News:

• April 18, 2024, 12:08:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Identify a CS engine  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Identify a CS engine
« on: September 20, 2021, 04:40:19 PM »
Some years back I came across an engine (from somewhere) which sat on the shelf. Yesterday I decided to run it and discovered it ran very well. Now I’d like to find some information about it. It is a CS 36, it has a square head. Hobby Club online identifies a CS engine (China) but it looks nothing like mine with a square head. I have reached out to them. Anyone have any thoughts?

Steve

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Identify a CS engine
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 08:27:14 PM »
   The size of the square head and the short looking crank shaft threads make me think it may be helicopter oriented, or an R/C car offshoot, but the .36 displacement is kind of out of place for either.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline qaz049

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 10:27:46 PM »

Possibly a copy/clone of an ENYA 35X Heli engine. These are still available from Ken Enya directly from Japan. I have one NIB and it's a substantial engine built to the quality we've come to expect from Enya.

CS often produced sample engines that they sent to Hobby Distributors etc. These were usually quite good. It was the production ones which had the quality control problems.

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 12:09:37 PM »
A contact at Hobby Distributors came back to say the Chinese Engine company that built this engine went out of business many years back. He thinks it was made in the 80's on a limited basis, apparently it didn't sell well. There are no parts available, it probably should go on a museum shelf somewhere as part of the history of CL engines. I'll let the kids decide what to do with it after I'm long gone.

Steve

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »
A contact at Hobby Distributors came back to say the Chinese Engine company that built this engine went out of business many years back. He thinks it was made in the 80's on a limited basis, apparently it didn't sell well. There are no parts available, it probably should go on a museum shelf somewhere as part of the history of CL engines. I'll let the kids decide what to do with it after I'm long gone.

Steve

Well, since you have run it, might as well put it to work! Is it an ABC type engine? If the materials used and fits are up to snuff, you could probably fly the engine to really test it out. If it sucks, oil it up for that museum shelf. If it runs and handles well, think what a great conversation piece it will be at the flying field and on the contest circuit!!! We'll have guys posting to the classifieds looking for them!!  Why let a good engine go to waste and just sit?
    Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 04:55:30 PM »
Dan,

I ran it on 15% nitro 20% synthetic and it didn't appear to over heat, hard to tell if it's an ABC it does have a ring on the piston. It's a good little runner but here's the thing, it has a mounting lug pattern matching a Fox 35 and a Saito 40. Nothing else comes close. It's a little beefy weighing 8.55 oz w/o muffler and 11.40 oz with muffler. The Saito with a muffler is 10.9 and the Fox without a muffler is 6.0. I don't know what they were trying to accomplish or compete with in sales in the 80s but clearly it came in way to heavy and went nowhere.

I agree, I can find a place to use it, probably on an old profile where a Fox is mounted.

Steve

Offline GERALD WIMMER

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
    • Auckland Free Flight Club
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 04:41:28 AM »
Hello from what I remember the CS company were making full size aircraft or were a technical aviation school in Shanghai China and went on to make model engines. They had a very good engine designer(s) who flew control line speed and designed some very good engines for speed , race and stunt then latter they made RC and collector 'replica' vintage engines. Quality varied a lot but when you got a good one they went very well . I only have one left an 09 Diesel I used to fly in our 09 diesel class of combat we had back in the 1980's -90's. Here's an interesting report on an early racing 15:

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/CS%202.5.html

Regards Gerald

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 06:06:19 AM »
Apparently CS China was also making Marine glow engines in the 80s as well. Some information exists on this design engine if you look around the web. Not much pops up on their square head design thou. Where is the largest historical collection of model airplanes and engines located?

Steve

Online EricV

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 07:00:53 AM »
Forgive my poor recollection but I think Curtis Comer was the guy who took a real shot at making CS engines work for stunt back when I was visiting the Huntersville contests. Curtis was a neat guy and while he didn't fit the mold stereotype, he was a fierce competitor despite his calm and self effacing demeanor.  As I remember, I think their were some QC and longevity issues with the production versions of the CS... he used to call them China Shang or China Shark or something like that... man, giving myself a brain cramp trying to remember... maybe Will or one of the Carolina gang can jump in here and save me further embarrassment, heh.
EricV

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 07:08:25 AM »
   I was surfing some stuff on eBay last night and came across an auction for am OS .32SX in full helicopter fittings and the CS resembles that also. May or may not be a clone of the .32 series. These started with the .32F and came in heli version and with an airplane type head. There was no factory C/L versions that I am aware of and an aftermarket venturi and NVA are needed.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824

Offline Steve Dwyer

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 09:48:17 AM »
Early on when this engine ended up in my hands, someone told me it could very well have been a helicopter engine. I would not expect it to be powerful enough for use in a helicopter though.  It may have had a carburetor on it at one time, the venturi could be OS or something close, the NVA closely resembles a ST style. Who knows??

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here