News:

• May 07, 2024, 02:21:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: If it walks like a duck  (Read 9001 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: If it walks like a duck
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »
   Just to show how the more things change the more they stay the same, there are many letters to the editors in the old mags going back to WW-2 that complain of people not building their models and not being "real modelers."  Some where of the ilk that you even had to draw your own plans, or at very least, enlarge them out of the magazine. Buying plans from the publisher was looked own upon! There was big outcry when Top Flite started putting pre-shaped leading edges and trailing edges in their kits. Real modelers shape their own!! Varying levels of prefabrication go back that far. I have a Cavacraft 1/2A WW-1 biplane kit that is completely built and ready to cover in the box, what we call today an ARC. Probably dates to the early 50's,.  The  Monarch line of sport C/L planes were all machined balsa and hard wood and just slid together like a jig saw puzzle and the parts fit together so well that the model could be assemble to a complete state without any glue and stand there on it's landing gear wire  by itself! So, really nothing new here, just a different time and different people.
    As technology advances, you have to make allowances fo the new methods to be used. The molded models aren't going anywhere, and someone already brought up using some one else's molds to lay up your own model and that's fine with me. I am pro BOM but have been able to keep flying during a busy work career that didn't allow me much time for building, so I bought other peoples planes and ARF's so I could still join in the fun. The current rules that cover that seem to work just fine as far as I'm concerned but I do hope to remedy the building situation ASAP!
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2018, 05:43:43 PM »

(Clip)

What is the deal about the control system?  Sparky has the entire control system for sale in his webstore. 

(Clip)

Your really missed the point on this one.  Sure, you can buy an "entire control system" just like you can buy an "entire" power train, just like an "entire" set of wheels.  What does that matter?  These items have been in the market place since before CLPA was initiated as an official event. 

The point in the CLPA BOM rule is that the control components "may be purchased but MUST be installed by the pilot".  (Emphasis added.)  This is one area the CLACB preserved as a fundamental part of the BOM rule.  That "entire control system for sale in [Sparky's] webstore" surely does not include the installation into the model which the BOM rule clearly states that is the responsibility of the pilot.    I am sure that you would agree that not all control system installations are the same.  I think that most anyone will agree with you that it takes a true "CRAFTSMAN" to accurately install a functional control system in a competition CLPA model whatever the source of the components.

Foam wings not necessarily fabricated by the pilot were allowed in models flown at the Nats in the era when George Aldrich and Bill Netzeband were Nats stunt event directors using the then and still current AMA definition for the BOM including the phrase "constructed is to be interpreted as the action required to complete a model starting with no more prefabrication than the amount used in the average kit."  Maybe you should consider that there have been kits for various types of models, including stunt ships, on the market for many years that include foam wings.  So perhaps the "average kit" from the 1960's on morphed to include foam wings.  Now, if foam wings were permitted, it is only logical that fully assembled purchased wings could also be used in the construction of a CLPA model.  From outward appearance and design particulars, there is no difference in form or function between a purchased foam wing and a purchased assembled wing with 637 individual parts assembled together except for possibly the weight factor.  Would you suggest that any placing of any individual at the Nats who used purchased wings over the years should be invalidated when the stunt community as a whole essentially endorsed their use?  Is the CLPA community at large out of touch or is it the almost insignificant minority of vocal malcontents that cannot accept reality?  We could take your argument to the next step and require that the pilot must fabricate his own engine, spinner, and prop.  There are some in our community that can and actually do that.  Are not those individuals even more of a true "CRAFTSMEN" than what you are claiming for yourself and others who build their own wings?

Please feel free to make whatever proposal(s) you wish.  I do not think anyone on the Control Line Aerobatics Contest Board (CLACB) would prejudge your proposal(s).  Who knows, there may be a silent majority out there in our small CLPA community that may want the changes you propose.  The individual members of the CLACB will certainly respond to the input from pilots in their respective Districts as well as to the recommendations that will surely be made by the Precision Aerobatics Model Pilots Association (PAMPA).  On the other hand, I think you will be the one who is surprised how little support there will be for your proposal(s).

Keith

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 10:41:44 PM by Trostle »

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2018, 07:02:17 PM »
These are exciting times for construction techniques and materials.
3 D printers are becoming less expensive and the programming is becoming easier as well.
Laser printers have become even less expensive as well.
There is a foam that seems to be fuel proof (or is covered/painted with something fuel proof).
The guys at Flex Innovations have one of their $300 pattern foamies converted to control line....

Those that seem to harp about the BOM allude to balsa construction. Other materials may soon eclipse balsa for a number of reasons.

With new materials traditional construction techniques will more than likely disappear.

And the definitions will become more and more murky.

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2018, 07:40:15 PM »
I agree with that.   Like when foam wings appeared, it was something a modeler could do.   My idea of the equal contest would be a guy could get 300 points (max) for having built his own model, then 300 (max) for flying.   I have actually been studying making a wing using foam ribs, instead of balsa.   Yea, Peabody  I see your point.
Well somebody beat you to that one...  My flying partner in the 80's Jim Cochran used nothing but foam ribs and qualified Top 20 at the 85' Chicopee Nats with such a machine.  He used foam meat trays like you get your hamburger on at the store.  He made it work but the problems were rib crushing and or cap strips de-laminating.  Help build lighter?  Na....he was just cheap..LOL!!

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2018, 07:40:37 PM »
I have no problem with using new materials I do have a problem with someone else using them for you. IE a molded, finished airplane from a manufacturer.
AMA 12366

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2018, 07:48:27 PM »
I have gotten to the bottom of this story and here it is.

Hi Robert I received a message from Sergii. " Hello RC Storick A set of components for the self-production of the F2B aerobatic flight model Sbach is available for $ 1,500. The production time is 6 months. Yours faithfully Sergii Solomianikov.  " P.S. I talked with Sergii by phone. He said that his planes are a joint development with Kestutis from America. Kestutis has exactly the same forms

I wonder how many more of these models will try to show at the NATS? The Camel's nose was let under the tent a few years back.

I am going top buy and build one of these just as a test
AMA 12366

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2018, 08:19:10 PM »
  There are extremes to everything and common sense (define that?) should rule.   To me common sense is that if you do not make the air frame to your model, you did not build it.
[/quote]

Herein lies the problem. Everybodies definition on this is different. We worked long and hard to get where we are. It seems to work.

And, you really didn't build your model completely. In fact, you only did the EASY parts. Did you dig the ore from the ground, refine it, forge/roll/cast it, heat treat it, machine it to get your motor, wire for horns and control system parts, landing gear etc.  You just assembled a series of premade items to form your product.  It is not as simple as you make it out to be.  People who compete in this event worked on the rules proposals until it was acceptable to pass a vote.

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2018, 09:19:58 PM »
I have gotten to the bottom of this story and here it is.

Hi Robert I received a message from Sergii. " Hello RC Storick A set of components for the self-production of the F2B aerobatic flight model Sbach is available for $ 1,500. The production time is 6 months. Yours faithfully Sergii Solomianikov.  " P.S. I talked with Sergii by phone. He said that his planes are a joint development with Kestutis from America. Kestutis has exactly the same forms

I wonder how many more of these models will try to show at the NATS? The Camel's nose was let under the tent a few years back.

I am going top buy and build one of these just as a test

When you say 'build' are you going to lay up the parts?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Roy DeCamara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2018, 12:32:34 AM »
I think I'll stop by the nursery tomorrow and see if I can order a balsa tree to plant.  Time to get started at the beginning......... LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Randy Cuberly

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2018, 12:37:04 AM »
I think I'll stop by the nursery tomorrow and see if I can order a balsa tree to plant.  Time to get started at the beginning......... LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Hey Roy,
Can I go half on the tree?  I need some more balsa to ruin!   LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Randy Cuberly
Randy Cuberly
Tucson, AZ

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2018, 03:58:39 AM »
When you say 'build' are you going to lay up the parts?

Not sure. I am going to build this kit as sent and see if it turns out as the ones I have seen. I want to see if it looks and flies like it came out of the mold. This is just a test of the AVERAGE kit. Don't expect to see me flying this at the NATS.
AMA 12366

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2018, 04:36:51 AM »

That why I suggest upping the ante.  Increase the bet.   Stop playing penny poker, by changing the rules.   You could, in addition to what I already suggested, add points for drawing your own plans, cutting your own parts, etc. 

The whole objective is to see who the best REAL Modeler is.  I think if you were to add points for having real modeling skills (craftsmanship), Sparky would have given you guys a run for your money. 

I don't know who you are, but you have obviously never been to a US Nationals. If you had, you would know that everything you just posted is BS.

Derek

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Admiral
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2018, 05:28:46 AM »

I hope this helps.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2018, 06:39:14 AM »
Mr. Hunt, Sir.  Please re-read my comments.  I was suggesting a DIFFERENT EVENT, where the best overall modeler was determined.  This suggestion came about because your rules regarding building your own model are PHONY.  They are a joke. 

My suggested event would give more points for a modeler who really did build their own model with added points for building the entire air frame, covering the model, even making the engine so that true craftsmanship is rewarded. 

The truth is as I see it, you want to live in a make believe world where somebody makes wing panels and other components and then you pretend the purchaser built the WHOLE model.

Does who you are change the  meaning of building your own model?  Is that how the rules came to accept using components made by somebody else?    Why not just be honest and start flying ARFs?   Then you will know who has the best muscle memory with nothing whatsoever to distract from that.   

Your build your own model rules remind me of:

Affirmative Action: Ignoring the truth about who is most qualified.
Electoral College:  Ignoring the truth about who got the most votes.
Fake News:  Convincing the public information known to be false.

Bottom line:  If you do not build every part of your air frame, you did not build your own model.  That, my friend, is the truth.

Your ignorance is showing again. Your entire argument is based on your assumption that the people that compete at the Nationals do not build their own airplanes, simply because of the way YOU interpret the rules. Those of us who compete at the highest level at the Nationals build every square inch of our airplanes. We cut every piece of wood, spend hundreds of hours sanding, filling, painting, and polishing the planes we use in competition. As with any event, there are people who will use every advantage they can right up to the edge of breaking the rules. That is far from the majority in our event. Even the model in question, has been proven legal by Robert's own research.

Derek

Offline Peter Grabenstein

• 2020 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2018, 06:42:28 AM »
This year at the NATS there was an airplane I thought was next years model of Yatsenko and I was assured by everyone it was not. Well, it was not next years model it was this years and it was flown at the worlds. Photo evidence coming forthwith. I wish if we are going to have a BOM they would stick to it. It is not fair to those who are abiding by the rules.

If everyone wants inclusivity we could put forth a rule change to let these planes fly at the NATS with no appearance points and un-eligible for the walker cup fly off. But whatever the rules are STICK TO THEM!

Give the FAI F2B Comp. Folks 4 more years...and after
you may call it "THE SHARK-CUP".
Sure they got BIG numbers in pre-orders.

Does it bother me ?
NOPE !!!!!
cause I am not in that kind of race.

LOVE IT ....OR .....LEAVE IT, 
AND FOR SURE......,
HAVE FUN WITH IT.

p.s.
SURE can find BIG TIME FUN for less Honey.
Its allways a matter of choice which horse you wanna ride.
An expensive horse makes not a winner.
Not at all. I remember one Pilot in my home Country,still wrestling with his Shark for years.
But.....its the Pilot and not the fish.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:29:46 AM by Peter Grabenstein »
I hate pessimists, I prefer optimists.
Impossible is done immediately, miracles take longer.
I don't care who your father is ......... as long as I fly here,
Nobody walks, runs, floats or flies across my circle ......... not even to fetch fish, wine or bread.

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2018, 07:11:25 AM »
Mr. Hunt, Sir.  Please re-read my comments.  I was suggesting a DIFFERENT EVENT, where the best overall modeler was determined.  This suggestion came about because your rules regarding building your own model are PHONY.  They are a joke. 

My suggested event would give more points for a modeler who really did build their own model with added points for building the entire air frame, covering the model, even making the engine so that true craftsmanship is rewarded. 

The truth is as I see it, you want to live in a make believe world where somebody makes wing panels and other components and then you pretend the purchaser built the WHOLE model.

Does who you are change the  meaning of building your own model?  Is that how the rules came to accept using components made by somebody else?    Why not just be honest and start flying ARFs?   Then you will know who has the best muscle memory with nothing whatsoever to distract from that.   

Your build your own model rules remind me of:

Affirmative Action: Ignoring the truth about who is most qualified.
Electoral College:  Ignoring the truth about who got the most votes.
Fake News:  Convincing the public information known to be false.

Bottom line:  If you do not build every part of your air frame, you did not build your own model.  That, my friend, is the truth.

Start your event.  I will enter it.  I build my planes WITHOUT a plan.  Will I get more points since I don't have someone else telling me where to cut things?  I just do it myself right out of my head!  Been that way since 2002. Bring it on....
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2018, 08:06:32 AM »
The thread has morphed from the sublime to the ridiculous...…

Most know of my belief that we must do everything possible to grow, or even sustain our event.

The existing BOM definition limits "buy and fly" as intended. The rest is, as has always been the case, based upon the honor of a competitor.

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2018, 09:17:57 AM »
Not sure. I am going to build this kit as sent and see if it turns out as the ones I have seen. I want to see if it looks and flies like it came out of the mold. This is just a test of the AVERAGE kit. Don't expect to see me flying this at the NATS.

There is no such thing as an "average" kit, at least as far as an applicable definition to Control Line Precision Aerobatic (CLPA) rules.

Keith

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »
I don't know who you are, but you have obviously never been to a US Nationals. If you had, you would know that everything you just posted is BS.

Derek

Derek is making reference "Ketogenic".  Not knowing what his name really is, but I wander if "Ketogenic" has ever even participated in a CLPA event.  A few posts back after being challenged to submit change proposals to accomplish what his goals are, he back flipped and essentially said he would not "write to the AMA", essentially expecting someone else to submit the proposals for his ideas.  I even doubt he knows what the rules change proposal process is.  It is NOT about writing to the AMA, but submitting a formal proposal in accordance with written AMA procedures.

Even if "Ketogenic" has participated in a CLPA event, it would be interesting to have a description of his airplane.  He might have some credibility if he has totally constructed every part of his model from his original plans.

So, to "Ketogenic", why not establish some credibility?  What is your name?  Tell us about your airplanes.  What contests have you entered?

Keith

Keith

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2018, 10:11:00 AM »
Keith, what you are writing is an age old debate tactic of attacking the person because you have no defense against what they are saying.

It does not matter who I am or what I have done.  What matters is that I have discovered your build your own model rule is PHONY. 

Doesn't it hurt more that a nobody, like me, uncovered the stunt world's lie?  Some of you are not building your own models.  I don't care what your rules or you say, that if you buy ready made wings and tail pieces, you are NOT BUILDING your own model. 

I know this drives a stake in some of your egos, but it is reality.  If you use ready made parts on your plane, the guy who builds his entire air frame is a BETTER MODELER than you.   It hurts to hear it, but deal with it.   Walk around the block, drink a beer, whatever.

"Ketogenic"

Not even a worthy deflection of what or who you think you are.

Keith

Offline Rusty

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2018, 10:31:20 AM »

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 01:37:01 PM by Ketogenic »

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2018, 10:44:57 AM »
Now I know you are a diet of sorts.   D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Fernandez

• Admiral
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
WHO THE HELL IS KETOGENIC??????????

Larry, Buttafucco Stunt Team

(Notice that I use my real name)

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2018, 12:21:36 PM »
He is Rusty Pieper.
Not to be confused with RknRusty, who is a different Rusty, and a genuinely nice guy.
Search Ketogenic’s past posts for an idea of his history on Stunthangar.
I have seen the light, and it’s powered by a lipo.

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2018, 12:49:07 PM »
Jim, FYI:  that is an alias too.    LL~

No matter what your current alias is, Rusty, a search for your posts reveals all of your previous contributions to Stunthangar.
It was what, a month, maybe two, ago that you accused me of cyber-bullying you merely because I pointed out that you have been a member here for quite some time and not the neophyte you wanted us to believe you were. I think your alias was John Doe at the time.
I know from reading your history that you are a veteran, and have had some health problems. I thank you for your service, and sympathize for your troubles. But I gotta tell you, you’re not helping your case here.
You seem to enjoy poking the beehive here every once in a while. Now you’ve verbally assaulted Bob Hunt and Kieth Trostle in almost one breath. I don’t think you’re going to get any support from the masses here.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2018, 01:36:38 PM »
Okay, Jim.   

Jim, I can see your point in that these guys are legends in the hobby.  However, in discussions like this I think we are all equal and only what our theories and points of discussion are is what counts. 

I don't agree with me being called ignorant.   That is not proper debate.   I don't agree attacking my user name, that is not proper debate.

I made a point that I don't believe it is building your own model if you use wings and tail pieces others made.  Nobody wants to address that point.  Why?

Anyway, I agree with Peabody, the thread is going nowhere.   If you wish, I will delete my posts.  What I think is not going to change anything.  The system always wins.  You can't beat city hall.

Being ignorant is not necessarily an insult. I'm ignorant when it comes to brain surgery, that's just a fact. The rest of my post went on to say that most of the people that compete at the Nat's, especially at the highest level, do in fact build their own planes. We don't buy components, mainly out of pride, and partly because we don't trust anyone else to do work to the quality we would. You are accusing people of not building their planes, when you have no knowledge or proof to back up your claims. Therefore, you are in fact ignorant in regards to that specific topic.

Yes the rule does state that you can buy one, unfinished component, and still be eligible to compete in Open at the Nat's. Some of us didn't want to give that much, but based on 30+ years of history, we were overruled.

Derek

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »
I guess Mutagenic didn't like the light of truth shining on him.
Steve

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2018, 03:06:35 PM »
Okay, Jim.   

(Clip)

I made a point that I don't believe it is building your own model if you use wings and tail pieces others made.  Nobody wants to address that point.  Why?

Anyway, I agree with Peabody, the thread is going nowhere.   If you wish, I will delete my posts.  What I think is not going to change anything.  The system always wins.  You can't beat city hall.

To Rusty Pieper

OK, I want to make a couple of points here.

First, I took the advice of others and went back to look at some of your posts.   Yes, it appears you have been involved with models for some time.  I found it interesting, however, that on May 31, 2018, you wrote "I am willing to support the hobby even though I don't fly."

Does this mean you do not fly CLPA?  If so, then you are an observer looking in on an event with which you have little or no experience and you are telling us how it needs to be improved.  You are certainly entitled to your own opinions, however misinformed they may be.

Over the years, there have been numerous attempts from various people to eliminate the BOM from our CLPA event with the claim that this is a flying event.  Those initiatives have been thwarted by the majority in this event that consider CLPA, as we believe it to be, is a modeling event which includes the building AND flying these model airplanes, thus we have provisions in the rules for appearance based on a BOM rule and a very carefully worded section in our CLPA rules that define what the BOM requirements are.  This CLPA BOM rule is based essentially on the fact that the majority of the CLPA community understand that purchased wings have been a part of our event since foam wings (built by others) first appeared in contests, including the Nationals as early as the 60's.  (It could be argued that since foam wings have appeared in kits for various designs/events, that such foam wings could be considered as part of the "average kit" that was in the applicable BOM rule extant at that time.)  Certainly, Event Directors at the Nationals found no problem when these  models appeared including two people who had significant influence in the evolution of our event and the National CLPA event including George Aldrich and Bill Netzeband.

In the following, I believe your definition of a "true CRAFTSMAN" is one who completely starts from scratch using original plans to build a model)

Now, let's fast forward to the present.  I am sure you are aware that our CLPA enthusiasts represent a broad band of interests and capabilities, both in the designing, construction, flying, and contest participation.  So, let's address those who are interested in contest participation.  This encompasses those who are only interested in local or even regional level participation where some are totally satisfied with ARF and RTF or borrowed airplanes foregoing any appearance points to those who participate at the highest level of competition including from the few really competitive regional contests to the Nats and to our US CLPA fliers who participate in the FAI F2B event.  Even at the Nationals, some will fly models they did not build in the Skill Classes, willingly giving up appearance points and are not concerned if they or those they compete against are the "true craftsmen" you say should only be competing in our CLPA event.  Now, let's look at those competing at the highest levels. 

You should be aware that most of the competitors capable of competing in the top 20 rounds of the Nats build their own models entirely from scratch.  Many of those, at least a significant majority, use their own design.  You will also find that the models these competitors bring to contests are generally capable of being found in the front 3 or 4 rows during the Nats appearance judgeing, so there is very little difference to discern one master modeler from the other regarding "CRAFTSMANSHIP".  So, the question becomes, what would be gained by trying to improve our event by somehow giving additional credit for elements of appearance over the the curent system?  Right now, the system seems to work fairly well and the participants seen comfortable with it.   For an interloper who does not fly/compete in this event to come in and make absurd claims of what the event should be will not be warmly received.

Sure, people can use a procured wing.  But the important parts in a CLPA model is the skill and craftsmanship of the builder to align the components, install the control system, apply the finish, integrate the power train while maintaining some weight control and then deal with flight trim.

You are correct on one thing.  What you think regarding this matter will not change anything.  I hope you have had fun in the meantime.

Keith

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2018, 04:02:10 PM »

Cool, I'm very intersted to see the 'guts' of this ship. Can we expect a build log, or some vids?
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2018, 04:33:56 PM »
Now, this is just a thought. I think Appearance point score should be the value of at least one maneuver for a total of 40 points. Seeing is it takes 2-400 hours to produce a quality model. This is the value it use to be. this offers a bigger spread between the front row and the last row of planes.

Thought number 2. With the 40 point system, you could award a value of 10 for buy and fly models.
AMA 12366

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2018, 04:49:36 PM »
Now, this is just a thought. I think Appearance point score should be the value of at least one maneuver for a total of 40 points. Seeing is it takes 2-400 hours to produce a quality model. This is the value it use to be. this offers a bigger spread between the front row and the last row of planes.

Thought number 2. With the 40 point system, you could award a value of 10 for buy and fly models.

That would result in a potential 30 point disadvantage for flying an ARF, rather than the current 20 points. That alone could result in less participation.

Perhaps a different solution would be to separate BOM and non-BOM into two distinct groups, then the top 5 ( or some other number ) from each group move on to a final flyoff with no appearance points awarded. Best pattern wins. If the stick built, hand rubbed flyer gets beat by an ARF it’s then all about the flying.

I have my flame proof underwear on, so go ahead and torch me.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2018, 05:13:50 PM »
Sparky....You've squalked about that for years.
There are full rule change procedured and forms on the AMA web site.

Have fun!

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2018, 05:24:22 PM »
That would result in a potential 30 point disadvantage for flying an ARF, rather than the current 20 points. That alone could result in less participation.

Perhaps a different solution would be to separate BOM and non-BOM into two distinct groups, then the top 5 ( or some other number ) from each group move on to a final flyoff with no appearance points awarded. Best pattern wins. If the stick built, hand rubbed flyer gets beat by an ARF it’s then all about the flying.

I have my flame proof underwear on, so go ahead and torch me.

IF we are talking  about  the  NATs  then  for  jr   sr  and  open, you cannot  fly ARFs  anyway, they are not eligible to fly
They can fly in the  PAMPA advance  and other  skill class events, just they do not  get any points at all  for  appearance

Randy

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2018, 10:25:41 PM »
but the "whole objective" is to win the event (or at least do your best) while adhering to the established rules.

??? Bu##er , that means 29,978 are goig to be dissapointed .  :P

Actually , some people do it RECREATIONALLY .
The ' you got a prize ' ( particularly if its Not a Aeromudling related object ), can be a bit purile . If your turning up To keep the Event Going .  :-X

Though of course the Top Ten or Whatever are ( top 5 ? ) worthy of their dedication and singleminded objectivity .
 Particular;y if they fly B T/R too.  LL~

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2018, 10:34:50 PM »
Not Sure THIS wouldnt be a better bet , Sparky . Being more of the U.S.A. in the aerodynamics Dept. ?

Mr TDM ( Dunno if he has a yamaha or its the objectivity & persevearance to see the project through Tee Dee uuM )
may be looking at ' production ' . Certainly theyre available at a comparable fiscal component .

Shoulda been N P 86 C , off course .

" I MADE IT MYSELF " .  ;D :-X

Offline Roy DeCamara

• Lieutenant
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2018, 11:23:15 PM »
Hey Randy!!  I'll be happy to share some balsa.  Of course, while the tree is growing I have to build a sawmill to process the balsa.  Even before that I have to build a kiln to dry the very wet balsa tree.  Gee, I might not live lone enough to make all the things to construct a model airplane.   Dope, how does one make that stuff???  What about silkspan??  Could that be made from balsa chips???  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2018, 05:12:49 AM »
After much thought I've decided to delete my one post on this thread. It dawned on me that we have all been trolled by an insignificant, misinformed, malcontent. The best way to deal with him - or any troll - is to just not respond. What do we care what he thinks about how we enjoy our pastime? We all have better things to do than to change such a mind.

My last thoughts on this thread...

Bob Hunt
Modeler

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #87 on: August 01, 2018, 07:38:23 AM »
Start your event.  I will enter it.  I build my planes WITHOUT a plan.  Will I get more points since I don't have someone else telling me where to cut things?  I just do it myself right out of my head!  Been that way since 2002. Bring it on....

Yes, we have been waiting years for plans  LL~

But in the ancient tradition of the Moon tribe, building must be learned without plans, instructions, or power tools!   n~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
Steve

Offline Doug Moon

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #88 on: August 01, 2018, 07:51:45 AM »
Yes, we have been waiting years for plans  LL~

But in the ancient tradition of the Moon tribe, building must be learned without plans, instructions, or power tools!   n~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Doug Moon
AMA 496454
Dougmoon12@yahoo.com

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2018, 08:35:38 AM »
Haven't we already had this discussion?

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline JoeJust

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2018, 08:57:41 AM »
Who ever the guy is (or was) in the picture has it right!  The government built it! After all, they have the printing press to make the money, not you!
Joe
I only enter contests so somebody else is not always in last place

Offline Jim Mynes

• Commander
  • Chelsea, ME
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2018, 12:45:27 PM »
IF we are talking  about  the  NATs  then  for  jr   sr  and  open, you cannot  fly ARFs  anyway, they are not eligible to fly
They can fly in the  PAMPA advance  and other  skill class events, just they do not  get any points at all  for  appearance

Randy

This is true, under the current rules.

Sparky suggested a change to the rules, presumably one that suits him because he’s good at making shiny airplanes. Then he threw a bone to ARF flyers, 10 points, thanks for coming. But the net result is a widening of the gap.
I suggested an alternative rule change that suits me better, because I don’t have mad building and finishing skills. Me flying a plane that I built is not unheard of, but lately it’s a rare event.

It’s a moot point, because neither idea is going to get any traction.

One day I may build a world beater and get a few extra points, but it’s going to be a while.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2018, 02:37:33 PM »
This is true, under the current rules.

Sparky suggested a change to the rules, presumably one that suits him because he’s good at making shiny airplanes. Then he threw a bone to ARF flyers, 10 points, thanks for coming. But the net result is a widening of the gap.

I suggest a rule change Backward to the spirit of the event. Build your own model. After all it is the National Aero modeling event and not the National Aero Buying event.
AMA 12366

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2018, 03:31:55 PM »
I suggest a rule change Backward to the spirit of the event. Build your own model. After all it is the National Aero modeling event and not the National Aero Buying event.

In the grand scheme of things it wouldn't change the lineup of the top-10 guys at all.  Period.  They would still build their own planes at the highest level and trim them and fly them at the highest level of competition.  Seriously, the top 5-10 all build planes that are in the 17-20 point range.  That only gives a spread of 3-5 points max in the appearance points, which basically invalidates that aspect of the contest.  They don't show up with a scabby junker.  If BOM went away tomorrow, the same 10 guys would still be the same 10 guys and the overall scoring spread in the flying contest would still be the same.  Buffering the BOM rules up to 40points would yield the same outcome.  The top guys would still be the top guys.  They build nice planes.  They also fly them better than most.  So to go to bigger appearance points gift to someone with a more unique/shinier plane would still not really change the lineup.   The top guys would just show up with more unique/shinier planes and move on with the flying contest.

Imho, it's just a way to make the lower tier of expert fliers feel like they might just be able to make it into the club with the big boys.  It won't.  Fly better.  Some guys are just better/ more talented/more practiced/disciplined than others.   That's what will get you there. 
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2018, 03:33:54 PM »
Ah Spark.....you're one of about ten that think that way....the Nationals will become a battle between a half dozen "builders"....I wager you still wouldn't win.

Online Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2018, 05:33:27 PM »
The plane I build has part of me and my efforts within it.  I know every part of it, inside and out.  I may not be thrilled with the paint or alignment or my flying, but it was my best effort and the next one will be better.  Even if it isn't a world beater, it is flying as well as I was able to make it.  I can be proud of that.  It is MY airplane. 

Or, put another way:

A hotrod built at home is a reflection on my efforts and might be part of the family.  It has character.

A rented or purchased performance car that eats mine for lunch is a nice car, but there is no LOVE involved.  It is an appliance.

It may not be favored by the contest rules, but why would you want to fly something you didn't build?  If you buy to get something better than you can build, learn how to build better.

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2018, 06:47:42 PM »
  If BOM went away tomorrow, the same 10 guys would still be the same 10 guys and the overall scoring spread in the flying contest would still be the same.  Buffering the BOM rules up to 40points would yield the same outcome. 

So whats wrong with going back to the way it use to be and make it the value of one maneuver?

Ah Spark.....you're one of about ten that think that way....the Nationals will become a battle between a half dozen "builders"....I wager you still wouldn't win.

I probably never win because of the practice time required to fly at that level
AMA 12366

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2018, 07:07:13 PM »
So whats wrong with going back to the way it use to be and make it the value of one maneuver?

Because it really wouldn't change the outcomes at all.  The top guys would show up with a plane equally as pretty (as yours) and still kick arse in the flying competition.  You could assign a value of eleventy billion to appearance and the spread of appearance points among the top fliers would still be very narrow because they are all elite builders as well.  That's what I meant by my comment that the appearance portion is basically invalid to the final score of the top competitors.  The narrowness of the spread means that it doesn't have a huge impact on the outcome unless the flying scores are within 2 points of each other.  Once they reach the top 5, it's a flyoff, also.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2018, 07:11:04 PM »
Because it really wouldn't change the outcomes at all.  The top guys would show up with a plane equally as pretty (as yours) and still kick arse in the flying competition.  You could assign a value of eleventy billion to appearance and the spread of appearance points among the top fliers would still be very narrow because they are all elite builders as well.  That's what I meant by my comment that the appearance portion is basically invalid to the final score of the top competitors.  The narrowness of the spread means that it doesn't have a huge impact on the outcome unless the flying scores are within 2 points of each other.  Once they reach the top 5, it's a flyoff, also.

Top guys can win with a ringmaster. But at least If 40 points were awarded for building it would be worth all the time and money invested. This is not a flying only competition FAI is. AMA NATS is a modelers competition.
AMA 12366

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2018, 07:15:39 PM »
Top guys can win with a ringmaster. But at least If 40 points were awarded for building it would be worth all the time and money invested.

Ah, the "can win with a ringmaster" straw man argument.  A favorite, and rampant, stunt misconception.  Don't recall seeing any s-1 Ringmasters in use on top 5 day.  Anyhew...

Would 40 points have gotten you in the contention for the Walker Cup this year?  Is your plane that much nicer than Walker's or Chris Cox's?

With respect, the answer is obviously no.  You are an elite builder, but so are they.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 01:36:31 AM by Brent Williams »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here