McCoy .60!) The fact that dad would never let us roll the canopy closed over the back seat until just before takeoff (if then on a good day). Sharing the back seat with my "big" brother Gary as Dad flew us around the Issaquah, Washington grass strip where Dad was a mechanic for a Taylorcraft dealer.  Sometime before we moved to Renton (when I was just turning seven, more or less mid 1950) Dad must have sold it to somebody 'cause we didn't fly in it any more.

although Dad took tons of pictures of the wonderful mountains in Washington and Oregon for some reason I've never seen a still extant pic of the PT. 

My great loss.

Ted Fancher

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 11:11:12 PM »
Well, Gary, I made the post on ACFC's page and I'm sure there will be a line forming here to accept your offer. I included a link to the picture of the PT-26 in the museum (really nice yellow, great choice!), a link to Stunt Hangar, and the title to this thread. I didn't think to post a link to the thread, because FB has been bitchy with me lately...apparently because I'm not using Chrome. Google and all it's associate stuff could take a running leap off a tall building, IF only it wasn't for ACFC's presence there.  y1 Steve

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2019, 02:20:51 AM »
Well, Gary, I made the post on ACFC's page and I'm sure there will be a line forming here to accept your offer. I included a link to the picture of the PT-26 in the museum (really nice yellow, great choice!), a link to Stunt Hangar, and the title to this thread. I didn't think to post a link to the thread, because FB has been bitchy with me lately...apparently because I'm not using Chrome. Google and all it's associate stuff could take a running leap off a tall building, IF only it wasn't for ACFC's presence there.  y1 Steve
Steve, I'm in your debt.

Gary

Offline Steve Helmick

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2019, 08:58:09 PM »
Steve, I'm in your debt.

Gary

Don't send that big check right away, Gary! There have been a few guys who said they'd like to help, but none are close enough to make it a viable offer. One offered, but wanted you to pay for his airline ticket from British Columbia  to Ontario. Plus, he's afraid to fly! Since I posted the link to Stunt Hangar, an offer might arrive here, so keep your eyes peeled.  y1 Steve

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2019, 10:10:22 PM »
Two other Canadian museums that have operational PT-26 Cornells that I have recently visited are Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and The Commonwealth Air Training Museum in Brandon Manitoba.

The people at both these museums are very knowledgeable and helpful.

It might be worth your time to look them up and see if they can help you.

Cheers

Robert Whitley

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2019, 10:38:17 PM »
Don't send that big check right away, Gary! There have been a few guys who said they'd like to help, but none are close enough to make it a viable offer. One offered, but wanted you to pay for his airline ticket from British Columbia  to Ontario. Plus, he's afraid to fly! Since I posted the link to Stunt Hangar, an offer might arrive here, so keep your eyes peeled.  y1 Steve

I was contacted today by a gentleman, and SH member, named David Hoover. Said he lives only 30min from the museum, and offered to do some photography for me when he gets up there next.

I'm sure this is a result of your efforts. Thank you very much!!!

Gary

Offline Gary Dowler

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2019, 10:42:08 PM »
Two other Canadian museums that have operational PT-26 Cornells that I have recently visited are Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and The Commonwealth Air Training Museum in Brandon Manitoba.

The people at both these museums are very knowledgeable and helpful.

It might be worth your time to look them up and see if they can help you.

Cheers

Robert Whitley

Robert, thanks for the info. More resources are always good to have.  I wish there was one within 300 miles of me. Closest I can find is a PT-19 in Port Townsend Washington, which is a nearly 400 mile drive just to see a plane that's close, but not quite the right one. If there is a closer example, I haven't found it.

Gary

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here