News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:01:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: In Memory of Larry Cunningham's Stuntrib  (Read 4753 times)

Offline Kevin Wright

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
In Memory of Larry Cunningham's Stuntrib
« on: September 30, 2016, 05:07:04 PM »
Hi Folks,
As a user and admirer of Stuntrib I am annoyed to find it won't run on my 64bit version of Windows 7.
If anyone has solved this I'd like to know how.

I know he had an excel version called StuntribX however I'm not aware of any publicly available release of it.
Again, if anyone knows where it can be found I'd appreciate a reference.

The important function I need is Stuntrib's ability to generate rib profiles with a constant trailing edge height and it's
ability to accommodate diagonal ribs. I have Profili 2 XT and it can't do it. The best I can do for now is generate rib profiles
with Profili, export the DXF files to TurboCAD and manually tweek them. It's a total pain!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Kevin Wright

Offline BillCalkins

• Lieutenant
Re: In Memory of Larry Cunningham's Stuntrib
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 05:37:45 PM »
I believe if you right click the program you can run it in compatibility mode.
I would have to fire up another computer to verify that.

Offline Kevin Wright

• Ensign
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 05:50:30 PM »
Bill,
Stuntrib is a dos based program and is run via a bat file. I've set it's properties to run in xp compatibility mode with no success.
Kevin

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 06:46:21 PM »
If you can figure out how to do it, you can run a Virtual Box of one sort or another in XP and other versions of windows and install DOS in the Vbox.  Set it up to run Stuntrib when DOS starts and it will act like a standalone program.

It's pretty simple to bet Oracle's Virtual Box to run in XP.  I haven't quite figured out how to get it to access files though.
phil Cartier

Offline Kevin Wright

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 07:19:33 PM »
Phil,
I'd prefer not have to install XP to run the occasional Stuntrib. As you point out file creation could be a problem as Stuntrib creates DXF files.
Kevin

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 07:38:08 PM »
Actually, there's free versions of DOS -- you could make a virtual machine, install DOS on it, and get what you want.

Horrible, I know, but there you are.

A way to do this, if you want to mess with CAD programs, is to make a 3-D model of the wing as if it had an "all rib" core.  Then slice it up and extract 2D profiles.  It's essentially the computerized version of Bob Hunt's lost foam rib generation scheme, without the smell of hot polystyrene.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Kevin Wright

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 09:07:10 PM »
Tim,
Yes, but still a lot of work compared to the simplicity of Stuntrib. I'm taking a look at Stefano Durante's DevWing which looks like it can do the job.
I'll have to shell out E70.00 euro though. He also has a version that will generate G code for CAM processing.

Kevin

Offline pipemakermike

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 12:02:24 AM »
I have a copy of Larry's spreadsheet based rib drawing tool.  I have used it and it does work although there is no help available it should be obvious to anyone who has used a spread sheet.

I have attached a copy
Regards
Mike Nelson

Offline Kevin Wright

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 04:58:42 AM »
Thank you, thank you. Hopefully this will save a lot of CAD work.
Regards,
Kevin

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 06:43:28 PM »
Tim,
Yes, but still a lot of work compared to the simplicity of Stuntrib. I'm taking a look at Stefano Durante's DevWing which looks like it can do the job.
I'll have to shell out E70.00 euro though. He also has a version that will generate G code for CAM processing.

Kevin

Oh, I know -- 3D CAD makes it as easy to model a wing as a crankshaft.  That means that it's up to you to detail what you mean by "wing".

Someone could write a macro for a 3D CAD program that would know what a wing is, but then it'd only work in that program.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 06:44:51 PM »
I had heard a rumor that someone had gotten the source code and was going to re-write it, but I gather that the project never came to fruition.
AMA 64232

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 01:00:34 PM »
Mike,
I downloaded the spreadsheet file and tried to change the setting but the results did not recalculate. Is there a macro button that needs to be refreshed? I'm running Windows 10, office 365 (2016 version of Excel).

Best,    DennisT

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 01:09:01 PM »
Yup.....
I was rooting about here amid the chaos and found a CD that Larry had given me....included Stunt Rib and some building hints for his profile.....I couldn't open any of them.....sent the CD to John Brodak, who, after a bit, reported the same results....
Larry liked that fake Word program....
The plane tips were for Mo'Best, which I believe will be kitted by Brodak?
Edit for Mo'Best

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 02:28:27 PM »
there seem to be some vba macros in the project that do hte heavy lifting, but they are password protected. 

so we will never know. 
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 02:39:26 PM »
I run StuntRib on DOSBOX in unix. Runs fine. Haven't run it in awhile, but it worked fine the last time used it. There's a DOSBOX version for Windows 8.1 so I assume it would work on other Windows systems.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2016, 05:17:03 PM »
Problem could be the security MS added to 7 and up. Some software assumes it can write to the hard drive as needed but MS felt that was a security risk and limited the ability. A really neat utility can be found on the internet that helps this. Google "Take Ownership". It is a registry hack that adds a Take Ownership entry to the right click menu when you Right click on a folder. Run it on the folder you are trying to run stunt rib from and see if it doesn't help.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2016, 05:32:28 PM »
I run StuntRib on DOSBOX in unix. Runs fine. Haven't run it in awhile, but it worked fine the last time used it. There's a DOSBOX version for Windows 8.1 so I assume it would work on other Windows systems.

I just tried it.  Works, with a lot less trouble than a virtual machine would have been.

So -- StuntRib just gives you ribs, but no cuts for spars or leadouts or anything?
AMA 64232

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 10:37:46 AM »
My version does. I just run DOSBOX as an app then run StuntRib. It gives the ribs, cutouts for the LE, TE and spar if you add that to the commands. It exports in .DXF format or you can send it directly to the printer if you set it up that way.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 11:54:36 AM »
I have Larry's computer and have downloaded all his files...over 16,000 just dealing with stunt.   I'll try and sort through them for the stuntrib programs he wrote.  Just a bit tedious

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 11:57:21 AM »
My version does. I just run DOSBOX as an app then run StuntRib. It gives the ribs, cutouts for the LE, TE and spar if you add that to the commands. It exports in .DXF format or you can send it directly to the printer if you set it up that way.

I didn't see where to put that in -- can you post some screenshots or batch files or sumping?
AMA 64232

Advertise Here
Tags: CAD 

Advertise Here