News:

• September 27, 2024, 10:45:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Imbedded Flaps  (Read 1617 times)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Imbedded Flaps
« on: May 30, 2024, 02:50:30 PM »
I was reading through some old threads on sealed flaps looking for guidance in whether or not to seal imbedded flaps.  Has anyone successful done it?  Mine are 5/15 thick with a 1/8" parabolic radius rounded LE.  The flap channel is capped with a 1/64 plywood that ends at the flap pivot point which is about 5/32" from the bottom of the molded channel.  The gap is a consistent 1/32"sits on top of the flap.  Really tough to seal this.  I understand from reading old postings that even imbedded flaps would benefit from sealing.  Doing it without adding binding would be near impossible.  This is a compromise that should add some degree of sealing without compromising the ultra-smooth zero binding of the European style slotted hinges.

Ken
« Last Edit: May 30, 2024, 03:39:04 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
Re: Imbedded Flaps
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2024, 04:56:14 PM »
If it helps you decide whether a model with pocketed control surfaces needs sealed hinges you could view the videos posted of the 2022 Worlds with the computer tracking of all the maneuvers. In particular the flights by Konstantin Bajaikine flying a Starlight with recessed pocket hinges on flaps and elevators, and the third flight especially. See if you think the maneuvers suffer from lacking any kind of sealing. The fit is very close but your model with 1/32 clearance would be about the same. Many of the competitors are using prebuilt models with this kind of recessed hinging. The Aurora and Axiom models by Shuhrat Ishbutaev (made in Tashkent, how exotic is that) likewise use unsealed pocket hinges.

BTW I have been enjoying your build articles and the ingenuity and imagination you have summoned for the projects, plus a lot of persistence. Nice to see us old guys still have it! Well, some of us anyway.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2024, 06:03:23 PM »
If it helps you decide whether a model with pocketed control surfaces needs sealed hinges you could view the videos posted of the 2022 Worlds with the computer tracking of all the maneuvers. In particular the flights by Konstantin Bajaikine flying a Starlight with recessed pocket hinges on flaps and elevators, and the third flight especially. See if you think the maneuvers suffer from lacking any kind of sealing. The fit is very close but your model with 1/32 clearance would be about the same. Many of the competitors are using prebuilt models with this kind of recessed hinging. The Aurora and Axiom models by Shuhrat Ishbutaev (made in Tashkent, how exotic is that) likewise use unsealed pocket hinges.

BTW I have been enjoying your build articles and the ingenuity and imagination you have summoned for the projects, plus a lot of persistence. Nice to see us old guys still have it! Well, some of us anyway.
I have flown an Aurora, at least I think it was one.  In fact it was that plane that got me interested in that hinging method along with some brainstorming with Mark Wood over pivot points and a really nice video by Sparkey.  Mainly it was the lack of any kind of hinge binding that first attracted my attention.  I have probably lost my ability to perform better than the planes I fly and it gets worse each passing year but the fun of building and coming up with new ways to do things is really helping keep me engaged. 

Thanks for the kind words, I really thought nobody but bots were watching!

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2024, 06:06:27 PM »
If it helps you decide whether a model with pocketed control surfaces needs sealed hinges you could view the videos posted of the 2022 Worlds with the computer tracking of all the maneuvers. In particular the flights by Konstantin Bajaikine flying a Starlight with recessed pocket hinges on flaps and elevators, and the third flight especially. See if you think the maneuvers suffer from lacking any kind of sealing.

Of course, having an individual flight on an individual airplane tells you nothing about the value - since the value is repeatability from day to day and airplane to airplane.   The fact that it also increases the effectiveness of the surface can be overcome in most case by other changes.

Brett

Offline Mike Scholtes

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2024, 06:55:59 PM »
I have a Starlight, identical to the one Konstantin flys, and I will never, ever be  able to fly it anywhere near its capabilities. But Konstantin can, and the repeatability of his flights on the "tracker" video is amazing. I believe he took 3d at the 2022 Worlds with it, and others have similar results all around the world. But all my other models, self-built with conventional design, have all moving surfaces sealed with clear tape. I have to since I see Brett at all our local contests and take his word as Gospel! As others have said, he is extremely generous with his time and the benefit of his decades of experience and experimentation.

And who's to say I am not a bot?

Offline Scientifiction .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2024, 11:43:54 PM »
There was some discussion on ' hinge gap ' . Some saying some Yatsenkos ( or suchlike ) hads a 2 mm or so GAP . Intentionally .

So the daylight / tarmac , viewable at the hinge line , on this ( a L J Pattermaster ) may have been intentrional . Considering Bob Baron was unlikely to accidently do that .
Tho theyre notorious for ' a bit much flap ' . SO , it'd appear to depend . a bit of ' blow through ' could adhear the airflow , maybe . at some deflections , Which is the point .

whereas your more normal chord maybe another kettle of fish . Build one sealed and one unsealed .  ;D   S?P   VD~ a soft rub' rubbing strip ? or test set up perhaps .
Hanging out the car window at 60 , blowing ciggarette smoke through a tube , might tell you if theres blow back .    :-X    ;D

ACTUALLY , a thought out ' test ' using a similar but more refined set up could be tryed , if your in a deserted area , or the motorways clear at 3 a. m. .
Smoke Cylinder , tibe , pivotable airplane mount , control movement ' lever ' ratchet / lockableish . A seperate driver might be a good idea .

Offline Steve Helmick

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2024, 02:20:17 PM »
Spring loaded teflon strip in a slot in the wing TE pushing against the round flap LE? I'll leave it to youse to figure out how to do it and test it. An ideal start would be to make the flaps with really round and really smooth CF tubes, like Howard does or did.

I'd be more inclined to lap your film covering onto the LE of the flap, with a 1/4" folded over to make it film to flap instead of adhesive side of film to flap. Should be low friction and flexible enough to work. The 1/4" dimension might be worth experimenting with...maybe 3/8" or 1/2"? Somebody has probably tried it?  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2024, 04:27:59 PM »
Spring loaded teflon strip in a slot in the wing TE pushing against the round flap LE? I'll leave it to you to figure out how to do it and test it. An ideal start would be to make the flaps with really round and really smooth CF tubes, like Howard does or did.

I'd be more inclined to lap your film covering onto the LE of the flap, with a 1/4" folded over to make it film to flap instead of adhesive side of film to flap. Should be low friction and flexible enough to work. The 1/4" dimension might be worth experimenting with...maybe 3/8" or 1/2"? Somebody has probably tried it?  D>K Steve
I have tried a full aluminum tube in tube hinge on a small stunter (about 550 sq') years ago.  Both Stab and flaps.  Solid and very free controls - on the ground.  I completely forgot about wing flex in corners.  Even a CF tube will flex some in a corner.  I replaced them on the flaps with Robarts. Never tried it again.  I have also tried a monokote false LE to the flap that pushed against the pocket.  That worked to a degree but was really hard to glue down.  Another method was flexible clear plastic sliding over the flap and pressing against it.  Seemed to work till the finish warped the plastic.  That is what led to this method using 1/64 plywood. I would love to have some wind tunnel tests to see if the air really would go through the gap since it closes the seals mechanically in both directions as soon as the flaps are deflected.  At idle the gap is paper thin and behind the flap LE.  With the Canard and logarithmic flaps I seriously doubt I am going to need more cornering capability so what i will be looking for are signs of unexpected roll in corners.  If I don't detect any I will most likely leave things unsealed.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2024, 12:54:58 PM »
I have a Starlight, identical to the one Konstantin flys, and I will never, ever be  able to fly it anywhere near its capabilities. But Konstantin can, and the repeatability of his flights on the "tracker" video is amazing. I believe he took 3d at the 2022 Worlds with it, and others have similar results all around the world. But all my other models, self-built with conventional design, have all moving surfaces sealed with clear tape. I have to since I see Brett at all our local contests and take his word as Gospel! As others have said, he is extremely generous with his time and the benefit of his decades of experience and experimentation.

And who's to say I am not a bot?

I am sorry if this came off dismissive, I have my bad days like everyone else.

But there is probably no other topic where we have tried absolutely every variant we can think of. Everything has been tried, because unlike most of the airfoil-type discussions, the hinge line treatment really does matter, it's critical, and even tiny gap differences can have very large effects on the performance. On a particular airplane, it is built how it is built, and unless you do something to alter it, it will have whatever effect it has. But .005" variation between one airplane and another, or from it absorbing water and swelling up in the morning and trying out in the afternoon, or getting a blade of grass stuck in it somewhere, can completely alter the trim of the airplane.

Same with a single airplane over the range of travel. Unless it is built to infeasibly tight tolerances, the gap always varies over the range of travel, and not the same on the inboard and outboard wing, and not the same on up and down. This has dramatic effect on things like the apparent need for tip weight and tabs, inside/outside turn differences, and all sort of strange frequently undiagnosable trim issues. Changing a .010 gap by .005 between up and down on the flap has more effect than putting on a 3/4"x 2" tab - and you can't have a tab on "up" that disappears on "down".

I also note that the Yatsenko "knuckle hinge" is far from consistent from airplane to airplane. I have seen them with the hinge perfectly centered in the pocket, and others with the flap poked up above the surface one way and below the surface the other. That seemed to have drastic effects on the inside/outside turn difference and the roll trim, not surprisingly the best and most honest were the one where it was close to center. I am not criticizing their workmanship because the worst one I have seen was something like 1/64" or so (.016-.020, I didn;t measure it) off. But for hinge lines .016 variation have very large effects due to differential leakage.

So people have experimented with hinge line design for years. My personal experience, and those gleaned from most of the people whose observational skill I trust, have led us to a more-or-less conventional hinge line design, with the harp corners knocked off,  with seals. I am well aware of people thinking that they can leave a big gap and have it act like s a slotted flap (Al Rabe, for example) and those who like the "knuckle hinge" like on some of the Yatsenko airplanes, but having tried all that stuff, I still think that you get the most repeatable and consistent results, and probably the most effective flaps and elevators, using the regular hinges with seals. That's the best advice I can give.

Obviously, anyone can experiment with anything they want, I am not the hinge line police. I offer my (and many others) observation of what we wound up with at the end to maybe help people keep out of dead ends.

Brett

Tags: